Are You Gonna Be My Girl
|"Are You Gonna Be My Girl"|
|Single by Jet|
|from the album Get Born|
|Released||August 25, 2003|
|Genre||Garage rock revival, hard rock|
|Writer(s)||Nic Cester, Cameron Muncey|
|Jet singles chronology|
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is a song by Australian rock band Jet, featured on their 2003 album, Get Born. It was the first single from the album, released in 2003 in Australia and the United Kingdom, and in 2004 in the United States. Written by Nic Cester and Cameron Muncey, the song is often cited for similarities to Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" (particularly its drum pattern and near-identical guitar riff);  and the 1999 song "Screwdriver" from The White Stripes.  The band, however, argues that "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" has more in common with 60s' Motown songs, namely "I'm Ready For Love" by Martha And The Vandellas and "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Supremes. The song hit number 29 on the Billboard Hot 100 making it their 1st Top 40 hit and their highest charting single, it also hit number 3 on the Modern Rock Tracks and number 7 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks. Even though it did not hit number one like the next hit, "Cold Hard Bitch", "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" stayed longer on the charts and is the band's most successful song, often regarded as their signature song.
Chris Cester responded to the media debacle, stating in a Jared Story interview that the beat was taken from Motown, referring to a meeting between Iggy Pop and himself:
"It's funny because I asked him point blank about that. He said I was crazy. He said that when he and David Bowie were writing "Lust for Life", they were ripping off Motown's beat. It's funny that he said that to me because we also thought we were ripping off Motown more than "Lust for Life". To be honest with you that kind of annoyed me a lot, because I always thought it was really lazy. People just go well Lust for Life is more well-known so that's what they go for, but if you listen to a song like "You Can't Hurry Love" (The Supremes) I think you'll find its closer to "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" than "Lust for Life" ever was. And that's what Iggy said as well." 
Covers and other versions
An acoustic version of the song features on the bonus CD of Get Born. "Kidz Bop" covered for their sixth album Kidz Bop 6. Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine covered it in a Vegas Lounge style on the 2004 album I'd Like a Virgin. Australian singer Delta Goodrem covered the song on her Visualize Tour in 2005. Irish pop punk band TheElement also covered this song in their shows in Europe in 2011.
The music video is shot in black and white, and shows Jet performing in a blank studio. As they play, black ink starts pouring out of their equipment and forms a landscape resembling the cover art on their album Get Born and The Beatles album Revolver. The video was shot at Vinopolis, London. Note that in the video Cameron Muncey can be seen wearing an AC/DC shirt.
Use in popular culture
- The song was used in the film Eurotrip.
- The song was used in the film What Happens in Vegas.
- The song was featured in the music video game Rock Band.
- The song was featured in the film Flushed Away.
- The song is used as the main theme song for the Live at the Apollo (TV series)
- The song is used in an episode of the TV show Zoey 101.
- The song is used in the first episode of the TV show One Tree Hill
- iTunes EP
- "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
- "Last Chance"
- "Hey Kids"
- "You Were Right"
- iTunes EP
- "Are You Gonna Be My Girl (UK Acoustic Version)"
- "Thats Alright Mama"
- "Cigarettes and Cola"
- "You Were Right"
- "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
- Nic Cester – lead vocals, guitar
- Chris Cester – drums, tambourine, backing vocals
- Cameron Muncey – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Mark Wilson – bass guitar
|Germany (Official German Charts)||49|
|Irish Singles Chart||18|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||21|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||22|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||17|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||16|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Top 40||16|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||29|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||7|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||3|
|U.S. Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||16|
|U.S. Billboard Top 40 Tracks||22|
Awards and nominations
|2007||"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" - Nicholas Cester, Cameron Muncey||Most Performed Australian Work Overseas||Won|
- Heather Phares. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl review on Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2 July 2013. ""Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" is one of the most immediate -- if not creative -- singles to come out of the garage-rock revival of the early 2000s."
- Eliscu, Jenny (8 April 2004). "Jet's High Times". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 27 November 2006. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- musicOMH.com single review
- "Jet gets reborn". Uptown Magazine. October 15, 2009.[dead link]
- WatchMojo.com: Top 10 Sound-alike Songs
- Top 10 Sound-alike Songs
- Phares, Heather. Kidz Bop Kids: Kidz Bop, Vol. 6 > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- "Australian-charts.com – Jet – Are You Gonna Be My Girl". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Officialcharts.de – Jet – Are You Gonna Be My Girl". GfK Entertainment.
- "Are you gonna be my girl in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved 2 July 2013. Only one result when searching "Are you gonna be my girl"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jet search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Jet – Are You Gonna Be My Girl" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jet – Are You Gonna Be My Girl". Top 40 Singles.
- "2004 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 5th June 2004". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Jet awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Jet – Are You Gonna Be My Girl" (in French). Les classement single.
- "APRA History". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Archived from the original on 23 March 2010. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "2007 Winners - APRA Music Awards". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 2 May 2010.
No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age
|Triple J Hottest 100 Winner
Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand