Area codes 215 and 267
Area code 215 was one of the original area codes established in 1947 and originally included the entire southeastern part of the Commonwealth, from the Delaware border to the Lehigh Valley. Given the rotary dialing technology in use at the time, the North American Numbering Plan Administrator wanted to keep the number of "clicks" to a minimum for large cities. For this reason, Philadelphia was given an area code with eight clicks.
On January 8, 1994, the area served by 215 was split. Most of its western portion--Philadelphia's southern and western suburbs, most of Berks County and the Lehigh Valley--changed to area code 610, while Philadelphia and its northern suburbs remained 215.
This was intended as a long-term solution, but within two years 215 was close to exhaustion due to the rapid growth of the Philadelphia area and the proliferation of cell phones and pagers. The supply of numbers was further limited because the entire state of Delaware is part of the Philadelphia LATA, meaning several exchanges in Delaware's 302 weren't available for use. To solve the problem, overlay code 267 was established July 1, 1997.
The 215/267 area codes serve all or part of five counties in Pennsylvania.
- Berks County (extreme eastern portion)
- Bucks County (all but northeastern portion, which is served by 610/484)
- Lehigh County (extreme southern portion)
- Montgomery County (northern and eastern area, rest of county served by 610/484)
- Philadelphia County (all)
Places with over 30,000 inhabitants
- Darling, David (2004). The Universal Book of Mathematics: From Abracadabra to Zeno's Paradoxes. John Wiley & Sons. p. 23. ISBN 0471270474. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- PDF (582 KiB)
- PDF (64.5 KiB)
- Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. Area Code 215 and 267 Map (Map). http://www.puc.state.pa.us/telecom/pdf/areacode/215_ACMap.pdf. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- List of Pennsylvania area codes
- NANPA Area Code Map of Pennsylvania
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 215 Area Code
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 267 Area Code
|Pennsylvania area codes: 215, 267, 412, 484, 570, 610, 717, 724, 814, 878|
|North: 484/610/835, 908|
|West: 484/610/835||215/267||East: 609|
|New Jersey area codes: 201, 551, 609, 732, 848, 856, 862, 908, 973|