Area code 502
Area code 502 serves the state of Kentucky's north central counties, primarily Louisville, its suburbs, and the state capital of Frankfort. Its service area encompasses the following Kentucky counties (the boundary closely, but not exactly, tracks county lines):
- Anderson County
- Bullitt County
- Carroll County
- Franklin County
- Henry County
- Jefferson County
- Nelson County
- Oldham County
- Owen County
- Scott County
- Shelby County
- Spencer County
- Trimble County
- The Fort Knox Army base, which also spreads into Bullitt County
- The city of Muldraugh, located in Meade County and surrounded by Fort Knox
- The city of West Point in Hardin County and its surrounding area, which is cut off from the rest of Hardin County by Fort Knox
Besides Louisville and Frankfort, major cities in the 502 territory include Georgetown, Shelbyville, and Bardstown. Although Georgetown is in the 502 area code, it is considered long-distance to call other cities in the 502 area code, but not Lexington, which is in the 859 area code.
The area code was one of the first established in October 1947, initially covering the entire state of Kentucky. The eastern half of the state split off as area code 606 in 1954, while the western half split off as 270 in 1999.
- "364 will be Kentucky's newest area code - New number will cover western portion of current area code 270" (Press release). Kentucky Public Service Commission. 2007-06-13. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Planning Letter 155: Split of 502 Numbering Plan Area (NPA) in Kentucky". Lockheed Martin (North American Numbering Plan Administration). February 1, 1999. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
|Kentucky area codes: 270/364, 502, 606, 859|
|West: 812||Area code 502||East: 859|
|South: 270/364, 859|
|Indiana area codes: 219, 260, 317, 574, 765, 812(/930)|
|This article related to a telephone area code is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kentucky-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Louisville metro area-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|