Area code 814
Area code 814 is a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, U.S. telephone area code, which serves its northwestern and central regions, including the cities of Altoona, Bradford, DuBois, Erie, Meadville, Oil City, Johnstown, St. Marys, and Warren as well as the boroughs of State College, Brockway, Clearfield, Huntingdon, Bedford, Clarion, Punxsutawney, Tyrone, Ebensburg, Coudersport, and Brookville, as well as other boroughs and townships throughout northwestern and central Pennsylvania.
814 is one of the original area codes established in 1947, and is the largest in Pennsylvania in terms of area. It is the only one of Pennsylvania's original four area codes, and one of the few original area codes not covering an entire state, that has never been split or overlaid. Despite the presence of Johnstown, Altoona, State College, and Erie, this region is largely rural.
In December 2019, due to the fact that 814 is getting close to exhaustion, a geographic split was approved, with Erie and most of the northwestern portion switching to the new area code 582. The split—the first in the NANPA area to take place since 2007—would take place in early 2012 unless the exhaust date moves back farther or the decision is overturned.
Almost immediately after the public utilities commission decision, a grassroots movement began circulating an online petition to request the PA-PUC cancel the split, in favor of an overlay plan. The telecommunications industry have also submitted petitions for an overturning of the split and replacing with an 814/582 overlay as well.
As of February 27, 2012, the projected exhaust date for 814 has moved out to the second quarter of 2018.
Split plan dismissed
On April 26, 2012 the PUC voted 5–0 to dismiss the plans to split the 814 and revoke the implementation schedule.
Counties that use this area code
The 814 area code serves parts of twenty-seven counties in Pennsylvania.
- Armstrong County (northeastern portion only)
- Bedford County
- Blair County
- Cambria County
- Cameron County
- Centre County (majority of area)
- Clarion County (all except portions of west)
- Clearfield County
- Clinton County (small portions)
- Crawford County (all except southwestern portion)
- Elk County
- Erie County
- Fayette County (a small portion may be assigned to 814, but most if not all uses 724)
- Forest County
- Fulton County (western portions)
- Huntingdon County (except Kishacoquillas Valley)
- Indiana County (eastern portions only)
- Jefferson County
- McKean County
- Mercer County (extreme northeatsern portion)
- Mifflin County (extreme southwestern corner only)
- Potter County
- Somerset County
- Tioga County (western portions only)
- Venango County (all except southeastern corner)
- Warren County
- Westmoreland County (extreme northeastern corner only)
- McKracken, Denise. "PUC Dismisses Petition for 814 Area Code Relief". Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- North American Numbering Plan Administration
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 814 Area Code
- Area code to run out of numbers
- 814 area code map
- Save814 Public Advocates
|Pennsylvania area codes: 215, 267, 412, 484, 570, 610, 717, 724, 814, 878|
|North: 519/226, 585, 607, 716, Lake Erie|
|West: 412, 724/878, 440||area code 814||East: 570, 717|
|Maryland area codes: 240/301, 410/443/667|
|New Jersey area codes: 201, 551, 609, 732, 848, 856, 862, 908, 973|
|Ohio area codes: 216, 220, 234, 330, 419, 440, 513, 567, 614, 740, 937|
|Ontario area codes: 226, 249, 289, 343, 365, 416, 519, 613, 647, 705, 807, 905|