Area codes 919 and 984
Area code 919 is a telephone area code serving all or parts of 11 counties in the east-central area of the U.S. state of North Carolina. Area code 984, created as an overlay in 2011, also covers the same area. They serve the primary cities of Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill/Carrboro, and the surrounding suburban areas of the Research Triangle metropolitan area, as well as the outlying towns and nearby rural areas of Oxford to the north, Sanford to the south, and Goldsboro to the southeast.
Area code 919 was split off from area code 704, the state's original area code, in 1954. It originally covered the entire eastern part of the state from Winston-Salem to Wilmington. In 1993, the western and southern portions of the area code were split off to form area code 910. In 1998, the northeastern portion was split off to form area code 252.
Area code 984 was initially slated for overlay with area code 919 in 2001, but was deferred ten years when the supply of numbers was deemed sufficient for the near term. In September 2011, the North Carolina Utilities Commission announced that the 984 area code was being pressed into service. Ten-digit dialing for local calls became optional on October 1, 2011, and became mandatory across the Triangle on March 31, 2012. New telephone numbers in the affected region may be assigned the new 984 area code as early as April, 2012.
Counties served 
- Alamance (small portion in northeast, most of county is in 336)
- Chatham (except small portion in northwest which is in 336)
- Duplin (north-central portion, most of county is in 910)
- Franklin (except portion in northwest, which is in 252)
- Harnett (most of west and north is 919/984, rest of county is 910)
- Orange (except sliver in northwest, which is in 336)
- Wayne (except sliver in southeast which is in 252)
Major cities and towns 
Cultural References 
North Carolina native Petey Pablo paid respect to area code 919 on his debut album Diary Of A Sinner: 1st Entry.
In the musical Rent, one of Alexi Darling's contact numbers left on Mark and Roger's answering machine has a 919 area code, even though she is an agent in New York City.
See also 
- Docket P-100, Sub 137B. North Carolina Utilities Commission PDF
- "10-digit dialing begins this spring in Triangle". WRAL. September 21, 2011. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- "FAQs About Area Code Change". News and Observer. March 30, 2012. pp. A2.
|North Carolina area codes: 252, 336, 704, 828, 910, 919, 980|
|West: 336||919/984||East: 252|
|Virginia area codes: 276, 434, 540, 571, 703, 757, 804|
|This article related to a telephone area code is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|