Telephone numbers in Austria
The area code zones approximately follow the boundaries of the states, but Burgenland, Vorarlberg, East Tyrol and the western part of Lower Austria are assigned to other areas.
|Country calling code||+43|
|International call prefix||00|
There are no standard lengths for either area codes or subscribers' numbers in Austria, meaning that some subscribers' numbers may be as short as three digits. Larger towns have shorter area codes permitting longer subscriber numbers in that area. Some examples:
|00||International call prefix|
|118 xxx||Directory assistance services|
|147||Telephone counselling for children (Rat auf Draht)|
|15xx||General information services (time etc.)|
|050x||Virtual private network (VPN)|
|0650||Cell phones (Telering)|
|0660||Cell phones (Drei)|
|0664||Cell phones (A1)|
|0676||Cell phones (T-Mobile)|
|0680||Cell phones (BoB)|
|0681||Cell phones (Yesss)|
|0688||Cell phones (Tele2)|
|0699||Cell phones (Orange Austria / Yesss)|
|0718||Internet dial-up numbers|
|0720||Location independent landline numbers|
|0780||Convergent services with ENUM (VoIP)|
|0800||National free call|
|00800||International free call|
|0804||Internet dial-up numbers|
The number-assignment of the cell phones can vary, due to number portability.
- Yesss and Tele2 are using the network-infrastructure of Orange. Yesss is a discount-offer of Orange.
- BoB is a discount-offer of A1 and therefore uses its network-infrastructure.
- Since 2006 Telering is fully owned by and integrated into T-Mobile and therefore uses its network-infrastructure.
Mobile phone codes
In ascending numeric order:
|Telering1 and Schwarzfunk2||T-Mobile||650|
- 1 Telering was bought by T-Mobile in 2005. As of 2006, Telering uses the network-infrastructure of T-Mobile. As a special requirement of the European commission, many of the former transmitters and frequencies previously operated by Telering were given to Orange and Drei.
- 2 BoB is a discount service of A1, Yesss and Eety is a discount service of Orange. Schwarzfunk is a discount service of T-Mobile.
Due to number portability, the code is not a safe way to evaluate the provider of a phone number. The providers assign only in exceptional cases (special sort of custom numbers, more expensive) non-existing numbers with a different prefix, and this is handled similar as porting an existing number from the desired network. However, the providers still have the administrative sovereignty over their own prefix.
Special / Service codes
|public (emergency) services||1xx|
|phone breakdown advice||111|
|generic emergency service||112|
|car breakdown assistance (ÖAMTC)||120|
|fire department (emergency)||122|
|car breakdown assistance (ARBÖ)||123|
|telephone counseling for children (Rat auf Draht)||147|
|dial-up / ISP||804|
|premium rate dialers||939|
|services with regulated max. tariffs||820|
|telekom austria premium rate services||711|
|numbers for convergent services||780|
|virtual private network (VPN)||50x|