The Knight in the Area
|The Knight in the Area|
The ninth volume of the original Japanese release of The Knight in the Area released by Kodansha on February 18, 2008
(Area no Kishi)
|Genre||Sports (Association football)|
|Written by||Shin Kibayashi|
|Illustrated by||Kaya Tsukiyama|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Magazine|
|Original run||2006 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hirofumi Ogura|
|Music by||Yasunori Iwasaki
|Original run||January 7, 2012 – September 28, 2012|
The Knight in the Area (Japanese: エリアの騎士 Hepburn: Area no Kishi?) is a Japanese manga series written by Hiroaki Igano and illustrated by Kaya Tsukiyama. The series was adapted into an anime by Shin-Ei Animation and broadcast on TV Asahi beginning January 7, 2012.
Kakeru Aizawa is the younger brother to Suguru Aizawa, a soccer prodigy belonging to Japan's under–15 national team. Prior to the series, Kakeru quits his position as a forward after a traumatic experience prevented him from playing with his left leg and settles for a managerial position. After the two are hit by a truck, Suguru dies and has his heart transplanted into Kakeru. With it, Kakeru returns to football to achieve his brother's dream of winning the World Cup.
- Kakeru Aizawa (逢沢 駆 Aizawa Kakeru?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Sanpei
- Suguru's younger brother. Originally a forward, but due to his weakness on his left side he works as the team manager of the soccer club, though secretly practices soccer in the park at night. Things began to change as his childhood friend Mishima Nana returns to Japan one day. A road accident causes Kakeru to realize his dream of playing soccer. Araki, a person that is said to have a better final pass than Suguru. Kakeru becomes a friend of Araki because his brother admired him.
- Nana Mishima (美島 奈々 Mishima Nana?)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Itō
- A childhood friend of Suguru and Kakeru, nicknamed Seven. Since returning from Los Angeles, she has become a manager, like Kakeru. She is skilled in soccer and has a mysterious relation to Silva.
- Suguru Aizawa (逢沢 傑 Aizawa Suguru?)
- Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama, Motoko Kumai (child)
- Suguru Aizawa is a genius midfielder and captain of the school soccer team, who even starred in the U-15 team for Japan. He is expected by many to shoulder the future of Japan's football world. He is aware of little brother's talent as a soccer player and is irritated by Kakeru's lack of motivation. In Volume 2 Suguru has an accident and he donates his heart to Kakeru who is on the verge of dying, knowing that he, too, doesn't have much time to live. Giving his heart to Kakeru, he also gives his dream of winning the world cup.
The series is written by Hiroaki Igano and illustrated by Kaya Tsukiyama. The series is serialized in Weekly Shōnen Magazine beginning in 2006. Over 43 volumes has been compiled from the individual chapters.
The adaptation of the series into an anime was first announced in Weekly Shōnen Magazine's 43rd issue in 2011. It is produced by Shin-Ei Animation and directed by Hirofumi Ogura. On January 5, 2012, Crunchyroll announced it will simulcast The Knight in the Area. The series premiered on January 7, 2012 on TV Asahi.
- "Knight in the Area staff list" (in Japanese). TV Asahi. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- Credits from "I Like Soccer". The Knight in the Area. January 7, 2012. TV Asahi.
- "The Knight in the Area Soccer Manga Gets Anime". Anime News Network. September 16, 2011. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- Emily Balistrieri (January 5, 2012). ""The Knight in the Area" Anime Joins Crunchyroll's 2012 Winter Season". Crunchyroll. Archived from the original on January 29, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "The Knight in the Area episode 1" (in Japanese). TV Asahi. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- Official Kodansha manga site (Japanese)
- The Knight in the Area (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Official TV Asahi anime site (Japanese)
- The Knight in the Area (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia