Area of special scientific interest
An area of special scientific interest or ASSI is a conservation designation denoting a protected area in Northern Ireland. ASSIs are the equivalent of sites of special scientific interest (SSSIs) in the rest of the United Kingdom.
They are the basic building block of site-based nature conservation legislation and most other legal nature/geological conservation designations in Northern Ireland are based upon them, including national nature reserves, Ramsar sites, Special Protection Areas, and Special Areas of Conservation.
- Conservation in the United Kingdom
- List of SSSIs by Area of Search
- List of ASSIs in Northern Ireland
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee
- Environment & Heritage Service Northern Ireland clickable map plus notes of Areas of Special Scientific Interest in Northern Ireland
|This Northern Ireland–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|