||August 1, 1987
||Pittsburgh Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
||Gary Mullen, WR/DB, Denver
|Ironman of the Game
||Steve Trimble, WR/DB, Denver
||Bob Rathbun, Lee Corso
Arena Bowl '87 (or Arena Bowl I) was the Arena Football League's very first Arena Bowl. In this match-up, it pitted the #2 Denver Dynamite against the #1 Pittsburgh Gladiators. Both teams finished their seasons at 4-2, yet the Gladiators led in points for (268-261) and points against (199-252).
This is the only ArenaBowl game to be played outdoors, as the Civic Arena opened its roof for the game.
Game summary 
The Dynamite got off to an early start with a fumble recovery for a touchdown by OL/DL Phil Forte, along with a two-yard touchdown run by FB/LB Richard Prather (with a failed two-point conversion) in the first quarter.
In the second quarter, Denver's domination continued with Quarterback Whit Taylor completing a 26-yard touchdown pass to WR/DB Gary Mullen (with another failed two-point conversion) for the only score of the period. 
In the third quarter, the Dynamite continued their destruction with Taylor completing a 32-yard touchdown pass to WR/LB Richard Rodgers, along with WR/DB Steve Trimble returning an interception 47 yards for a touchdown.
In the fourth quarter, the Gladiators finally managed to score as Quarterback Mike Hohensee completed an 11-yard touchdown pass to WR/LB Russell Hairston (with a successful two-point conversion). Denver would wrap up the game with Taylor and Mullen hooking up with each other on a five-yard touchdown pass and even a 19-yard touchdown pass (failed PAT). Pittsburgh's final strike came from Quarterback Brendan Folmar to WR/DB Rodney Richmond.
Mullen was named the game's MVP for his performance.
Scoring summary 
- DEN - Forte 0 Fumble Recovery (Morales kick failed)
- DEN - Prather 2 run (Taylor pass failed)
- DEN - Mullen 26 pass from Taylor (Taylor pass failed)
- DEN - Rodgers 32 pass from Taylor (Morales kick)
- DEN - Trimble 47 Interception Return (Morales kick)
- PIT - Hairston 11 pass from Hohensee (Hohensee pass)
- DEN - Mullen 5 pass from Taylor (Morales kick)
- DEN - Mullen 19 pass from Taylor (Morales kick failed)
- PIT - Richmond 14 pass from Folmer (Folmer pass)
External links