Arena Football (2006 video game)
Arena Football is an Arena Football League video game developed by Electronic Arts (under their EA Sports brand) for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. It was released on February 7, 2006. The cover features quarterback John Dutton of the Colorado Crush, the champions of ArenaBowl XIX. The game is similar to EA's other simulation football games (NCAA Football and Madden NFL), but adopts a style of play that is similar to the faster and more frantic paced Arena game. The game includes all the rules, rosters, and teams for the 2006 AFL season. The game was succeeded by Arena Football: Road to Glory.
2006 AFL teams
All of the teams that competed in the 2006 season are included. The New Orleans VooDoo have been excluded because they have temporarily halted operations due to Hurricane Katrina. However, their logo is available for use in the game's create-a-team feature. The VooDoo resumed operations in 2007. The Kansas City Brigade franchise and its colors have been included, but the official name and logo didn't make it in because they were unveiled after the game had gone into production so the team was known as the Kansas City KC in the video game.
EA included a number of historic teams in Arena Football. Though not every Arena League team in history is represented, a good deal of them are. They are awarded to the player upon meeting certain statistical goals in a game. Here is a complete list:
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2014)|
History of AFL video games
Arena Football is not the first video game to feature the AFL. However, it can be considered the first simulation (as opposed to arcade-style) AFL game. Other AFL games are:
- Kurt Warner's Arena Football Unleashed (2000) - PlayStation - Midway Games - A completely arcade-style video game that was based on the NFL Blitz game engine.
- Arena Football '95 (1995) - Atari Jaguar - V-Real - Unreleased game that made it about half way through development before cancellation.
- Arena Football (1988) - Commodore 64 - Chris R. Bickford III - Independently coded text-based game for the C64 back during the early years of the AFL.
The game received positive reviews. IGN gave the game an 8.3, stating, "While the season mode is shallow, online play and solid multiplayer action will keep you bouncing off the walls for some time." GameSpot gave the game a lower score of 6.9, and like IGN, criticized Season Mode. While GameSpot praised the Telemetry system, they also commented that the game cannot "decide whether it wants to be arcade- or simulation-oriented."
- "Arena Football: Road to Glory". GameSpot.com. 2007-02-20. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "ArenaFan Originals - VooDoo quits...again!". ArenaFan.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- AFL Video Games Page
- "Kurt Warner's Arena Football Unleashed - PlayStation". IGN. 2000-04-14. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "ArenaFan Originals - Arena Football Unleashed not the first AFL Video Game". ArenaFan.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Lemon - Commodore 64, C64 Games, Reviews & Music!". Lemon64.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Arena Football". IGN. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "EA Sports Arena Football Review". GameSpot.com. 2006-02-07. Retrieved 2012-09-05.