|• Ethnicities||Arabs, Berbers|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||WEST (UTC+1)|
Erfoud is divided into several districts: Hay Salam, Hay Jdid, Hay Ziz, Hay el Bathaa, Hay Annahda, Hay el Hamri.
Erfoud is a destination for filmmakers due to the beauty of the surrounding Sahara Desert and the town's oasis areas. Erfoud has been a filming location for many films, including:
- March or Die
- In March or Die (1977), archeologists are uncovering an ancient city near Erfoud buried by a sand storm 3,000 years ago. The site is the resting place of a Berber saint, "The Angel of the Desert".
- The Mummy (1999)
- Filming began in Marrakech, Morocco on May 4, 1998 and lasted 17 weeks. Photography then moved to the Sahara Desert outside Erfoud.
- Production designer Allan Cameron found a dormant volcano near Erfoud where the entire set for Hamunaptra could be constructed.
- Prince of Persia (2010)
- Mike Newell selected Morocco as a shooting location for Prince of Persia and also planned to film in Pinewood Studios. Filming began in July 2008 in Morocco. Eight weeks were spent in Morocco before the first unit moved to Pinewood.
Mars analogue research
This area of Morocco has also been identified as being very similar in appearance and possibly geology to certain areas on the planet Mars. Because of this, there is an interest in this area as a field research location for Mars analogue research.
In Februari of 2013 the Austrian Space Forum is here the whole month with a field team including two space suit simulators (Aouda.X and Aouda.S) and a number of rovers to conduct a large number of experiments with support from a Mission Support Center run from Innsbruck, Austria to be able to simulate a mission to the surface of Mars.  The main desert base camp was named Camp Weyprecht on February 11th, with a later satellite camp about 80 km further south being called Station Payer.
- "Behind the Scenes". The Mummy Official Site: Universal Studios. 1999. Archived from the original on 2 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-24.
- Portman, Jamie (May 5, 1999). "Mummy Unearths Horror, Humour". Ottawa Citizen.
- "Jake Gyllenhaal as 'the Prince of Persia'". Entertainment Tonight (CBS Television Distribution). 2008-11-13. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-14.[dead link]
- "Morocco 2013 Mars Analogue Field Simulation". Retrieved 2012-12-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erfoud.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Erfoud.|