|Products||Banking and insurance|
|Revenue||€250 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|687 (end 2010)|
Argenta was established in 1956 by Frans Kuypers, Karel and Cyriel Schryvers and Karel Van Rompuy as a financing company specialising in personal loans. Since 1964 Argenta is authorised to act as a deposit office. In 1966 Argenta Spaarbank was set up, to offer ordinary savings account services.
In 1974 Argenta Assuranties were established to provide life and fire insurance. Later, hospitalisation and car insurances were added to the range. Argenta Nederland was founded 1989 and in 1990 Argentabank Luxembourg followed.
The Argenta Bank- en Verzekeringsgroep was set up in 2001. This is a holding company, incorporating Argenta Spaarbank, Argenta Assuranties and a number of sub-branches.
In 2009 Jan Cerfontaine was appointed Chairman to the Board of Directors of Argenta Bank- en Verzekeringsgroep, Argenta Spaarbank and Argenta Assuranties. In 2010 Argenta launched a public issue of shares for which only Argenta customers and branch managers could subscribe to, with the newly established cooperative company Argenta Coöperatieve. In addition to the family shareholders, Argen-Co also invested in Argenta Bank- en Verzekeringsgroep. The family shareholders (Van Rompuy family) remained Argenta’s majority shareholders.
The Argenta Group consists of the following units:
- Argenta Bank- en Verzekeringsgroep (procedures holding)
- Argenta Spaarbank (credit institution and savings bank). This unit has a branch in the Netherlands.
- Argenta Assuranties (insurance company)
- Argenta-Life Nederland (life insurance company)
- Argenta Nederland (management company)
- Argenta-Life Luxembourg (life insurance company)
- Argentabank Luxemburg (bank)
- Argenta-Fund (collective investment institution)
- Argenta Fund of Funds (collective investment institution)
- Investar (limited company)
- Argenta Coöperatieve (cooperative company)
- Van Rompuy Karel, Het Argenta Epos, Lannoo, Antwerp, 2007, p 11, 17.
- Van Rompuy Karel, Het Argenta Epos, Lannoo, Antwerp, 2007, p 25.
- Van Rompuy Karel, Het Argenta Epos, Lannoo, Antwerp, 2007, p 35-48.
- Van Rompuy Karel, Het Argenta Epos, Lannoo, Antwerpen, 2007, p 93-113.