9,879 (by ancestry, 2011 Census)
11,985 (by birth, 2011 Census).
|Regions with significant populations|
|New South Wales||5,737|
|Australian English · Rioplatense Spanish · Italian|
|Predominately Roman Catholic · Protestant · Jewish · Agnostic · Atheist|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Italians · Spaniards · Germans · Irish · Welsh · English • Slavic people · Ashkenazi Jews · South Americans|
An Argentine Australian is an Australian citizen of Argentine descent or birth. According to the 2011 Census there were 9,879 Australians who claimed full or partial Argentine ancestry and 11,985 Argentina-born citizens who were residing in Australia at the moment of the census.
History and cultural background
Immigration from Argentina to Australia dates back to 1891, when the colonial census conducted that year recorded 25 Argentines living in Australia, indicating an old constant presence in the country. The Argentine community remained small and there wasn't much immigration from the South American country until many years later. In 1947, there were 249 Argentina-born people residing in Australia and by 1971 the number had increased to 1,805.
Argentine immigration since the 1970s reflected Argentina's economic difficulties and political instability. Between January 1974 and mid-1985, 6,572 Argentines immigrated to Australia and most are assisted immigrants rather than political refugees. Over 80% of Argentine immigrants to Australia between 1974 and 1982 received Australian Government assistance to immigrate.
Most Argentine Australians live in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Argentina–Australia relations
- Demographics of Argentina
- Demographics of Australia
- Argentines of European descent
- Argentine American
- Argentine British
- Australian Government - Department of Immigration and Border Protection. "Argentine Australians". Retrieved 14 January 2014.[dead link]
- "20680-Ancestry (full classification list) by Sex - Australia" (Microsoft Excel download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2008-06-02. Total responses: 25,451,383 for total count of persons: 19,855,288.
- Lukas, Isabel (2001). "Argentinians". In Jupp, James. The Australian People: An Encyclopedia of the Nation, Its People and Their Origins. Cambridge University Press. pp. pages 170–172. ISBN 978-0-521-80789-0.
- "20680-Ancestry (full classification list) by Sex - Fairfield (C) (Local Government Area)" (Microsoft Excel download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2008-12-02. Total responses: 204,180.