Argo Community High School
|Argo Community High School|
|7239 W. 63rd Street
Summit, Illinois, 60501
|School district||Argo Community High School District 217|
|Superintendent||Dr. Kevin J. O'Mara|
|Principal||Dr. David Frusher|
|Average class size||21.2.|
|Athletics conference||South Suburban Conference|
|Average ACT scores||19.5|
Argo Community High School is a public 4-year high school located in Summit, Illinois, United States. The district draws students from the communities of Summit, Bedford Park, Bridgeview, Justice, Willow Springs, and a portion of Hickory Hills. The school is named for the "Argo area" which surrounds the large Argo corn processing plant located down the street from the school.
The school competes as a member of the South Suburban Conference. It also competes in state championship series sponsored by the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Argo sponsors interscholastic teams for men and women in basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track and field, and volleyball. There are men's teams in baseball, football, and wrestling. Women may compete in badminton and softball. Argo has had recent successes in many of its sports.
- Donald C. Day was a United States Navy ensign who was lost aboard the USS Thresher.
- Kyle Hill is a professional basketball player in Europe. He was the second round draft pick of the Dallas Mavericks in the 2001 NBA draft.
- Johnny Karras, football player
- Ted Kluszewski was a Major League Baseball first baseman (1947–61) who played most of his career with the Cincinnati Reds.
- Sheldon Mallory, Former MLB player (Oakland Athletics)
- Mamie Till, fourth black graduate and mother of Emmett Till, whose murder mobilized the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
- Dick Portillo (class of 1957) is a restaurateur and founder of the Portillo Restaurant Group, the most notable business of which is Portillo's.
- Mike York (class of 1982) was a Major League Baseball pitcher (1990–91).
- Saul White Jr. is a professional basketball player who currently travels the world entertaining fans with the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Carol McGowan is a professional DJ and current morning host on WCCQ-FM 98.3 in Chicago.
- Class of 2008 school report card
- List of South Suburban Conference Member Schools; accessed 28 March 2009
- Argo Athletics:List of sports teams; accessed 28 March 2009
- [OAK LAWN SAILOR ABOARD ILL-FATED SUB :Jefferson County Man Also Feared Lost; 12 April 1963; p. 3; Chicago Tribune]
- NBA Draft Profil for Kyle Hill; accessed 28 March 2009
- Erardi, John; Fans still cherish Big Klu; 16 July 1998; Cincinnati Enquirer; accessed 28 March 2009
- Clark, Mike (17 November 2009). "Argo". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- History of the Portillo Restaurant Group, accessed 28 March 2009
- .umi .com/pqdweb ?did=28869406 &sid=2 &Fmt=3 &clientId=32684 &RQT=309 &VName=PQD Hertzel, Bob; Argo grad defeats big-league problem; 15 September 1990; Chicago Tribune; accessed 28 March 2009