||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
Arguineguín (Guanche for "quiet water"), also Arguinegín is one of the most populated towns along the south coast of Gran Canaria, Spain. A typical Canarian fishing village, it is home to many locals rather than being a tourist resort. It is part of the municipality of Mogán and is located southwest of Las Palmas.
There are several bars and restaurants, the latter specialising in fresh fish caught the same day. Tuesday is market day (the largest on the island). Arguineguín features a beach and a port. Tourism is not as popular in Arguineguín as in the larger places as Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles. Holiday hotels, however, can be found in Arguineguín; Marino I, Dorado Beach, Club Puerto Atlantico, Sunwing Resort Arguineguín, Green Beach Hotel and Dunas La Canaria to mention the larger ones.
The Norwegians have especially taken the fishing village into their hearts, and the Norwegian population is quite large in the winter time. This might also be due to the Norwegian school, Norwegian church and a Norwegian health center being located in or just outside of Arguineguín. There is also a Norwegian doctor's office - located at the marketplace in Arguineguín - and a big Norwegian-owned timeshare holiday resort named Anfi del Mar, located just outside of Arguineguín.
The harbour here hosts a ferry service to Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria and Puerto de Mogán whilst another popular way to reach the town from Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria is by trekking over the mountain between the two towns.
The town also lies on several public bus routes offering convenient service to other towns on the island.
Arguineguín is also served by an expressway (GC1) with a nearby interchange and a highway.
- Juan Carlos Valerón, international footballer
- David Silva, international footballer
- Aythami Artiles, international footballer
- Ayuntamiento de Mogán (in English, Spanish and German)
- Arguineguín at Google Maps
- A local newspaper for Scandinavians (in Norwegian)
- Iglesia de Noruega (den norske sjømannskirken) (in Norwegian)
- Colegio de Noruega (den norske skolen) (in Norwegian)
- Anfi del Mar holiday resort
- Global public bus line serving Gran Canaria (in Spanish)