|Arhopala japonica is of unclear affiliations.
When Narathura was considered distinct, it was placed there.
|About 220 species|
Several, see text
Arhopala is a very large genus of gossamer-winged butterflies (Lycaenidae). They are the type genus of the tribe Arhopalini. In the relatively wide circumscription used here, it contains over 200 species collectively known as oakblues. They occur from Japan throughout temperate to tropical Asia south and east of the Himalayas to Australia and the Solomon Islands of Melanesia. Like in many of their relatives, their caterpillars are attended and protected by ants (myrmecophily); sexual dichromatism is often prominent in adult oakblues.
- Acesina Moore, 1884
- Aurea Evans, 1957
- Daranasa Moore, 1884 (lapsus)
- Darasana Moore, 1884
- "Iois" Doherty, 1899 (nomen nudum)
- Narathura Moore, 1879
- Nilasera Moore, 1881
- Panchala Moore, 1882
- Satadra Moore, 1884
The species have been provisionally sorted into groups of presumed closest relatives, but many species remain insufficiently studied even for such a preliminary assessment at present. For example, A. phryxus – the type species used by Jean Baptiste Boisduval when he described Arhopala in 1832 – was established at the same time as and specifically for this genus. It is presently considered a valid species of unclear affiliations, but it is suspected that Boisduval's taxon is a junior synonym of A. thamyras – the namesake of its species-group – which had been described as Papilio thamyras by Carl Linnaeus in 1764 already.
Molecular phylogenetic studies have only sampled a fraction of the known diversity of oakblues, but as it seems at least some of the groups represent clades that could justifiably be treated as subgenera. It is also to be seen, however, if the genus is monophyletic in the loose sense as used here, or would need to be split up again.
- Brower (2008)
- Brower (2008), and see Savela (2008) for additional references
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arhopala.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Arhopala|
- Brower, Andrew V. Z. (2008): Tree of Life Web Project – Arhopala. Version of 2008-APR-09. Retrieved 2009-MAR-21.
- Savela, Markku (2008): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Arhopala. Version of 2008-AUG-06. Retrieved 2009-MAR-21.
- Evans, W H, 1957 A revision of the Arhopala group of Oriental Lycaenidae (Lepidoptera: Rhopalocera) Bull. Brit. Mus. (Nat. Hist.), London Entomology Volume 5 : 85- 141 online