||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
June 16, 1979 |
New York, United States
|Genres||Rock, Acoustic, Pop|
|Instruments||Guitar, keyboards, harmonica|
|Labels||Columbia, Project 4 Records|
Early life and education
Hest's father is a college music professor and his mother a cantor. His older brother, Daniel, is Hest's former manager. Hest took piano lessons as a child and later taught himself to play guitar. Hest attended Cornell University in Ithaca, NY beginning in 1999 and later transferred to New York University, where he received a degree in Communications in 2002.
Hest released an EP, Incomplete and two albums, Come Home and Story After Story. In March 2004, Hest signed a recording contract with Columbia and recorded the album Someone To Tell and a five-song EP "Guilty Hearts EP" in the fall of 2005. His next album was called The Green Room Sessions and he worked with producer Mitchell Froom on the follow up album called "The Break-In". In 2009, he released Twelve Mondays, a collection of 12 fan-selected songs reworked and rerecorded. In 2011, Hest released his fifth album, Sunset Over Hope Street. He released his sixth album, The Fire Plays in 2012. Hest recorded music videos for his songs "They're On To Me" (2004), "So Slow", and "Dead End Driving".
Ari Hest has release seven albums, three EPs, and "52" in 2008, a project in which he recorded and released a new song every Monday for a full year. His twelve favorites are included in the album Twelve Mondays.
Full-Length, Extended Play and Single Albums
- Incomplete (EP, 1999), Project 4 Records
- Come Home (2001), Project 4 Records
- Story After Story (2002). Project 4 Records
- Someone To Tell (2004), Columbia Records
- Guilty Hearts (EP, 2005), Columbia Records
- The Green Room Sessions (EP, 2006), Columbia Records
- I've Got You (Download only single, 2007), Columbia Records/Red Ink
- The Break-In (2007), Columbia Records/Red Ink
- Live at the Quick Center (EP, 2008), Project 4 Records
- 52 (2008), Project 4 Records
- Twelve Mondays (2009), Project 4 Records
- Sunset Over Hope Street (2011), Downtown Records
- The Fire Plays (2012), Project 4 Records
- Shouts and Whispers (2014), Project 4 Records
Promotional, Soundtrack and Other Albums
- Consistency, Live From The Village Underground (2002), Project 4 Records, included with first 1,000 copies of “Story After Story”
- Winter Break: The Movie Soundtrack (2003), Various Artists, with “Strangers Again” from Ari Hest
- DecentXposure • Volume One (2003). Various Artists, with “Consistency” from Ari Hest
- "The Lincoln Lawyer" Soundtrack (2011) Various Artists, with "Now" from Ari Hest.
- The Open Sea (with Rosi Golan), "Little Apple" EP (2010)
- Official website
- Biography at Star Pulse.
- Live Music Archive
- Interview at Stereo Subversion
- Interview with Sound Bites Dog E-Zine