Aria the Scarlet Ammo
|Aria the Scarlet Ammo|
Cover of The Scarlet Ammo of Aria first volume of light novel as published by Media Factory
(Hidan no Aria)
|Genre||Action, Harem, Romantic comedy|
|Written by||Chūgaku Akamatsu|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Imprint||MF Bunko J|
|Original run||August 25, 2008 – ongoing|
|Written by||Yoshino Koyoka|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||September 26, 2009 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Takashi Watanabe|
|Written by||Hideki Shirane|
|Music by||Takumi Ozawa|
|Network||TBS, CBC, Mainichi Broadcasting System, Inc., Minaminihon Broadcasting Co., BS-TBS|
|English network||Funimation Channel|
|Original run||April 14, 2011 – June 30, 2011|
|Original video animation|
|Butei's Going on a Hot Spring Training Camp|
|Directed by||Takashi Watanabe|
|Written by||Hideki Shirane|
|Music by||Takumi Ozawa|
|Released||December 21, 2011|
Aria The Scarlet Ammo (緋弾のアリア Hidan no Aria?) is a Japanese light novel series written by Chūgaku Akamatsu and illustrated by Kobuichi. As of March 2012, 11 volumes have been published by Media Factory under their MF Bunko J label. A manga adaptation by Yoshino Koyoka started serialization in the seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive on September 26, 2009. An anime adaptation began airing on April 14, 2011 and concluded on June 30, 2011. An OVA was released on December 21, 2011. On 12 December 2013, was teased that a new Aria the Scarlet Ammo Project is in the works; and more informations will be revealed with the release of 16th volume of the novel.
Kinji Tōyama is a student at Tokyo Butei High, a universal educational facility. At this school, students undertake special training in order to learn the path of the Butei, which is a national qualification permitting its holders to arm themselves and capture criminals. The Butei were established to counter the worsening crime conditions, with training in various specialized fields. One day, Kinji decides to quit the Academy, until he is mysteriously attacked by the Butei Killer, a notorious criminal hunting down Butei with a passion. The elite Assault prodigy Aria H. Kanzaki comes to his rescue. From this point on, Kinji's future as a Butei changes drastically.
- Kinji Tōyama (遠山 キンジ Tōyama Kinji?)
- Voiced by: Junji Majima (Japanese), Todd Haberkorn (English)
- The main male protagonist of the series and a student at Butei High School. He was ranked Level E (lowest combat rank) due to missing the third term's final examination. However, when he is sexually aroused, he enters a state known as "Hysteria Mode" in which his cognitive and physical abilities increase to around thirty times his normal state, which allows him to perform feats of near-superhuman strength and skill, such as accurately shooting up the muzzle of an enemy gun, swinging his knife at supersonic speeds, and accurately shooting enemy bullets out of the air. Hysteria Mode is a genetic trait that all members of the Tōyama family possess, and is stated to be an extremely highly evolved version of the natural male instinct to protect women. As such, when in Hysteria Mode, Kinji's major weakness is the fact that he cannot directly harm women, though he is still able to fight and restrain them without directly hurting them. In addition to this, Hysteria Mode also causes Kinji to develop a suave and seductive attitude towards women, which makes him very attractive to them while in Hysteria Mode. He is currently enrolled in the Inquesta department, though in the past, he was a prodigy (being ranked Level S) of the Assault department, the most dangerous department in Butei High. He starts to respect and have romantic feelings for Aria. He proves his feelings for Aria by kissing her on the lips on episode 5, though this is done to calm her down. Currently, his feelings for Aria are so strong that even the slightest bit of sexual/romantic involvement with Aria will activate his Hysteria Mode.
- His gun of choice is a Beretta 92F (which was illegally modified to fire a three-round burst; he refers to it as the Beretta Kinji Model). He also wields a butterfly knife. In Volume 6 of the light novel he obtains a black Desert Eagle (which was similarly modified to fire in burst as well as auto) which belonged to his father and a double-edged seax, (modified with a hidden sheath and a reinforced rubber handle) which belonged to Sherlock Holmes, to add to his arsenal.
- Aria Holmes Kanzaki (神崎・H(ホームズ)・アリア Kanzaki Hōmuzu Aria?)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya (Japanese), Leah Clark (English)
- The titular character and the main female protagonist of the series is a transfer student of Butei High School. An "Assault" department elite rank S (The highest rank), she wishes to recruit Kinji after their encounter. She has earned the title of "Quadra", meaning someone who can dual-wield both guns and swords. Her weapons of choice are two Colt Government Model semi-automatic pistols, and two undersized Japanese swords known as Kodachi. The H in the middle name stands for "Holmes" as she is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes himself, and her full name is Aria Holmes Kanzaki IV. She is very short for her age. Her stunted growth is due to a special bullet made of HihiIrokane embedded in her back. Irokane is a special element that can turn a normal human into a superpower user. HihiIrokane is red Irokane and in order to use make use of its properties requires a childish nature and prideful personalit. Although Kinji learned about the special properties of the bullet and potential powers it gives from Holmes, Aria seems largely unaware of anything unusual about the bullet or herself, just that some stranger shot her for an unknown reason and the bullet can't be removed safely. As a side effect of the bullet lodged within her, her eye color and hair color, which were originally sapphire blue and flaxen blonde respectively, changed to a pinkish strawberry blonde and ruby colored eyes. Her mother is Japanese and her father is half English half Japanese. Her grandmother is a member of the British Royal Family, having received the title of a "dame". She also starts to have feelings for Kinji after they kissed in episode 5, and gets jealous when other girls approach Kinji.
- Shirayuki Hotogi (星伽 白雪 Hotogi Shirayuki?)
- Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi (Japanese), Brina Palencia (English)
- A female student of Butei High School, and childhood friend of Kinji. Enrolled in Butei's special department known as SSR, her Butei rank is A. She's the current student council chairman, and president of various clubs including the gardening club, handicraft club, and girl's volleyball club. According to Kinji, she is a perfect Japanese beauty except for one flaw - jealousy, which turns her into a berserker who assaults any girl approaching Kinji. When she finds out that Aria is living with Kinji she goes so far as to try to murder her. She is shown to love Kinji to the point that she will do anything for him. Kinji and Shirayuki kissed in episode 8, and since then, Shirayuki's feelings for Kinji has increased to the point that she is willing to appear nude in front of Kinji in order for him to notice her. She uses a Japanese sword named Irokane Ayame as a weapon of choice. It is revealed that her name, Shirayuki, was an alias to conceal her real name, Himiko.
- Riko Mine (峰 理子 Mine Riko?)
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- Female student of Butei High School, friend of Kinji. She's enrolled in the Inquesta department along with Kinji. Although often considered the biggest idiot in Kinji's class, this is a deliberate facade which breaks down when she is forced into dangerous circumstances. She has a talent for intelligence assessment and, at Butei High, gossip. She enjoys customizing her uniform in an Elegant Gothic Lolita style. She wields two Walther P99s and two knives and, like Aria, she earned the title of "Quadra".
- Near the end of the first volume, Riko reveals that she is a descendant of Arsène Lupin. Her real name is Riko Mine Lupin IV. Riko also reveals that she was the Butei Killer. She appears to have an inferiority complex towards the first Lupin and wants to exceed his legacy. The reason for this, and why she despises being referred to by her generation's number, is due to the circumstances under which she grew up. Orphaned at a young age, she was taken in by Vlad/Toru but kept locked in a cell, kept on short rations with very little food and muddy water, and eventually was used as an experimental subject by Vlad/Toru. During this time he repeatedly told her that she is worthless (since she didn't inherit of the past Lupins' abilities) and that her only only redeeming quality was that she could be used to produce another generation of the Lupin name, Lupin the V. Riko was released from her captivity by Vlad/Toru and promised complete freedom provided that is that surpass the original Lupin. Her plan was to recreate the historical encounter between the original Holmes and Lupin, with Aria and Kinji playing the roles of Sherlock and Watson. By defeating both of them she would surpass her ancestor since the original encounter ended in a draw.
- After helping Kinji and Aria defeat Vlad, she helps Aria by providing evidence that Vlad/Toru, and not her mother, Kanae Kanzaki, was truly behind all of the Butei murders Killer, and so reducing Kanae's sentence and delaying her impending execution.
- Riko appears to have feelings for Kinji, but these feelings may not be completely healthy because she constantly attempts to seduce Kinji, attempts which fail since Kinji is able to see through her machinations. She finally kisses Kinji in episode 11 after he points out that by defeating Vlad/Toru, she has surpassed her ancestor and can finally take pride in herself, perhaps sparking a more healthy interest in him.
- Riko and Aria have several characteristics in common: they are short, both have earned Quadra status, both wear their hair in twin-tails, both are the third generation scions of famous ancestors, and lastly, both are romantically interested in Kinji.
- Reki (レキ?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Ishihara (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
- The Snipe department's ace, Butei rank S. No family name. She's habitually taciturn, impassive and indifferent to fashion. Kinji later finds out that this, along with her hair color, is to due to the influence of large quantities of RiriIrokane in her birthplace. RiriIrokane is Azure Irokane and it is able to nullify other powers when the subject is in a state of calm. However, according to a Hotogi Historical Record it 'hates' human hearts and the princesses of the Ulus (to whom Reki belongs) revere RiriIrokane and offer their 'hearts' to it. She's always seen wearing headphones Sennheiser PMX990 through which she apparently listens to the sound of wind from her homeland (somewhere between Northern Mongolia and Siberia). Her signature quote is "I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target", which she always say before she takes a shot. Her sniper skills are so high that she can shoot anything within a 2 km radius without missing her target. Her personal weapon is a Dragunov sniper rifle with an attachable bayonet.
- In the middle of volume 3, Reki tames a wolf in a matter of 5 minutes, which she later names Haimaki, and trains it to be a Butei dog. From then on, she lives together with Haimaki in her own room in a girl's dormitory. Kinji has visited her room at least twice up to volume 6 of light novel and has noted how bare and simple it is. Reki also sleeps upright with the Dragunov on her hands, perhaps to prevent an ambush attack according to Kinji. On noting that Reki didn't possess any clothing other than a number of school uniforms, Kinji bought her a casual outfit as a present and as a part of his Lima syndrome plan. Reki cleans up nicely; in fact, Kinji was left speechless after witnessing her dressed-up appearance in volume 6.
- She plays a minor role in the series, usually providing covering fire for Aria and Kinji when they are fighting at close range or saving them during times of trouble. At the end of volume 5, she held Kinji at gunpoint on the rooftop of Butei High, kissed him and proposed marriage to him. She also reveals that she already knows about the I.U. and Hysteria Mode. Her ancestors are revealed to be Minamoto no Yoshitsune and Genghis Khan. The Ulus tribe she belongs to only gives birth to girls (possibly due to a genetic flaw from being so insular.) Since there are only 47 members of the tribe (counting Reki) there seems to have been no need to provide a second name. It is hinted that selecting Kinji as her 'husband' was not only to provide herself with strong children, but possibly the other 46 princesses of Ulus as well. As part of her tribe's courtship ritual, a kind of reverse (Bride Kidnapping where the 'bride' kidnaps the 'groom', she pursued Kinji and shot the buttons off of his jacket (without hurting him) at intervals until he 'surrendered' himself to her. As an attempt to 'break up' with her, he tried to get her to undergo Lima syndrome (where a kidnapper falls for victim,) but wasn't completely successful in preventing himself from falling into Stockholm syndrome (where the victim sympathizes with the kidnapper.) After Kinji sabotaged her last bullet knowing she'd likely try to shoot herself with it she started living for herself and her friends (mainly Kinji) in contrast to her earlier habit of living solely for duty and obsessively obeying the 'voice of the wind.'
- Apparently, before coming to Butei High, Reki performed "unrecorded" jobs in Russia and China due to her Butei license. In other words, she worked as a "Sweeper".
- L.L. Watson
- Kaname Tohyama
- Moe Motiduki
Tokyo Butei High
- Jeanne d'Arc (ジャンヌ・ダルク Jannu Daruku?)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese), Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
- Jeanne d'Arc XXX (also known as Durandal or Diamond Dust Witch) is an ice ability user from I.U. (a criminal organization). During the events in Volume 2 of the light novel, she targets Shirayuki in an attempt to kidnap her and force her to join I.U. She is successfully captured via the combined efforts of Aria, Kinji and Shirayuki during the season of Adseard. As one of the conditions of her plea bargain, she was forced to stay in Butei High as a 2nd year international student from Paris enrolled in the Informa department. As a reliable Informa student, Kinji requests her aid whenever he needs knowledge about a particular case he is involved in. Jeanne and Riko get along with each other very well.
- She is one of the few people who knows of Kinji's secret. Her personality is serious and cool. er first comment about Butei High's uniform skirt is: "Unmarried girls shouldn't openly reveal their legs like this!". However, that notion is pretty much shattered because of Riko's strong influence on her, and she has developed a habit of secretly collecting maid dresses, lolita fashion and other cute dresses. Due to astigmatism she usually wears contacts to see clearly, but carries a pair of glasses as backup or for reading.
- Although Jeanne is quite extraordinary in terms of her beauty, fighting skills, as well as her planning and investigating abilities, her drawing skills are unimpressive: an elementary school student can draw much better than she can. Despite her strength, she alleges that she is the weakest out of all the members of I.U. Her preferred weapon is the Durandal. However, after Shirayuki broke part of it off she had to adjust to the shorter blade. Melting down the whole blade and reforging it as a single piece again was inadvisable as that would severely weaken the integrity of the metal, making it much easier to break. Or in simpler terms, the weakness of the break would be spread to the entire sword.
- Hina Fuuma (風魔 陽菜 Fūma Hina?)
- Kinji's underclassman. A Lezzad freshman, enrolled in class 1-C, she has her black hair usually pony-tailed in the back. She also wears a long muffler around the neck, a Fundoshi for underwear, and appears in traditional ninja garb. She is rumored to be a descendant of a famous ninja lineage (presumably decedents of Fūma Kotarō).
- When they were in middle school together, she and Kinji sparred. At that time, Kinji happened to be in Hysteria Mode and he subdued Fuuma like a child. Ever since then, she greatly respects Kinji and calls him "Master". She works part-time in order to pay for her tuition as well as to make ends meet, which she refers to as "training". She is Kinji's Amica, which is when a Junior (Kinji) or Senior acts like a big brother/sister for a freshman (Fuuma) and essentially shows them the ropes about various things whether it's skills, state of mind for situations, training methods, nuggets of experience, etc.
- Goki Muto (武藤 剛気 Mutō Gōki?)
- Voiced by: Takayuki Kondō (Japanese), Ricco Fajardo (English)
- The Logi's ace with a 190 cm height and pointy hair. Kinji considers him as a transportation geek. This is due to his extensive knowledge of all kinds of vehicles whether it be on land, sea or air. He is a skilled driver who can operate anything from a car to a nuclear submarine. His personal weapon is a Colt Python Revolver that uses .357 magnum bullets which he chose solely for ease of maintenance, as despite the astounding firepower, the gun's loading capacity is small, the accuracy is horrible and it cannot equip a suppressor, so normally, no Butei would use it.
- Goki has feelings for Shirayuki; this is evidenced in that he feels guilty when he tries to peek at the other girls in the hot springs by climbing over the wall, claiming that 'It's a man's world!' during the OVA. Despite that, he is also a shameless pervert.
- Ryo Shiranui (不知火 亮 Shiranui Ryō?)
- Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi (Japanese), Chris Cason (English)
- A bright, handsome and popular guy. Enrolled in Assault, and in the same class as Kinji, his Butei level is A. Even though there are different aspects involved in an A ranking, his integration capacity is high; his barehanded, dagger handling or shooting aspects can all be relied upon. The reliability of his gun is very high, a Mk. 23 MODO with an installed laser aiming lens. He is also a rare polite person in Butei High. Even though he is very popular with girls, he never had a girlfriend before.
- He is Kinji and Muto's close friend. In past, during Kinji's days in Assault, they were often teammates. Kinji considers him a good friend and someone to rely on; an example of a polite and elegant student.
- Aya Hiraga (平賀 文 Hiraga Aya?)
- A genius of the Amdo department, she is enlisted by other students to upgrade or modify their weapons although, according to Kinji, her labor fees are considerably expensive. Kinji's Beretta pistol is one such example. Despite being a genius in customizing weapons, sometimes, due to sloppy work, the guns she has worked on malfunction, as seen when Kinji's Beretta, modified to fire three-round bursts, stops working and instead fires 2 bullets almost at the same time. Her ancestor is Hiraga Gennai.
- Kinji has statd that considering her skills, she should be ranked S. However, due to the massive fees she charges for her services, coupled with the large number of illegal modifications she performs, she is A-ranked. Her appearance is that of a child, her hair's length is below the ear, and she is widely known in Butei High for watching anime as she tinkers through Butei guns and weapons.
- Misaki Nakasorachi (中空知 美咲 Nakasorachi Misaki?)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto (Japanese), Jamie Marchi (English)
- A second year student from Connect, she specializes in providing real-time intelligence to Buteis that are operating in the field. Her instructions are always crystal clear, and Kinji claims that she has a voice worthy of a NHK news broadcaster. She also possess an incredible sense of hearing and is able to deduce the location of the sound of wind which Reki always listens to through hearing alone. However, she is shown to be extremely timid when she is off-duty and has trouble interacting with people without the use of some kind of communication device, which is probably why she is ranked B despite her talents.
- She became friends with Jeanne when she was forced to transfer to Butei High and shared a dormitory apartment with her.
- Yutori Takamagahara (高天原 ゆとり Takamagahara Yutori?)
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- Homeroom teacher for Class 2-A and the head of department for Inquesta. Described as a "kind teacher in Butei High", she is also one of the few non-violent teachers depicted in the series.
- Umeko Tsuzuri (綴 梅子 Tsuzuri Umeko?)
- Voiced by: Masumi Asano (Japanese), Erica Harte (English)
- Homeroom teacher for Class 2-B and head of department for Dagula. An expert in interrogation techniques, she is capable of extracting confessions from the toughest offenders. She is apparently one of the top five interrogators in Japan. Has a habit of smoking hand-rolled cigarettes, even in the vicinity of students.
- Wields a Glock 18.
- Rambyou (蘭豹 Rambyō?)
- An Assault department instructor, she is known to be a very violent teacher, earning her the nickname of "Human Bunker Buster". Her catchphrases are "Go die!" or "Death!". Rumored to be connected with the Hong Kong triads. She was the teacher that took the group photograph for Team Baskerville during their formation ceremony in volume 7 of the light novels.
- Tōru Sayonaki (小夜鳴 徹 Sayonaki Tōru?)
- Voiced by: Kenji Nojima (Japanese), J. Michael Tatum (English)
- A geneticist who works as a part-time instructor for the Ambulance department, he is a university graduate from abroad and is noted to be very handsome with an appearance of a 20-year old. He is very polite, using honorific speech at all times, which contributed to his immense popularity in Butei High. It turns out he was the one who had captured and imprisoned Riko after her parents died. He was seeking Lupin's superior genetic material to add to his collection (possibly himself as well,) but, as it seemed she was severely lacking in talent and ability, he treated her as a worthless failure. This entailed abuse, long stretches of being locked in a cell covered in dirt with nothing to do but sit, and constant comments on how she was a failure while she was still dealing with her parents' deaths.
- In truth, this identity is an outer shell that Vlad created from the genetic material (DNA) that Vlad had absorbed through centuries of drinking blood. This is similar to an insect's memesis where not only does an 'invader' look like the species its invading, but also 'acts' like a member of the species. Toru can summon Vlad, who takes the form of a large wolf-like creature, but only when Sayonaki feels an extreme emotion. Vlad is otherwise dormant while the split personality, Sayonaki, retains control and handles the day-to-day matters. Due to his centuries of experiences Sayonaki is no longer able to get emotionally stimulated enough to summon Vlad by normal means. However, by somehow imprinting himself with a version of Kinichi Tohyama's Hysteria Savant Syndrome he's able to use it to awaken Vlad. The difference is that Sayonaki's version isn't triggered by arousal, like Kinji's, but by the sadistic pleasure he derives from abusing 'lesser species.' Being a proud and ancient vampire this means anything weaker than a vampire is considered a lesser species with humanity holding the position of 'weak prey.' Thus, he and Vlad are able to abuse cute girls, like Riko, without Hysteria mode hindering them because their protective instinct (assuming they have any) would only apply to cute, female vampires, not humans. Vlad tells Kinji that this is similar to how he (Kinji) wouldn't be able to enter Hysteria mode if he saw a female Chimpanzee being abused. Vlad has also somehow modified his howl to interrupt Kinji's Hysteria mode.
- Vlad has the ability to quickly heal his own wounds and proved to be a difficult opponent for Riko, Aria and Kinji. However, Vlad was finally captured by the trio when all 4 of his weak points (marked by eye-shaped symbols from a Vatican Paladin's spell) were shot at the same time causing crippling damage. However, the fact that both Vlad and Sayonaki share the same body was kept secret. This may be due to conditions of the plea bargain that Kinji and Aria had to agree to lest they go to jail for larceny (although considering they were 'recovering' stolen property for the rightful owner [Riko], this is more likely the government's overreaction over any information dealing with IU.)
- Kikuyo Katagaka
Digital Manga published the English translation of the first volume at 08/28/2013
|1||Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Hidan no Aria (緋弾のアリア)
|August 25, 2008||ISBN 978-4-8401-2401-0|
|A girl from the sky had saved Kinji, who is apparently targeted by the Butei Killer, from bike bombing. A while later, she appeared in their class as a transfer student, and introduced herself as Aria Holmes Kanzaki. This girl had chased Kinji up to his house asking him to become her slave. What is Aria's intention behind her persistent action? And will they catch the Butei Killer, the one behind the serial bombing incidents?|
|2||Aria the Scarlet Ammo II ~Blazing Diamond Dust~
Hidan no Aria II Moeru Ginhyō (緋弾のアリアII 燃える銀氷（ダイヤモンドダスト）)
|December 25, 2008||ISBN 978-4-8401-2600-7|
|Adseard (Butei olympics) is nearing, and Butei High is currently in flurry. A rumor about a kidnapper named Durandal got the Masters worried that they might abduct Shirayuki, who is the Butei High's ace. Hearing this, Aria volunteered to become Shirayuki's bodyguard while Kinji was dragged in the process. It could be just a false rumor. Does Durandal exist or not?|
|3||Aria the Scarlet Ammo III ~Honey Trap~
Hidan no Aria III Hachimitsu-iro no Wana (緋弾のアリアIII 蜂蜜色の罠（ハニー・トラップ）)
|March 25, 2009||ISBN 978-4-8401-2720-2|
|Riko reappeared in front of Kinji and Aria asking them for help in taking back the precious treasure that was stolen from her. Riko's treasure was stored in a mansion somewhere in Yokohama and Aria and Kinji's mission is to infiltrate it. As they work through the mission, they will learn about Riko's fear of her past and her struggle with it.|
|4||Aria the Scarlet Ammo IV ~Fall of the Scarlet Ammo~
Hidan no Aria IV Ochita Hidan (緋弾のアリアIV 堕ちた緋弾（スカーレット）)
|August 25, 2009||ISBN 978-4-8401-2873-5|
|Kinji's brother, who was supposed to be dead half a year ago, appeared in front of him asking him for assistance in assassinating Aria. Kinji was stuck between relative and partner for a while until he finally gathered his resolution to go up against him. At the moment of Kinji's defeat, he woke up suddenly and realized that he fell asleep in front of his PC. He concluded that it was all a nightmare. But this strange dream had left a bad feeling to Kinji, and soon finds himself worrying about Aria's safety.|
|5||Aria the Scarlet Ammo V ~Overture's Fine~
Hidan no Aria V Jokyoku no Shūshisen (緋弾のアリアV 序曲の終止線（プレリュード・フィーネ）)
|December 25, 2009||ISBN 978-4-8401-3126-1|
|Aria has been abducted by the leader of I-U and Kinji goes after the leader to take Aria back. The secret behind the Scarlet Ammo will be revealed and finally settling the matters regarding I-U once and for all.|
|6||Aria the Scarlet Ammo VI ~Killing Range 2051~
Hidan no Aria VI Zettai Hankei 2051 (緋弾のアリアVI 絶対半径（キリングレンジ）2051)
|April 23, 2010||ISBN 978-4-8401-3281-7|
|Last day of August in the rooftop, Reki appeared in front of Kinji pointing her Dragunov asking him to marry her. She also told Kinji to stay away from Aria. Under the prison of her rifle, Kinji was forced to spend weeks cohabiting with Reki. The field trip will be in a few weeks and Kinji must use this time to persuade Reki to free him. But it seems there is more behind Reki's marriage than what Kinji thinks.|
|7||Aria the Scarlet Ammo VII ~Waltz of Wind and Fire -Castling Turn-~
Hidan no Aria VII Hi to Kaze no Embu (緋弾のアリアVII 火と風の円舞（キャスリング・ターン）)
|August 25, 2010||ISBN 978-4-8401-3486-6|
|Field trip has finished. Along the way back to Tokyo, someone had planted a bomb within the bullet train where Kinji and the gang are boarded. Not only the bomb will explode if the train's speed is decreased, but they must increase the speed by 10kph every 3 minutes or it will explode. Even worse, Riko had deduced that the culprit is also inside the train! This mission calls for Kinji, Aria, Riko, Shirayuki and the other Buteis present in the train to disarm the bomb and save the passengers. And they've only got 80 minutes until the bullet train reaches Tokyo. Did a new Butei Killer appear?|
|8||Aria the Scarlet Ammo VIII ~Tornado High~
Hidan no Aria VIII Rasen no Tenkūki (緋弾のアリアVIII 螺旋の天空樹（トルネード・ハイ）)
|December 24, 2010||ISBN 978-4-8401-3678-5|
|9||Aria the Scarlet Ammo IX ~Spark Out~
Hidan no Aria IX Aoki Senkō (緋弾のアリアIX 蒼き閃光（スパーク・アウト）)
|March 25, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8401-3859-8|
|10||Aria the Scarlet Ammo X ~Arcanum Duo~
Hidan no Aria X Kinki no Sōkyoku (緋弾のアリアX 禁忌の双極（アルカナム・デュオ）)
|July 25, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8401-3969-4|
|11||Aria the Scarlet Ammo XI ~Collateral Bros~
Hidan no Aria XI G no Ketsuzoku (緋弾のアリアXI Gの血族（コラテラル・ブロス）)
|December 22, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8401-4331-8|
|12||Aria the Scarlet Ammo XII ~Fall Oblige~
Hidan no Aria XII Ookami Inu ni furu Yuki (緋弾のアリアXII 狼狗に降る雪（フォル・オブリージュ）)
|May 25, 2012||ISBN 978-4-8401-4579-4|
|13||Aria the Scarlet Ammo XIII ~Gawron Reverse~
Hidan no Aria XIII Hangeki no KyuRyu (緋弾のアリアXIII 反撃の九龍（ガウロン・リバース）)
|August 24, 2012||ISBN 978-4-8401-4682-1|
|No.||Title||Original release||English release|
|1||Aria the Scarlet Ammo 1 (緋弾のアリア 1)||April 23, 2010||ISBN 978-4-8401-3316-6|
|2||Aria the Scarlet Ammo 2 (緋弾のアリア 2)||August 23, 2010||ISBN 978-4-8401-3362-3|
|3||Aria the Scarlet Ammo 3 (緋弾のアリア 3)||March 23, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8401-3770-6|
|4||Aria the Scarlet Ammo 4 (緋弾のアリア 4)||July 23, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8401-4014-0|
|5||Aria the Scarlet Ammo 5 (緋弾のアリア 5)||December 22, 2011||ISBN 978-4-8401-4080-5|
|6||Aria the Scarlet Ammo 6 (緋弾のアリア 6)||May 23, 2012||ISBN 978-4-8401-4468-1|
- Opening Theme: Scarlet Ballet by May'n
- Ending Theme: Camellia no Hitomi (カメリアの瞳 Kameria no Hitomi?) by Aiko Nakano
|April 14, 2011|
|Kinji Tōyama is a student at Tokyo Butei High school, where special detectives known as Butei are trained to become mercenaries. While riding his bike to school after missing the bus, Kinji is chased by a remote-controlled Segway armed with an Uzi, telling him that a bomb has been attached to his bike which will explode if he slows down, also threatening to shoot him if he jumps off. Kinji is saved a mysterious pony-tailed girl named Aria Holmes Kanzaki. The two end up pinned down in a gym storage locker as more Segways appear, Aria fends them off sticking her chest right in Kinji's face while doing so. The sexual arousal causes Kinji to enter his Hysteria Mode, where he manages to perfectly destroy the Segways as well as countering Aria's moves when she complains about him being a pervert. When Kinji finally arrives at school, he learns that Aria has become a transfer student in his class. Later that day, Aria arrives at Kinji's house and declares him her slave.|
|2||"Aria the Quadra"
"Kadora no Aria" (双剣双銃のアリア)
|April 21, 2011|
|Aria demands that Kinji join her Butei party, intruding into his apartment when he refuses. This puts Kinji in an awkward situation when his childhood friend, Shirayuki Hotogi, arrives while Aria is taking a bath. The next day, Aria follows Kinji around as he takes on a job searching for a missing cat. After managing to lose Aria, Kinji trades some eroge with his friend, Riko Mine, to obtain information on Aria. Meanwhile, Aria calls Kinji's bluff on his Butei abilities and coerces him to agree to join her on a single Assault case, so she can witness his Hysteria Mode.|
"Fāsuto Misshon" (ファースト・ミッション)
|April 28, 2011|
|Aria follows Kinji to the arcade where he manages to win some plush dolls for her. The next day, Kinji and Aria learn that a school bus has been hijacked by the fabled Butei Killer and fitted with a bomb that will explode if it slows down and an armed convertible preventing the passengers from interfering. After the bus driver gets injured when an attempt to stop the convertible is foiled by heat-detection, Kinji and Aria arrive on the scene, taking out the convertible. With the bus slowly running out of gas, Aria finds the bomb on the underside of the bus while Kinji finds and destroys the communications sensor. The bomb is disarmed by the sniper ace, Reki, but Aria is injured by another armed vehicle while trying to protect Kinji. As she is treated in the hospital, she feels disappointed that Kinji did not meet her expectations.|
"Butei Goroshi" (武偵殺し)
|May 5, 2011|
|Kinji follows Aria who goes to the police station to talk with her mother, who is currently incarcerated as a suspect of the Butei killings. She mentions that Aria needs to find a partner to use her ability. The next day, Kinji hears word from Ryou Shiranui that Aria will be flying back to London. Later, Kinji goes to meet Riko, who reveals information concerning the Butei Killer, which she also mentions his brother who died during a boat hijacking, before pulling some moves which sends Kinji into his Hysteria Mode. With his heightened senses, Kinji deduces that Aria's plane is being targeted by the Butei Killer, managing to get on it before it takes off. During the flight, Kinji learns that Aria has a fear of lightning shortly before the Butei Killer announces his hijacking. They soon discover the culprit is Riko, who reveals herself to be the great-granddaughter of Arsene Lupin, who organized the bike and bus hijackings to target Aria so she can surpass her great-grandfather. She also reveals herself to be the one who killed Kinji's brother, who was also her lover. Riko and Aria enter an intense duel, but Riko gains the upper hand by using the fact that she is a Quadra as well by manipulating her hair to use a knife to attack Aria at the same time as using her guns to shoot her in a critical area.|
|5||"Butei Charter, Article 1"
"Butei Kenshō Ichijō" (武偵憲章１条)
|May 12, 2011|
|Kinji works quickly and uses a first-aid kit to save Aria's life. When Aria yells at him as a result, Kinji kisses her to simultaneously calm her down and activate his Hysteria mode, confronting Riko as she approaches. Just then the plane starts descending, so Aria rushes to the controls while Kinji confronts Riko, who escapes by blowing out the plane's door and parachuting down as the plane is hit by missiles, blowing out two of its engines and causing a fuel leak. Despite interference by the government, Kinji manages to ease the plane into an emergency landing, thanks to Goki Muto. Afterwards, just as Aria is prepared to leave, Kinji agrees to be her partner, though this does not settle well with Shirayuki.|
|6||"Stairway to Heaven"
"Tengoku he No Kaidan" (天国への階段)
|May 19, 2011|
|Aria just so happens to be the great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes, much to Kinji's shock. Shirayuki is revealed to be a Chōtei, a special type of Butei with esper abilities, as she conflicts with Aria, not helped by dubious misunderstandings. The next day, Aria decides to start a new training regime to try to get Kinji to control his Hysteria Mode. Later, Aria drags Kinji along to eavesdrop on Shirayuki as she is taken to the teacher's office, hearing about a Chōtei kidnapper named Durandal who may be targeting her. Believing Durandal to be one of the culprits who framed her mother, Aria offers to be Shirayuki's bodyguard, which she agrees to on the condition that Kinji does so as well, moving into his house in the process. At the house, Shirayuki believed she heard Kinji call for help from her cellphone and rushed into his bath. Having discovered that it was a fake call, Shirayuki begins to strip as punishment for seeing Kinji in his underwear. Aria walks in to witness the misunderstanding situation and chased Kinji out the window and into the river.|
"Kago no Tori" (かごのとり)
|May 26, 2011|
|Recovering from a cold, Kinji continues to be trained by Aria in case of encountering Durandal. Soon, the two had a fight as Kinji believes that Aria lied about Durandal’s existence. Shirayuki explains to Kinji how Hotogi are restricted to venture out of the shrine but she wanted to see the firework festival. Later Kinji suggests that the two should go to the fireworks festival to which Shirayuki agrees, knowing that she is breaking the rules of the shrine. Further in the night, Shirayuki received a text message that she kept to herself. The following day at school, Shirayuki suddenly disappeared. With the help of Reki, Kinji was able to locate Shirayuki in the basement of a warehouse. While hiding, Kinji discovers Shirayuki negotiating with the hidden Durandal in order to protect the school. It is revealed that the text message and fake call for help was from Durandal last night. Kinji jumps in to rescue Skirayuki but is quickly pinned down by Durandal.|
|June 2, 2011|
|Aria arrives to assist Kinji in saving Shirayuki, but they find her chained onto a pipe as the floor begins to flood. Because Aria cannot swim, Kinji advised Aria to pursued Durandal while he tried to unlock Shirayuki. As the two begin to drown from the flooding water, Kinji kisses Shirayuki to enter Hysteria Mode and successfully unlocked her. The two were forced into the upper floor by the flood and had separated again. Kinji and Aria meet up and find Shirayuki, thoguh soon discovering her to be Durandal in disguise. After freezing Aria’s hands, Durandal reveals herself to be Jeanne d'Arc and wants Aria to join her organization, but becomes distracted by the arrival of the real Shirayuki. Jeanne momentarily escapes as Shirayuki heals Aria’s hands. In the distance, Jeanne begins to freeze the room and show her true appearance. Having no choice but to fight, Shirayuki announces her real name to be Himiko. As they fight, Kinji was able to hold back Jeanne’s sword as Shirayuki destroys it with hers and successfully arrests her. Later, Shirayuki tells Aria that she kissed Kinji and yet another conflict emerges, whereby Kinji escapes by jumping into the river.|
"Hanii Torappu" (蜂蜜色の罠(ハニートラップ))
|June 9, 2011|
|Aria calls Kinji to her room where she tries to subdue him, but he realizes it is Riko from the change in attitude. Riko then attempts moves which will make him enter Hysteria Mode, but Aria interrupts by smashing through the window. After throwing insults at each others, Aria and Riko begin to fight which leads them to the roof. Kinji stops the fight and Aria demands Riko to testify for her mother at trial, which, oddly enough, Riko accepts. It is explained that Vlad the Bad expelled Riko from the secret organization for not defeating Aria and stole something from her as punishment. Kinji and Aria are forced to join Riko's robbery to help retrieve her item in exchange for her testimony. Riko returns to school the next day and teases Kinji the entire time. Later, Shirayuki attacks Riko out of jealous, but Riko quickly avoids the attack and leaves Shirayuki with Kinji. Faking an injury, Shirayuki leads Kinji to the empty nurse’s office. She explains that she has to stay at the shrine for a month for breaking the rule of venturing off during the fireworks festival. She then unsuccessfully tries to subdue him in which he escapes through the window. The following day, Kinji and Aria meet up with Riko.|
|June 16, 2011|
|At their meeting, Riko explains the plans. It is revealed that Vlad took Riko’s rosary that was given by her deceased mother. They plan to infiltrate Vlad’s mansion by disguising as butler and maids. The next day, Riko asks Kinji to meet her at the infirmary. On his way, he was surprised by Jeanne who was now enrolled at the school after striking a deal with the judge. Jeanne tells how Vlad, claiming to be Riko’s relative, took her in when Riko’s parents dead years ago. Jeanne continues to explain how Vlad is not human and poses a greater threat to her clan. With a poor drawing, she detailed three of four marks on Vlad’s body that must be destroyed in order to defeat him. Kinji arrives at the infirmary to discover that Aria, Riko, and other girls were coming for a physical examination. In a panic, he hides inside a closet. He was pulled out by Reki as a white wolf charged through the window. After the wolf escaped, Kinji and Reki took pursuit after it. Chasing it to a construction building, Reki was able to temporarily paralyze the wolf by grazing it with a bullet from her sniper rifle. She quickly tames and takes in the wolf as her pet.|
|June 30, 2011|
|Aria continues her training as a maid with Riko. Later, Kinji and Aria meet up with Riko who disguised herself to be from an employment agency and leads the two to the mansion. To their surprise, they found their teacher, Tōru Sayonaki, to be managing the mansion and claiming to be just using it to help research. Following the next two weeks of working at the mansion, the two learned the location of Riko’s rosary and the security system that guards it. After discussing with Riko, they begin to execute their plans on the final day of work. Aria was able to distract Sayonaki long enough as Kinji steals the rosary and replace it with a fake one, completing their mission. Later, on the rooftop of a building, Kinji gives Riko her rosary. Just then, Riko turns against them, announcing to use the power of her rosary to defeat the two.|
|June 30, 2011|
|In order to surpass her ancestors, Riko declared that she has to defeat Kinji and Aria. However, Riko is then tased from behind and tormented on the ground by Sayonaki. He revealed to them that he has been performing genetic research on humans and was the one who kept Riko in captivity. All of a sudden, Sayonaki transforms into a beast after stating that Vlad is summoned by the sound of despair. Kinji and Aria begin to fire bullets, only to be shown as ineffective. They discover that he is an ogre vampire, who has harvested genes to eliminate his natural weaknesses. Kinji saves Riko from Vlad’s grip as Aria tries to break the marks on Vlad’s body. Although, Riko believes the fourth mark is located on his chest, this proves to be false after Kinji and Aria failed on their first attempt. Vlad neutralizes the Hysteria Mode and knocks Kinji over the edge of the roof, but Riko manages to save him with her parachute and returns to the roof to save Aria. Riko uses Aria to help Kinji reactivate the Hysteria Mode in order for him to devise a plan of attack. Kinji then figures out that the fourth mark is on his tongue, and the three of them successfully kill Vlad with their remaining bullets. Riko comes to an understanding that she has surpassed her ancestor by defeating Vlad. Afterwards, Riko testifies in order to help lower the sentence from Aria's mother.|
|13||"Butei's Going on a Hot Spring Training Camp"
"Butei ga Kitarite Onsen Kensyū" (武偵が着たりて温泉研修)
|Umeko Tsuzuri takes Kinji, Aria, Shirayuki, Riko, Reki, Jeanne, and Muto to a secluded mountain onsen run by a former Butei landlady for special training. During their long hike to the lodge, Aria, Shirayuki, and Riko fight over spending time with Kinji. While in the hot springs, the girls compare their chest sizes, much to Aria's dismay. Aria and Jeanne later have a ping-pong match using their special abilities. Later, Muto is frightened upon seeing Jeanne temporarily turned into a chrysanthemum statue. She admits to losing memory between leaving the game room and ending up outside. Muto disappears at night, and the others later find him dead. Shirayuki then notices Tsuzuri and the landlady hanged to death. The group spots a mysterious young boy and chases after him inside a haunted room. All of a sudden, the students find themselves back inside the minivan just before they entered the inn. While the group remembers what happened up to their individual 'deaths', the landlady and everyone else not in the group do not recall anything and think the group are acting really strange for some reason after just arriving for the first time. Yet the knowledge the group learned, such as the landlady's past, seems to have been true. Who, what, why, or even how the boy did the things he did remains a mystery.|
The Aria the Scarlet Ammo light novels have sold over 1.9 million copies as of April 2011.
- "News: Hidan no Aria, English Durarara Promos Streamed". Anime News Network. January 21, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Funimation Week 49 of 2012". Funimation Entertainment. Retrieved November 24, 2012.
- "緋弾のアリア" (in Japanese). Syoboi. Archived from the original on 23 April 2011. Retrieved May 14, 2011.
- "緋弾のアリア" (in Japanese). Web Newtype. Archived from the original on May 10, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- "緋弾のアリア" (in Japanese). Web Newtype. Archived from the original on June 10, 2011. Retrieved June 10, 2011.
- "注目アニメ紹介 ：「緋弾のアリア」 ライトノベルをアニメ化 凸凹コンビのアクションラブコメ". Mantanweb (in Japanese). Mainichi Shimbun Digital. April 13, 2011. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Official light novel series website (Japanese)
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo - The Official Anime Website from FUNimation
- TBS Official anime website (Japanese)