Grande in July 2011
|Birth name||Ariana Grande-Butera|
June 26, 1993 |
Boca Raton, Florida, U.S.
|Occupations||Actress, singer, songwriter|
Ariana Grande-Butera (born June 26, 1993), known professionally as Ariana Grande, is an American actress, singer, and songwriter. Ariana grew up in Boca Raton, Florida where she attended North Broward Preparatory School. Grande made her acting debut in 2008 in the role of Charlotte in 13 on Broadway. From 2010 until 2013, she played Cat Valentine on the Nickelodeon sitcom Victorious and is reprising the role on the spinoff Sam & Cat.
In March 2013, Grande reached mainstream success after her single "The Way" from her debut studio album Yours Truly (2013) became a top-ten hit on the Billboard Hot 100. The album received critical acclaim and debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.
Grande was born and raised in Boca Raton, Florida, the daughter of Joan Grande and Edward Butera. She has an older brother, Frankie, who is also an actor. She is of Italian descent. Growing up, she took part in children's and community theater and attended North Broward Preparatory School.
2008–12: Beginnings and acting
In 2008, Grande played the role of Charlotte in the musical 13 on Broadway, for which she won a National Youth Theatre Association Award. When she joined the musical, Grande left her high school, North Broward Preparatory School, but continued to be enrolled. The school sent materials to her so she could study with tutors. In 2010, she created the original role of Miriam in the reading of the new musical, Cuba Libre, written and produced by Desmond Child. Grande played the character Cat Valentine in the Nickelodeon television show Victorious, which premiered March 2010. Grande was also featured in Dream Magazine as the cover girl for the August 2011 issue. In 2011, Ariana voiced an animated fairy, Princess Diaspro, on the Nickelodeon series Winx Club and starred as Snow White along with Charlene Tilton and Neil Patrick Harris in the Pasadena Playhouse production of A Snow White Christmas on December 13–23, 2012.
In August 2011, it was also announced that Victorious was ending its run. Grande tweeted stating that she was not hoping for it to end and was looking forward to being on both shows. It was announced during the network's presentation at the Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour on August 3, 2012 that Sam & Cat, which would pair Grande from Victorious and Jennette McCurdy from iCarly together in a traditional "buddy sitcom" setting, where they would reprise their roles as Cat Valentine and Sam Puckett. Sam & Cat was picked up by Nickelodeon on November 29, 2012. On July 11, 2013, Nickelodeon doubled Sam & Cat's season one twenty episode order, leading to season one having forty episodes.
Grande sang as a soloist in various symphonies, such as South Florida’s Philharmonic, Pops and Symphonic Orchestras. She has sung various times in NYC's Birdland. Grande performed a rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the first-ever broadcast of the national anthem for the Florida Panthers. Grande has performed covers of songs such as Mariah Carey's "Emotions" and "All I Want For Christmas Is You", and Whitney Houston's "I Believe in You and Me". The third soundtrack for Victorious was released on November 6, 2012, titled as Victorious 3.0. The first single was called "LA Boyz" (which was performed by Grande and Justice) and the music video was released October 18, 2012. In 2012, Grande also sang a duet with MIKA on the single version of his track Popular Song.
2013: Yours Truly
Grande completed her first studio album, Yours Truly, in June 2013. It was released on September 2, 2013 in the UK, and a day later in the US. The album was inspired by artists like Amy Winehouse, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Katy Perry, Madonna, Sky Blue from LMFAO, 3OH!3, Kool Kojak, and Pebe Sebert. Yours Truly officially debuted atop the Billboard 200 albums chart with 138,000 copies sold in its first week, becoming Grande's first number-one album as a solo artist. This made Grande the fifteenth female artist and the first female artist to have their first album debut atop of the charts since January 2010, when Kesha's Animal opened at No. 1. Yours Truly also debuted in the top ten in several other countries, including Australia where it debuted at number six, the UK where it debuted at number seven, Ireland where it debuted at number six, and the Netherlands where it debuted at number five. It also debuted just outside the top ten on New Zealand's top 40 albums chart at number eleven.
On March 26, 2013, Ariana's first single from her debut album, "The Way" featuring Pittsburgh rapper Mac Miller, was released. It became a Top 40 hit and Top 10 hit  and also received certifications of Platinum in US (RIAA) and Gold in Australia (ARIA). "The Way" sold over 120,000 units in the first 48 hours. Having sold over 219,000 units in its opening week, "The Way" holds the third best-selling first-week sales figure of 2013 behind Justin Timberlake's "Suit & Tie" and One Direction's "Best Song Ever". "The Way" debuted at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on the week ending in April 5, 2013, becoming Ariana's and Miller's first Hot 100 top 10 hit. This makes Ariana the first top ten arrival for a lead female artist making her first Hot 100 appearance since Yael Naim, who launched with "New Soul" back in 2008. The single as since sold two million copies in the United States and has been certified double platinum by the RIAA. In December 2013, Grande was sued by Minder Music for supposedly copying some lyrics from the 1972 song "Troglodyte" by The Jimmy Castor Bunch in her hit song "The Way." The album's second single, "Baby I", was released on July 22, 2013.
Grande played Amanda Benson "The Mountain Climber" in Swindle, an adaptation of the novel of the same name, by Gordon Korman, along with Sam & Cat co-star Jennette McCurdy. On August 25, 2013, Ariana made her MTV Video Music Awards debut performing her singles "Baby I" and "The Way" on the pre-show. On October 1, Grande performed "Popular Song" with Mika on Dancing with the Stars. Grande was nominated for the People's Choice Award for Favorite Breakout Artist, and won the American Music Award for New Artist of the Year. Grande performed two songs at the 2013 American Music Awards.
On September 12, 2013, it was reported that Ariana had already started work on her second studio album, due to be released in February 2014.
During American Music Awards of 2013, Ariana Grande dominated overall Twitter activity with the most mentions. Grande was mentioned in 231,966 tweets, the second most mentioned was One Direction's Niall Horan, who snared 108,969 mentions, topping Miley Cyrus by a mere 433 tweets.
On November 28, 2013, Ariana Grande performed at the 87th annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and sung Last Christmas.  On December 4, 2013, Ariana Grande Performed Love is Everything on NBC New York's Rockefeller Center with other artists such as, Mariah Carey, Kelly Clarkson and more.  In 2013, August and November, Grande is ranked at #7 on the Billboard Social 50 ranking located the artists most popularity worldwide in social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others, and the visits in web sites like YouTube, Vevo and more. In November , Grande is ranked at #3 and then she is ranked at #2 on the Billboard Social 50 and to date this is the highest position for her.
On December 13, 2013, Grande performed at Jingle Ball 2013 in New York's Madison Square Garden. 
On December 17, 2013 Grande released her first EP called Christmas Kisses. It's filled with four holiday songs: Last Christmas, Love Is Everything, Snow In California, and Santa Baby featuring Liz Gillies.
Grande possesses a four-octave range reaching a high of E7. Her voice has been compared to that of Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. Ariana expressed her feelings towards being compared to Mariah Carey as a "blessing".
Grande's debut is described as being half a "throwback" to the R&B music of the 1990s, and the second half she describes as "something that is very unique and very special that I've sort of written" which is completely original. In summation of the record she stated: "So half of it is a throwback and like very familiar feeling, feel-good, and then half of it is something that I've created that's sort of special and unique and refreshing and wonderful and I love it".
Grande is mainly influenced by Mariah Carey, India.Arie and Whitney Houston. She is also influenced by English singer, composer and songwriter Imogen Heap. Grande is a big fan of Fergie describing her as "fun and passionate". She grew up mainly listening to urban pop and 90s music. Grande also describes Big Sean as her favorite rapper, with whom she is good friends.
In September 2013, after much speculation, Grande confirmed that she was in a relationship The Wanted's Nathan Sykes. Sykes also tweeted out the news to his fans and thanked everyone for being so lovely about it. On October 7, 2013, Brooks accused Grande of cheating on him with Sykes before their relationship ended. Grande later claimed she never cheated on him and he used that post as a way to get his "fifteen minutes of fame."
Grande was raised a Roman Catholic but has since abandoned Christianity after Pope Benedict said that Spongebob Squarepants, Harry Potter, being gay, and working women were all 'sins'. Grande stated, "I lost faith when the Pope decided to tell me that everything I loved and believed in was wrong." She has since converted to Kabbalah which is a offshoot of Judaism. She say the basis lies in the idea that if you’re kind to others, good things will happen to you. 
At the age of 10, Grande co-founded the South Florida youth singing group Kids Who Care, which performed for charitable fund-raising events, raising over $500,000 for charities in 2007 alone. In the summer of 2009, as a member of the charitable organization Broadway in South Africa, Grande performed and taught music and dance to children in Gugulethu, South Africa along with her brother Frankie. Grande is also partnering with Kleenex on its "Shield Sneeze Swish" campaign.
|2009||The Battery's Down||Bat Mitzvah Riffer||Episode: "Bad Bad News" (season 2)|
|2010–13||Victorious||Cat Valentine||Main role|
|2011||iCarly||Cat Valentine||Episode: "iParty with Victorious" (season 4)|
|2011||Winx Club||Princess Diaspro||Voice role; 4 episodes|
|2013–||Sam & Cat||Cat Valentine||Co-lead role|
|2008||13||Charlotte / u/s Patrice|
|2012||A Snow White Christmas||Snow White|
- Yours Truly (2013)
Awards and nominations
Grande won a Billboard Mid-Year Music Award in 2013 in the category Best Newcomer. Billboard's 21 Under 21: Music's Hottest Minors, ranks her at fourth place on the list of the 21 most attractive young artists of 2013.
|2008||National Youth Theatre Association Awards||Best Actress||13||Won|
|2010||Hollywood Teen TV Awards||Teen Pick Actress: Comedy||Victorious||Nominated|
|2012||Favorite Television Actress||Won|
|2013||Billboard Mid-Year Music Awards||Best Newcomer||
|Teen Choice Awards||Best Love Song||The Way||Nominated|
|Best Breakout Artist||
|Candies' Style Icon||
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Artist On The Rise||
|American Music Awards||New Artist of The Year||
|Music Choice Awards||Best New Artist 2013||
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Breakout Artist||
- "Ariana Grande - Overview". AllMusic. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "Twitter: Ariana Grande (verified account)". May 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-08. "@pridelittlered Ariana Grande-Butera, everyone thinks Joan is my middle name but I don't actually have one! What's your middle name luv?"
- "Twitter: Ariana Grande (verified account)". February 3, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-03. "Oh my goodness. Look what I just found!.. This is my school ID from 8th grade. LOL. Had 2 share this with you guys."
- "Ariana Grande – about". arianagrande.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- "Twitter: Ariana Grande (verified account)". June 26, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-26. "I was born 17 years ago today. Woooop. :)"
- Johnson, Zach (June 25, 2013). "Ariana Grande Opens Up About an "Unhappy" Work Experience". US Weekly. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Lipschultz, Jason (June 16, 2013). "Ariana Grande Previews 'Baby I' Single, Announces Tour Dates". BILLBOARD. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Johnson, Chandra (June 25, 2013). "Ariana Grande Was 'So Unhappy' With 'Victorious' Drama Sam & Cat star dishes to Seventeen about on-set troubles.". MTV.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Nikutopia. "Ariana Grande’s Brother Frankie To Play Cat’s Brother In Upcoming "Victorious" Episode?". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Laracy, Noah. "Ariana Grande: A Back Stage Exclusive". Back Stage, May 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- "Twitter: Ariana Grande (verified account)". February 22, 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-28. "I am Italian American, half Sicilian and half Abruzzese…"
- "Ariana Grande - About Ariana". OfficalArianaGrande. Retrieved 2012.
- "Ariana Grande: From Boca To Broadway".[dead link] Girl2watch.com, May 4, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- August Cover: Ariana Grande.
- "Ariana Grande, Charlene Tilton and Neil Patrick Harris Headline A Snow White Christmas at Pasadena Playhouse, 12/13-23 – BroadwayWorld.com « Pasadena Playhouse". Pasadenaplayhouse.org. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Big Time Rush (August 10, 2012). "M Exclusive: Victorious will NOT be returning for season four! – M Magazine". Mmm-mag.com. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Nickelodeon greenlights an 'iCarly' spinoff and other new shows". Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (2012-11-29). "Nickelodeon Greenlights Spinoff of 'iCarly,' 'Victorious'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- 2 DAYS (2011-11-17). "Nickelodeon's 'Sam & Cat' Doubles Season 1 Order". Hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- Emotions - Ariana Grande ( Mariah Carey cover ) Retrieved 07/25/12.
- Ariana Grande singing All I Want For Christmas Is You at the Citadel Tree Lighting Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- Ariana Grande singing I Believe in You and Me by Whitney Houston, Retrieved Nov 18, 2012.
- Popular Song - Single Premiere, Retrieved 19/12/12.
- Lauren Joskowitz (2012-08-08). "Ariana Grande on debut album: 'It used to be pages from my diary'". Sheknows.com. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- "Ariana Grande Finishes Recording First Album". Fanlala. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Scooter Braun Makes An Announcement About Ariana Grande’s "Yours Truly" Album". Nickutopia. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Writing W/ NICK JONAS!". oceanUP.com. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Ariana Grande Talks Working With Nick Jonas". YouTube. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Nick Jonas". Nick J Online. 2011-05-06. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- Caulfield, Keith. "Ariana Grande Debuts At No. 1 On Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- HITS Daily Double: Building Album Sales Chart
- Rap-Up.com || Ariana Grande, Tamar Braxton Score Top Debuts
- Ladies First Quiz: Ariana Grande & 15 No. 1 Female Debut Albums | Billboard
- Ariana Grande Heading for Top of Billboard 200 | Billboard
- "WEEK COMMENCING 9 SEPTEMBER, 2013". ARIA Charts.
- Lane, Daniel. "The 1975 score debut Number 1 album". Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Top 100 Individual Artist Albums Week Ending 5th September 2013". IRMA.
- "Yours Truly". Dutch Charts.
- NZ Top 40 Albums Chart | The Official New Zealand Music Chart
- "Twitter / ArianaGrande: My new single "The Way" feat". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "The Way: Ariana Grande: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2013-03-16.[dead link]
- "iTunes - Music - The Way (feat. Mac Miller) - Single by Ariana Grande". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Billboard hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "RIAA - Ariana Grande". Recording Industry Association of America. 2013-04-01.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2013 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. 2013-04-01.
- Grande, Ariana. "Ariana tweets about The Way".
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Breakout Hit "The Way"". Billboard.
- "Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Top Hot 100; Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grande Hit Top 10". Billboard. February 16, 2008. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Sued for Allegedly Copying Song Lyrics".
- Mon, July 15, 2013 2:00pm EDT by Avery Thompson (2013-07-15). "Ariana Grande: ‘Baby I’ — Singer Reveals Name Of New Single". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "News | New Deets on Swindle!". Nick.com. Retrieved 2013-02-27.[dead link]
- Marechal, AJ (2012-10-03). "Nick stars set to ‘Swindle’". Variety. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Mon, October 21, 2013 10:02pm EDT by Andy Swift (2013-10-21). "[VIDEO] Ariana Grande On ‘DWTS’ — Sings ‘Popular Song’ With Mika". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "People’s Choice Awards 2014: Full List Of Nominees, How To Vote For The PCAs". Ibtimes.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "AMAs 2013: See the complete winners list". ew.com. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Ariana Grande and Christina Aguilera Added To Star-Studded AMAs Line-Up". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Ariana Grande to release a new album 'different from Yours Truly' in February". 12-09-13.
- Gallo, Phil. "Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift Lead AMAs to Record Twitter Traffic (Exclusive)". Bilboard. Billboard. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Showiz, Bang. "Ariana Grande leads Thanksgiving Day parade". contactmusic. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Harrison, Lily. "Ariana Grande, Jimmy Fallon and Austin Mahone Perform at Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade—See the Pics!". Eonline. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "VIDEO: Ariana Grande Performs 'Love is Everything' on NBC". Broadway. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Thomas, Rebecca. "Ariana Grande And Mariah Carey Have A Diva Duel On Rockefeller 'Christmas' Special". MTV. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Ariana Grande- Christmas Kisses (2013)". New Album Realeases. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Limelight Spotlight Q&A: Ariana Grande". January 13, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Ariana Grande 101: Is She Really the New Mariah? - Vulture
- Posted: 04/24/2013 5:11 pm EDT (2013-04-24). "Ariana Grande Covers Whitney Houston's 'I Believe In You And Me' In Studio (VIDEO)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Ariana Grande Is Honored By Mariah Carey Comparisons". Popcrush.com. 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- Harp, Justin (September 17, 2013). "Ariana Grande: 'Mariah Carey comparison is a blessing'". Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Lipshutz, Jason (March 28, 2013). "Ariana Grande Talks Breakout Hit 'The Way': Watch New Music Video". Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Vena, Jocelyn (August 1, 2013). "Ariana Grande Is Introducing The 'Real' Ariana On Yours Truly". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Corner, Lewis (April 18, 2013). "Ariana Grande: 'Fergie's Clumsy always gives me inspiration'". Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Sources: that-kids-a-legend.tumblr.com, media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bw95Muz91qcpg4x.gif, weheartit.com (May 23, 2013). "Ariana Grande And Jai Brooks Are The Cutest Teen Celeb Couple Ever". Huffington Post (Teen). Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Dating Jai Brooks". BSC Kids.
- "Ariana Grande Twitlonger". Ariana Grande Verified Twitter.
- Skyes, Nathan (25 September 2013). "Twitter / NathanTheWanted: So, I guess it's obvious ...". Twitter. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Grande, Ariana (25 September 2013). "Twitter / ArianaGrande: we hesitated saying anything ...". Twitter. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Brooks, Jai (7 October 2013). "Twitter / JaiBrooks1: Yes I was cheated on. Yes it ...". Twitter. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Hilton, Perez. "EXCLUSIVE! Ariana Grande Falsely Accused Of Cheating Because Ex Wants 15 Minutes Of Fame!".
- "Ariana Grande Goes Vegan!". PETA2. 11/11/2013. Retrieved 11/11/2013.
- "Ariana Grande gets a third puppy". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved 11/16/13.
- Cornell, David. "Ariana Grande Loses Her Religion Over Pope Benedict". The Inquisitr News. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- Grande interview with WPIX TV[dead link], April 30, 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- Kretzer, Michelle. "Ariana Grande Goes Vegan". Peeta. Retrieved 11/16/13.
- "A Snow White Christmas « The Pasadena Playhouse". Pasadenaplayhouse.org. 2012-12-30. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "21 Under 21: Music's Hottest Minors 2013". Billboard.
- "Biografía de Ariana Grande". Musica.com.
- "Hollywood Teen TV Awards".
- "Hollywood Teen TV Awards - Favorite Television Actress".
- "Billboard Mid-Year Music Awards Winners. Ariana won Best Newcomer award with 50% of votes.".
- "Miley Cyrus And Ariana Grande Win Music Choice Awards". teeninfonet. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "MC 100: Ariana Grande". YouTube. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ariana Grande.|
- Official website
- Ariana Grande at the Internet Movie Database
- Ariana Grande at the Internet Broadway Database