Arid Forest Research Institute
|Arid Forest Research Institute|
|शुष्क वन अनुसंधान संस्थान|
|Type||Education and Research institute|
|Location|| PO Kirshi Upaz Mandi, New Pali Road, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India 342005
|Campus||Urban : Spread over 163.09 acres (0.6600 km2)|
Arid Forest Research Institute (AFRI) is a Research institute situated in Jodhpur in Rajasthan. The institute carries out scientific research in forestry in order to provide technologies to increase the vegetative cover and to conserve the biodiversity in the hot Arid and semi arid region of Rajasthan and Gujarat. It works under the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India.
The institute is situated on Jodhpur Pali Road (NH 65) in a beautiful campus spreading over 66 hectare area housing office buildings, laboratories, library cum information center, community center, guest house, scientist hostel and residential quarters.
The institute is headed by the Director supported by Group Coordinator (Research) and Coordinator (Facilities). The Institute has six divisions with well equipped laboratories and technical manpower namely
1. Forest ecology Division
3. Forest protection Division
4. Silviculture Division
These divisions are well supported with the Information technology Cell, Coordinator ( Facilities ), Accounts Section and Library cum Information Center and an Extension Wing.
The institute has a working strength of 133 which includes two Conservator of Forests, one Deputy Conservator of Forests, 19 Scientists, a Controller, an Assistant Administrative Officer, a Hindi officer, a Librarian, 6 Research Officers, A Range Officer and ministerial & Technical Staff.
Mandate of the Institute
- To develop techniques for Rainwater harvesting in arid areas.
- To develop technology for Afforestation on stress sites.
- Eco-stabilization of deserts with emphasis on sand dune fixation.
- To develop techniques for production of high quality planting material
- Provenance trial of important arid zone species.
- Studies on Biofertilizer and Biopesticide.
- Research on Non-Wood Forest Products of arid zone.
- Tree improvement through tissue culture & Genetic engineering.
- Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education
- Ministry of Environment and Forests (India)
- Forest Research Institute
- Central Arid Zone Research Institute
- AFRI Model Nursery
- Van Vigyan Kendra (VVK) Forest Science Centres
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arid Forest Research Institute, Jodhpur.|