|Arie S. Belldegrun|
|Born||1949 (age 64–65)
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Citizenship||Israeli and American|
|Alma mater||Hadassah Medical Center
Weizmann Institute of Science
Early life and academia
Belldegrun was born in Israel. He received his medical degree from the Hadassah Medical Center at Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1974, and conducted his post-graduate studies at the Weizmann Institute of Science in 1979. He completed his Urologic Surgery residency at Harvard Medical School in 1985, and his Surgical Oncology fellowship at the National Cancer Institute in 1988. He is certified by the American Board of Urology, and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons. Belldegrun is the Director of the UCLA Institute of Urologic Oncology, Professor of Urology, and Chief of the Division of Urologic Oncology at the David Geffen School of Medicine.
In 1996, Belldegrun founded Agensys, an early-stage privately held biotechnology company based in Los Angeles, that is focused on the development of fully human monoclonal antibodies to treat solid tumor cancers in a variety of cancer targets. He served as its founding Chairman of the Board of Directors from 1996 to 2002, and then as a Director until December 2007, when Agensys was acquired by Astellas Pharma in a deal valued at $537 million.
Belldegrun has been a founding Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of Cougar Biotechnology since 2003, a Los Angeles-based company with a focus in the field of oncology. In July 2009, the company was acquired by Johnson & Johnson in a $970 million transaction. In April 2011, the United States Food and Drug Administration approved Abiraterone Acetate (Zytiga), Cougar’s lead product, for late stage prostate cancer.
Two River and portfolio companies
Since 2008, Belldegrun has been the Chairman and Partner of Two River, a New York-based venture capital firm and merchant bank focused on the life science sector. Two River is involved in founding, financing or managing companies that are focused on developing preventative and therapeutic technologies for a broad spectrum of disease areas including oncology, cardiovascular disease, neurological disorders and companion animal health care.
He is the Chairman, President and CEO of Kite Pharma (NASDAQ: KITE) which he founded in 2009, and Chairman of Arno Therapeutics (OTCBB: ARNI) since March 2008, two of the portfolio companies of Two River.
Other board memberships
Belldegrun also serves as a member of the following boards:
- Teva - Director and Chairman of the Science & Technology Committee (since February 2013)
- TheraCoat - Chairman (since October 2012)
- SonaCare Medical - Director and Urological Advisor (since September 2009)
- Oncura - Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
- Roei Medical Technologies - Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
In the past, Belldegrun served as a member of a number of boards, including:
- Nile Therapeutics (September 2009 to November 2013) - Director
- Talon Therapeutics (April 2004 to December 2009) - Director, Chairman of the Compensation Committee and member of the Nominating & Governance Committee
- Paramount Acquisition (June 2005 to January 2008) - Director
- Chem Rx Corporation (2005-2008) - Director
- RENCAREX at Wilex AG - Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
- Email Real Estate.com - Director
- In May 2013, TheraCoat, a clinical stage specialty pharmaceutical company of which Belldegrun is the Chairman, has raised $7 million in capital from private investors and venture funds.
- In October 2013, Arno Therapeutics completed a $30.7 million financing of equity.
- In November 2013, Nile Therapeutics completed a merger with Capricor to form Capricor Therapeutics (OTCBB: CAPR). Capricor has become a wholly owned subsidiary of Nile.
- In February 2014, Velcera, a portfolio company of Two River, was acquired by Perrigo for $160 million.
- In April 2014, Kite Pharma completed a $50 million mezzanine private financing of convertible notes, and in May, the company filed a registration with the SEC for an IPO of its common stock, with a proposed maximum offering price of $115 million. The company listed on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol “KITE.” The company planned to raise $78 million by offering 6 million shares at a price range of $12.00 to $14.00. At the midpoint of the proposed range, Kite Pharma would command a market value of $548 million. On 20 June 2014, 7.5 million shares of Kite Pharma, priced at $17 a share began trading on the NASDAQ, indicating a market valuation of $632.4 million for the company.
Belldegrun is married to Dr. Rebecka Belldegrun and together they have four children. They reside in Bel Air, a small community of Los Angeles. Their oldest son, Ben Belldegrun, a hedge fund manager, is married to Kelly Bergantz, senior producer for Syco.
Belldegrun has written over 400 scientific publications related to urologic oncology, and has authored several books on prostate and kidney cancers. He was one of the speakers at the Milken Institute Global Conference 2013, delivered the keynote Andrew C. Novick Memorial Lecture at the Ninth International Kidney Cancer Symposium, and presented at the 32nd Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference.
- "Curriculum Vitae", InfoFAQ, July 2007. Retrieved on 22 June 2013.
- "Dr. Arie S. Belldegrun, MD, FACS Joins Two River Group Holdings as Chairman and Partner". Reuters. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Arie Belldegrun, MD", UCLA Health. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Arie Belldegrun, M.D.", David Geffen School of Medicine. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Arie Belldegrun, M.D.", USRF. Retrieved on 23 June 2013.
- "Advisory Board", Penn LSM. Retrieved on 28 August 2013.
- Moster, Roxanne & Champeau, Rachel (27 November 2007). "UCLA scientists' biotech firm to be acquired by pharmaceutical corp.". UCLA Newsroom. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Board of Directors", Nile Therapeutics. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Johnson & Johnson Completes Acquisition of Cougar Biotechnology". Cougar Biotechnology. 10 July 2009. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Board of Directors", Arno Therapeutics. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Team", Two River. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Arie S. Belldegrun M.D., FACS", Businessweek. Retrieved on 19 July 2013.
- "TheraCoat Has Completed a Capital Raising of $7M led by Pontifax and Chaim Hurvitz's CHealth Fund". The Wall Street Journal. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Elliott, Peter (15 May 2013). "Kite Pharma Completes $35 Million Series A Preferred Stock Financing". iStreetWire. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Arno Therapeutics Completes $30.7 Million Financing, Recapitalization and 1-for-8 Reverse Stock Split " The Wall Street Journal (New York). 30 October 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Capricor and Nile Therapeutics Complete Merger to Form Capricor Therapeutics, Inc. ". Bloomberg. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Ail, Pallavi (1 February 2014). "Perrigo expands further into pet care with Velcera deal". Reuters. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "Kite Pharma, Inc. Completes $50 Million Mezzanine Private Financing". MarketWatch. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "Kite Pharma (KITE) Files $115M IPO". StreetInsider. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Kite Pharma Files Registration Statement for Proposed Initial Public Offering". Digital Journal. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- Dion, Don (18 June 2014). "IPO For Kite Pharma Might Fly High". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "12 US IPOs planned for the week of Jun 16". NASDAQ. 16 June 2014. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Calia, Michael (20 June 2014). "Kite Pharma Soars Above IPO Price on First Day of Trading". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Kite Pharma (KITE) IPO Surges Higher". StreetInsider. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Architecture Project Entries 2003", AIANY, 2003. Retrieved on 23 June 2013.
- Kay, Richard (23 October 2012). "RICHARD KAY: Cowell girl gets the Yes Factor". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Nile Therapeutics Appoints Arie S. Belldegrun, M.D., to Board of Directors". Reuters. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "US HIFU Appoints Arie Belldegrun, M.D. to Board of Directors". Reuters. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Global Conference 2013". Milken Institute. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Medical Symposia Keynote Addresses". Kidney Cancer Association. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Kite Pharma to Present at the 32nd Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". BizJournals (Charlotte). 7 January 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.