July 8, 1982 |
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Early life and education
Helwani was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Helwani's mother is from Lebanon and his father is from Egypt. He grew up in a Jewish family in Mount Royal, Quebec and Westmount and attended the Akiva School and Herzliah High School.
Journalist Helwani has been covering mixed martial arts professionally since 2006. He works for MMAFighting.com (SB Nation) and Fox Sports. Helwani serves as an "MMA Insider" for Fox Sports 1's weekly "UFC Tonight" show and other pre- and post-event programming. He is the former co-host of the Sirius XM radio show "Fight Club", and is currently the host of "The MMA Hour" podcast.
Honors and awards
In 2011, FIGHT! Magazine named him as one of their "Power 20", a list of the "most significant power players, movers, shakers, ambassadors, and game-changers in MMA," describing him as "the Howard Cosell of MMA".
- Lees, James (July 18, 2010). "Full Mount Focus: Ariel Helwani". FullMount.co.uk. Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- Hackett, Miles (October 5, 2009). "FLD Exclusive - Ariel Helwani: The Man Behind the Microphone". FightLockdown.com. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- "VigilanteMMA Exclusive Interview: Ariel Helwani". VigilanteMMA.com. September 30, 2010. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- Lazarus, David. "Montreal native is a mixed martial arts broadcaster", The Canadian Jewish News, January 13, 2011.
- FIGHT! Staff, "The 4th Annual Power 20", FIGHT! Magazine, July 2011 issue.
- "Ariel Helwani on finding his calling down the road less traveled", Martyr magazine, January 12, 2012.
- "UFC's New Announcing Crew Mostly Impresses".
- "The MMA Hour".
- "World MMA Awards 2010 Winners". MMAFighting.com. 2010-06-30. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|