||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
Florida State University
Lahore University of Management Sciences
|Alma mater||Stanford University
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont Graduate University
|Doctoral advisor||Persi Diaconis|
|Other academic advisors||Jerome Spanier|
|Known for||Contributions in pseudo-random number generation and his contribution to the field of Computer science|
Arif Zaman, Ph.D., is a Pakistani mathematician, an academic scientist and a professor of Statistics and Mathematics at Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering, Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan. Before joining LUMS in 1994, he also served Statistics Department at Purdue University and Florida State University .
Zaman attended the Harvey Mudd College where he completed his B.S. in Mathematics in 1976. He completed his M.A. Applied Mathematics in 1977, and PhD Statistics from Stanford University in 1981. In his doctoral thesis he studied de Finetti's theorem and its possible turn out in Markov chain. His dissertation was supervised by Persi Diaconis.
Zaman's recent research has been in the field of pseudo-random number generation which is now widely used in modern computing needs. He has also published papers on generalisations of Markov chains, and on using computers to solve various theoretical problems in mathematics and statistics. His publications have been in various journals including: The Annals of Probability, Mathematics of Computation, Journal of Applied Probability, and Journal of Statistical Computation.
In his student years at Stanford, he was also rumored to be one of the two people involved in creating one of the first rabbit worms that replicated themselves over the local network.
- Arif Zaman (1984), "An Approximation Theorem for Finite Markov Exchangeability", Annals of Applied Probability, volume 4, page 223–229.
- Random Binary Matrices in Bio-ecological Ecology - Instituting a Good Neighbor Policy, Environmental and Ecological Statistics, 9, No. 4, 405-421, 2002, (with D. Simberloff).
- "Statistics - 40 year celebration - Purdue University".
- "Alumni 1981-1982, Dept. of Statistics, Stanford University". Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "Arif Zaman". Arif Zaman , Professor of Mathematics and Statistics. 19 November 2007. Archived from the original on 28 May 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2010.