|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
In nineteenth century Arifwala was only a village named as Chak No. 61/EB. Later, it was called Arifwala because of a Landlord named "Arif" having Agriculture land in this village. In 1908, the Deputy Governor "Hurbert" founded new city of Arifwala. In 1987, Arifwala was raised to the status of sub-division and in 1995 it was attached to district Pakpattan.
Most of the population are farmers, about 75% of the population live in villages and only 25% live in the municipal urban area. But the trend is shifting with the increase of industrialization in the premises of Arifwala and people are moving to the urban area. Arifwala Tehsil covers an area of 295,146 acres (1180 km2) with a population of about 720,000. The urban area covers 457 acres (1.82 km2) and the agriculture area covers 1274 acres (3.18 km²).
Agriculture is important to the local economy, particularly the growing of cotton, grain, potato, wheat and rice exported all over Pakistan and around the world. The grain market of is one of the biggest grain markets in Pakistan.But from few years the advanced way of agriculture is on peak in which is called as Tunnel Farming.Now it is the big source of economy in this area.Farmers here grow different kinds of vegetables which are also exported in all over Pakistan.
Industry of Arifwala city is primarily an Agro-based. The main industries include Beverage & Food processing units, Rice Mills, Cotton Ginning & Pressing, Flour Mills, Fertilizer companies, Vegetable Ghee & Cooking Oil, Poultry Feed, Seed Processing and leather products.
The climate of Arifwala is extreme, reaching 50 °C in summer, and down to 0 °C in winter. The soil of the suburbs is very fertile.
Educational Institutions in Arifwala are doing satisfactory job although the no. of quality institutes aren't high in number. "Government Degree College for Boys Arifwala" and "Government Degree College for Women Arifwala" are the biggest institute in the city.
Arifwala houses several public and private schools of quality. Few of them are following:
- Govt. Boys High School Arifwala
- Govt. Boys MC High School Arifwala
- Govt. Islamia Shakarganj High School Arifwala
- Govt. Girls High School Arifwala
- The Smart School
- Al-Noor Public Girls High School
- Ofxord Public Middle School
- Global School System Arifwala
- Government Girls High School MC MODEL Arifwala
- Divisional Public School Arifwala
- University Public School Arifwala
- The American Lyceum Arifwala
- New Beaconhouse Public High School Arifwala
- The Educators Arifwala
- National Development School Arifwala
- Iqra Public School Arifwala
- Masali Zikria Science Secondary School
Colleges & Universities
Arifwala houses few colleges. Some of them are as following:
- Govt. Degree College for Boys Arifwala
- Govt. Degree College for Women Arifwala
- Virtual University Arifwala Campus
- Comsats University Arifwala Campus
- South Asian University Arifwala Campus
- National College Arifwala
- Superior Group of Colleges Arifwala
- Suffa Educational Complex Arifwala
- Punjab Group of Colleges Arifwala
- Leads Group of Colleges Arifwala
- ROYAL Education & Law College Arifwala
- "Tehsils & Unions in the District of Pakpattan". Government of Pakistan. Retrieved 24 October 2012.