Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra
|The Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra|
|Origin||Leeds, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Afrobeat, Funk, Jazz|
|Labels||First Word Records|
|Members||Eddie Hick, Paul Baxter, Tarek Modi, Neil Innes, Simon Nixon, Pete Williams, Martyn Strange, Leon Johnson, Kris Wright|
|Past members||Duncan Hamilton, Gareth Parry, Joost Hendrickx, Al MacSween|
The Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra is a Leeds-based afrobeat band that takes influence from Fela Kuti's Africa 70 band amongst many others. Although their music uses Afrobeat rhythm and language, they also owe part of their sound to the space Jazz pioneers of the 70’s and the free jazz trailblazers of the 60’s. The band have been quoted to credit James Brown and Tony Allen for having a large influence on their music.
The band was founded in 2007 after a series of jam sessions at the Leeds basement bar and music venue 'Sela Bar'. In 2009 after a couple of years defining their sound, the band were signed to independent record label First Word Records.
In 2010 the band performed throughout the UK at venues such as London's Plan B, Vibe Bar, The Wardrobe  in Leeds, Limetree Festival and Shambala festival. On the 30th of October 2010 the band performed a live session on BBC6 Music for the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show.
In 2010 The Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra recorded their first single. It was released in January 2010 on 7-inch vinyl. On the A-side is a cover of Crosstown Traffic by Jimi Hendrix with the band opting for an original track 'Lost in Kinchasa' as a B-side.
On the 15th of November 2010 the band's self-titled debut album 'Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra' was released on worldwide digital download and CD. The album and single for the most part were recorded and mixed at the Analog Rooms in Elland.
In August 2012, Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra announced the arrival of their second album entitled 'Towards Other Worlds'. The band announced public performances at The Wardrobe in Leeds and Bedroom Bar in London for their UK album launch events. 
- Eddie Hick – Drums (2007–present)
- Paul Baxter – Bass (2007–present)
- Tarek Modi – Keyboards, Synth, Vocoder (2007–present)
- Neil Innes – Guitar (2011–present)
- Simon Nixon – Trumpet (2007–present)
- Pete Williams – Tenor Sax (2007–present)
- Martyn Strange – Baritone Sax (2007–present)
- Leon Johnson – Tenor Sax and Shekere (2007–present)
- Kris Wright – Percussion (2010–present)
- Duncan Hamilton - Trombone (2007)
- Gareth Parry – Guitar (2007–2011)
- Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra (2010, First Word Records)
- Towards Other Worlds (2012, First Word Records)
EPs & Singles
- Crosstown Traffic (A-side) / Lost in Kinshasa (B-side) (2010, First Word Records) 7"
- Future Ancestors (A-side) / Get On The Floor (B-side) (2012, First Word Records) 7"