Play in in US Airways Center
in Phoenix, Arizona
Black, Copper, Teal, White
|Mascot||Fang and Stryker|
|General manager||Kevin Guy|
|Head coach||Kevin Guy|
League championships (4)
Division championships (8)
|Playoff appearances (18)|
|1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013|
The Arizona Rattlers are a professional arena football team based in Phoenix, Arizona. They are currently members of the Western Division of the National Conference in the Arena Football League (AFL) and are the current league champions. The Rattlers were founded in 1992 as an expansion team. They play their home games at US Airways Center. The Rattlers are led by Head Coach Kevin Guy. Since the team's establishment in 1992, the Rattlers have won eight division titles and have played in eight ArenaBowl Championship games, winning championships in 1994, 1997, 2012 and 2013.
- 1 History
- 2 Notable players
- 3 Notable coaches
- 4 Team ownership
- 5 Season-by-season
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In early years, the Rattlers played their home games at America West Arena, which they shared with the Phoenix Suns. The arena was renamed US Airways Center in 2005 and the Rattlers continue to play their home games there and share the arena with the Phoenix Suns and the Phoenix Mercury. They conduct practices at Gene Autry Park in Mesa, Arizona.
Previous head coaches include Gene Nudo, Todd Shell and former Dallas Cowboys and Arizona State University quarterback, and punter, Danny White, who led the Rattlers to their ArenaBowl championships and was named 1993 AFL Coach of the Year.
Notable former Arizona Rattlers players include former Arizona Cardinal quarterback Sherdrick Bonner, former kicker Kyle Pooler former San Diego Chargers defensive specialist Cecil Doggette, former Miami Dolphins wide receiver Randy Gatewood, former New Orleans Saints lineman Mark Tucker and former Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Chris Horn.
On May 12, 2011, Ron Shurts became the new majority owner of the Rattlers franchise.
In 2011, the Rattlers won 16 games in the regular season, a league-record for wins in a single regular season. In the playoffs, by winning the National Conference championship, they clinched a berth in ArenaBowl XXIV. They lost the game to the Jacksonville Sharks when Jacksonville quarterback Aaron Garcia threw a game-winning touchdown pass on the game's final play. The Rattlers redeemed themselves the following season, winning ArenaBowl XXV over the Philadelphia Soul to win their first title in 15 years.
In 2013, the Rattlers and Soul met again in ArenaBowl XXVI, with the Rattlers winning yet again, 48-39. This made them the first team since 1995 to win back-to-back championships, and the first team in history to beat the same team for both titles.
Arizona Rattlers roster
Refuse to Report
Other League Exempt
Rookies in italics
Retired uniform numbers
|Arizona Rattlers retired numbers|
|13||Sherdrick Bonner||QB||1993-2007||June 16, 2010|||
|14||Hunkie Cooper||WR/LB||1993-2005||May 6, 2005|||
|17||Randy Gatewood||WR/DB||1996-2007||May 9, 2008|||
Arena Football League Hall of Famers
|Arizona Rattlers Hall of Famers|
|No.||Name||Year Inducted||Position(s)||Years w/ Rattlers|
|--||Gene Nudo||2011||Executive/Head Coach||1993-2007|
|--||Danny White||2002||Head Coach||1994-2002|
Arizona Rattlers All-Arena players
The following Rattlers players have been named to All-Arena Teams:
- QB Sherdrick Bonner (5), Nick Davila (3)
- FB Odie Armstrong (2)
- FB/LB Bob McMillen (2)
- WR Rod Windsor (3), Maurice Purify (1)
- WR/DB Cedric Tillman (1), Randy Gatewood (6)
- WR/LB Hunkie Cooper (4)
- OL Kyle Young (2), Brennen Carvalho (1), Michael Huey (2), Billy Eisenhardt (1)
- DL Anttaj Hawthorne (2)
- OL/DL Doc Wise (1), Bryan Henderson (1)
- DB Virgil Gray (2), Arkeith Brown (2)
- K Fabrizio Scaccia (1), Garrett Lindholm (1)
- OS Hunkie Cooper (2), Calvin Schexnayder (2), Chris Horn (1)
- DS Cecil Doggette (1)
- KR Virgil Gray (1)
Arizona Rattlers All-Ironman players
The following Rattlers players have been named to All-Ironman Teams:
Arizona Rattlers All-Rookie players
The following Rattlers players have been named to All-Rookie Teams:
Note: Statistics are correct through the end of the 2013 Arena Football League season.
|Danny White||1992–2004||121||55||0||.688||20||10||1993 Coach of the Year|
|Kevin Guy||2008–present||62||24||0||.721||8||3||2011 Coach of the Year|
|Arizona Rattlers staff|
"I have been an Arizona Rattlers season ticket holder since day one and attended the first Arizona Rattlers game at America West Arena. I believe in the team and the Arena Football League," said Shurts. "I want to bring the passion and excitement for Rattlers football back to US Airways Center and the Valley."
"Downtown Phoenix continues to grow and the Rattlers will be an integral part of the affordable, family-fun entertainment that the Suns and the Mercury are providing the local community," Shurts added.
- Williams, Cory. "Arena Football: Arizona Rattlers Find New Majority Owner, Ron Shurts". SB Nation Arizona. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "Game Statistics". www.arenafootball.com. Arena Football League. August 10, 2012. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "Arizona Rattlers Repeat as ArenaBowl Champions". www.arenafootball.com. Arena Football League. August 17, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Joe Williams (August 17, 2013). "ArenaBowl XXVI: Rattlers win 2nd Arena Football League title in row". www.orlandosentinel.com. Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- "Arizona Rattlers To Retire Shedrick Bonner's Jersey". www.boxscorenews.com. Stryker-Indigo. June 12, 2010. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- Darren Urban (May 6, 2005). "Rattlers to honor former star at halftime ceremony". www.eastvalleytribune.com. East Valley Tribune. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- "Rattlers To Retire Randy Gatewood's Number 17". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. April 29, 2008. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- Official Website
- Arizona Rattlers at ArenaFan.com
- Rattler Report
- Rattlers coverage from The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com