Arizona State Route 186
|Rex Allen Drive, Maley Street|
|Maintained by ADOT|
|Length:||33.39 mi (53.74 km)|
|Existed:||1955 – present|
|West end:||I-10 near Willcox|
|East end:||SR 181 west of Chiricahua N.M.|
State Route 186 (SR 186) is a highway in Cochise County, Arizona that runs from its junction with Interstate 10 in Willcox to its junction with SR 181 west of the Chiricahua National Monument. It is a northwest-southeast diagonal route.
The western terminus of SR 186 is located at an interchange with I-10 in Willcox. It heads east from I-10 along Rex Allen Drive to an intersection with the business loop of I-10. SR 186 heads southwest from this insersection concurrent with I-10 Bus. until it reaches Maley Street. At this intersection, SR 186 follows Maley Street to the southeast as I-10 Bus. continues to the southwest. SR 186 heads southeast from Willcox until it curves towards the east at an intersection with Kansas Settlement Road. The highway continues on this heading until it curves towards the south after passing through Dos Cabezas. The highway curves back towards the southeast until it curves back towards the south near its eastern terminus. The eastern terminus of SR 186 is located at ain intersection with SR 181 west of the Chiricahua National Monument.
Aside from its endpoint in Willcox, SR 186 passes through only sparsely populated terrain, and there are no other cities or towns along the route. It serves primarily as an access road for the monument, providing a more convenient route for travellers coming from the north.
The route was added the Arizona's state highway system in 1955, when a county road was given rights to the Arizona Department of Transportation. The highway was paved from Willcox southeast for approximately four miles in 1960 before being moved a year later. The highway was then reextended into the city of Willcox in 1968 and formally established as a state highway in 1970, when the definition of a state highway was refined in 1970. Since then, there have been no routing changes on SR 186.
The entire route is in Cochise County.
|Wilcox||0.00||0.00||I-10 / US 191 – Tucson, Douglas, El Paso, Safford|
|1.31||2.11||I-10 Bus. – El Paso||West end of I-10 Bus. concurrency|
|2.02||3.25||I-10 Bus.||East end of I-10 Bus. concurrency|
|33.39||53.74||SR 181 – Chiricahua National Monument|
- Arizona Department of Transportation. "2008 ADOT Highway Log". Retrieved 2008-04-09.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – overview map of SR 186 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=2960276187372208208,32.266478,-109.843918%3B4987991154740012154,32.006839,-109.440030&saddr=AZ-186+%4032.266478,+-109.843918&daddr=AZ-186+%4032.006839,+-109.440030&doflg=ptm&sll=32.13666,-109.641975&sspn=0.74075,0.75531&ie=UTF8&z=10. Retrieved April 21, 2008.
- Arziona Department of Transportation. "Resolution 1955-P-137". Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Arziona Department of Transportation. "Resolution 1960-096". Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Arziona Department of Transportation. "Resolution 1961-002". Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Arziona Department of Transportation. "Resolution 1968-041". Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Arziona Department of Transportation. "Resolution 1970-018". Retrieved 2010-07-17.