|Born||Arjan Singh Aulakh
August 12, 1974
San Francisco, California, U.S.
Arjan Singh (born August 12, 1974), known by the stage name Arj Barker, is an American stand-up comedian and actor from San Anselmo, California. He has toured in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. He was born to an engineer father and artist mother, and is half-Indian, half-European. His father is of Sikh heritage.
Arj Barker appeared on Premium Blend in 1997, followed by appearances on the shows Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Glass House. He twice hosted Comedy Central Presents, first on 20 September 2000 and 31 March 2006. Arj was featured in Comedy Central's animated series Shorties Watchin' Shorties. He appeared on the Australian show Thank God You're Here on 18 October 2006, 19 September 2007 and 17 June 2009.
Barker co-wrote and performed in The Marijuana-Logues, an Off-Broadway show in New York, with Doug Benson and Tony Camin. The title of the show was a parody of The Vagina Monologues. NBC gave Barker the lead role for sitcom Nearly Nirvana, originally scheduled for 2004. However, Barker was replaced in the lead role by the show's creator, Ajay Sahgal, and the show never aired.
Arj Barker appeared in the HBO sitcom Flight of the Conchords, playing Bret and Jemaine's indifferent friend Dave. Arj has enjoyed success in Australia for a number of years since first appearing at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival in 2000, and presently resides there.
Arj and Poopy
Arj also has his own Flash series, Arj and Poopy, based on some of his stand-up material, that stars him and his cat, Poopy, who talks by farting. The series is animated by Bernard Derriman, and has been syndicated to AtomFilms.
List of episodes
- "Venetian Rowing Machine"
- "Brutally Ambushed"
- "Long Distance Relationship"
- "Unlucky in Love"
- "Oh, Christmas tree"
- "Congo Windfall"
Last Comic Standing
Arj was featured as a contestant on the first episode of the fifth season of Last Comic Standing, where he advanced to the Los Angeles semi-final round. He then failed to progress to the final 10 in the semi-final round.
|1999||Arj Barker: Issue Were Here|
|2010||Arj Barker: LYAO|
- "A Conversation With Arj Barker". 29 April 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "Arj Barker's Biography: Chortle :The UK Comedy Guide". Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie (21 October 2004). "The Vine: NBC finds new 'Nirvana' lead". www.hollywoodreporter.com. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "HBO: Arj Barker as Dave: Flight of the Conchords".
- Ryan, Andrew (10 May 2010). "Conchords fly back for one last TV season". CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc. Archived from the original on 14 May 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- Rogan, Joe (February 2011). "The Joe Rogan Experience feat. Eddie Ifft; Podcast 77". Ustream.tv. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Arj and Poopy
- AtomFilms: Arj & Poopy series
- "Unlucky in Love". Annecy 2006: Award Winning Films. Annecy.org. Retrieved 2007-10-21.
- Official website
- Arj Barker on Myspace
- Arj Barker at the Internet Movie Database
- Arj Barker's Twitter Feed