||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
Kapoor promoting his debut movieIshaqzaade, 2012
|Born||Arjun Boney Kapoor
26 June 1985
Mona Shourie Kapoor
|Relatives||Surinder Kapoor (grandfather)
Anil Kapoor (uncle)
Sanjay Kapoor (uncle)
Sonam Kapoor (cousin)
Rhea Kapoor (cousin)
Anshula Kapoor (sister)
Arjun Kapoor (born 26 June 1985) is an Indian actor who appears in Hindi films. After taking on the role of assistant producer and assistant director in a few films, Kapoor made his acting debut in Habib Faisal's romantic drama Ishaqzaade.
Kapoor was born in Chembur, Mumbai to Indian film producer, Boney Kapoor and Mona Shourie Kapoor. He is the grandson of filmmaker Surinder Kapoor. He is the nephew of actors Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Kapoor and producer Sandeep Marwah, and the first-cousin of actress Sonam Kapoor and producer Rhea Kapoor. He has a sister – Anshula Kapoor. Prior to acting, Kapoor aspired to become a director.
Kapoor's first stint into the film industry was as an assistant director for Kal Ho Naa Ho in 2003. He then worked as an associate producer for No Entry (2005), which was followed by Wanted (2009). He was also an assistant director for Salaam-E-Ishq (2007)
Acting debut (2012)
Kapoor was originally supposed to debut with Y-Films’ Virus Diwan in 2011. However, that film was shelved and he was launched instead by Yash Raj Films in the Habib Faisal's romantic drama Ishaqzaade, where he was seen opposite Parineeti Chopra.
The film became a commercial success and earned positive critical reception. Upon grossing 455.2 million (US$7.0 million) nett approximately at the domestic box office in three weeks, it was declared a super hit by Box Office India.
Kapoor's performance in the film attracted critical appreciation, with Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama stating that "Arjun Kapoor makes a fantastic debut. He has a peerless body language and a 'I-don't-give-a-damn' kind of an approach in the movie. The youngster, with his untidy look and impish smile, has already won female reverence prior to the release of the film and after having watched him emote, you can confidently say that he's blessed to depict this rebellious character in his launch vehicle itself. He comes across as fiery and rustic and at the same time self-assured and assertive in this reckless and intrepid character." Komal Nahta wrote "Arjun Kapoor makes a fine debut as Parma. He emotes well, acts with a swagger and dances delightfully. He has a very good screen presence as well. Arjun and Parineeti’s on-screen chemistry and excellent performances are the highlights of the film." Anupama Chopra wrote of the chemistry of the lead actors, saying "Kapoor and Chopra are terrific as the explosive twosome." Kapoor's next release was Aurangzeb.
On 3 September 2012, Arjun made his ramp debut by walking for Shabana Azmi’s NGO, Mijwan Welfare Society's fashion show, Mijwan Sonnets in Fabric 2012, wearing designer Manish Malhotra's creations.
Arjun also walked the ramp on 23 March 2013 for designer Kunal Rawal's Summer/ Resort 2013 collection at Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai. He was the show-stopper and stole the show with his foot-tapping and unique entry on his uncle's famous song from the cult film Ram Lakhan.
Arjun has also hosted a segment for the Renault Star Guild Awards 2013 along with Kapoor's mentor and superstar Salman Khan. Kapoor also performed on stage at this award show. Most recently, Arjun was at the IIFA Rocks – 2013 award show night at Macau. Kapoor made a grand entry suspended mid-air and performed some of the most popular tunes of 2012, including his own songs from Ishaqzaade.
|2012||Ishaqzaade||Parma Chauhan||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut|
|2013||Aurangzeb||Ajay / Vishal|
|2014||2 States||Krish Malhotra||Filming|
|2014||Finding Fanny Fernandes||Post-production
English and Konkani language film
|2015||Hindi Remake of Mahesh Babu's Okkadu||Pre-production|
Awards and nominations
Arjun Kapoor at the Star Guild Awards, 2013
|2012||Ishaqzaade||Bhaskar Bollywood Awards||Fresh Entry of the Year||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Debut Actor (Male/Female)||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Male||Won|
|2013||Filmfare Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Male)||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Male||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Male Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Won|
|Renault Star Guild Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut – Male||Nominated|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA Awards)||Best Debut – Male||Nominated|
|—||6th GeoSpa asiaSpa India Awards||Wellness Icon of the Year||Won|
- 2012: GQ (Indian edition)'s 50 Best Dressed Men 2012 #46
- 2013: Times of India's Most Desirable Man of 2012 #27
- "Arjun Kapoor turns 28". 26 June 2013.
- Upadhyay, Karishma (9 May 2012). "A son rises". The Telegraph India. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Ishaqzaade going strong at the box office". Retrieved 27 January 2013
- "Ishaqzaade gets thumbs up from critics". Retrieved 27 January 2013
- "I am fortunate to work with Habib Faisal for Ishaqzaade: Arjun Kapoor – Entertainment – DNA". Daily News and Analysis. 11 May 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Ishaqzaade' scheduled to hit screens in May 2012". Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- . Boxofficeindia.com. 26 May 2012 http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=4497&nCat=. Retrieved 30 June 2012. Missing or empty
- Adarsh, Taran. "Ishaqzaade (2012) Movie Review". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Ishaqzaade Review". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- Chopra, Anupama. "Anupama Chopra's review: Ishaqzaade". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Gunday Official Release date". Yash Raj Films.
- "2 States Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama.
- Mahesh Babu's Okkadu being remade with Arjun Kapoor in lead – Oneindia Entertainment. Entertainment.oneindia.in (14 February 2013).
- Arjun Kapoor in Okkadu remake. BollywoodHungama.com (11 February 2013).
- "Boney Kapoor ropes in son Arjun for Okkadu remake".
- "Deepika Padukone and Arjun Kapoor team up for an English film".
- Apte, Rajas. (4 September 2012) Shabana's MIJWAN Fashion Show: Raining Bollywood Stars. Businessofcinema.com.
- Lakme Fashion Week 2013: Shahid Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor walk the ramp. ApunKaChoice.com (24 March 2013).
- Arjun Kapoor Steals the Show at IIFA Rocks 2013. Masala.com.
- "Arjun kapoor begins preparation for 'Okkadu' remake". Times of India. 2013-11-27. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Newcomers Nominations: Fresh Entry of the Year". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations".
- "Filmfare Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 / 2013 – Nominations". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Stardust Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Trivedi, Dhiren. "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?".
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations".
- "Hema, Malaika, Dia & Arjun win top honors at the asiaSpa India Awards". 2013-05-02.
- GQ Best dressed men 2012 – part 5| Anil Kapoor| Shahid Kapoor| Vir Das| Omar Abdulla| Virat Kohli. GQ India.
- Just Who Are India's Best Dressed Men?. Missmalini.com (1 June 2012).
- "Times Most Desirable Men 2012 – Results". ITimes.