Kapoor at a promotional event for 2 States, 2014
26 June 1985 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Actor, assistant director, associate producer|
|Parents||Boney Kapoor (Father)
Mona Shourie Kapoor (Mother)
|Relatives||See Kapoor family|
Arjun Kapoor (pronounced [ɐrˈɟun kəˈpuːr]; born 26 June 1985) is an Indian actor who appears in Bollywood films. He is the son of film producer Boney Kapoor. After working as an assistant director and associate producer on several films, Kapoor made his acting debut with Habib Faisal's romantic drama Ishaqzaade (2012) for which he was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut. In 2014, Kapoor starred in two commercially successful films—Gunday and 2 States—and earned generally positive reviews for his performances in them.
Early life and background
Kapoor was born on 26 June 1985 in Chembur, Mumbai to the Hindi film producer, Boney Kapoor and the entrepreneur Mona Shourie Kapoor. He is the grandson of filmmaker Surinder Kapoor. He is the nephew of actors Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Kapoor and producer Sandeep Marwah, and the first-cousin of actress Sonam Kapoor, actor Mohit Marwah and producer Rhea Kapoor. He has a sister Anshula Kapoor. The actress Sridevi is his stepmother. When asked in an interview about his father's second marriage, Kapoor said: "When we were kids, it was difficult. But what can you do? How long will you complain? You have to accept what is, take it on your chin, and move on."
Kapoor was educated at the Arya Vidya Mandir school in Chembur, which he attended till his twelfth grade. After failing his twelfth grade examinations, he quit his studies. In his teens and early twenties, Kapoor suffered from obesity and approximately weighed 140kg; he later said that due to his condition, he used to be "sloppy, grumpy" and "under-confident". At the age of 18, Kapoor began a romantic relationship with Arpita Khan, the sister of actor Salman Khan. They broke up after two years.
Kapoor's first job in the film industry was as an assistant director on Nikhil Advani's Kal Ho Naa Ho in 2003. He also assisted Advani on his next directorial Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love (2007), and worked as an associate producer on two of his father's productions—No Entry (2005) and Wanted (2009). Kapoor was then signed a three-film contract with Yash Raj Films, a leading production company in India.
Kapoor made his acting debut in 2012 with Habib Faisal's crime drama Ishaqzaade opposite Parineeti Chopra, a critical and commercial success. Kapoor's role was that of Parma Chauhan, a chauvinistic brat who rapes the daughter of a rival political party, only to fall in love with her later. Taran Adarsh of the entertainment portal Bollywood Hungama wrote of his performance: "Arjun Kapoor makes a fantastic debut. He has a peerless body language and a 'I-don't-give-a-damn' kind of an approach in the movie. He comes across as fiery and rustic and at the same time self-assured and assertive in this reckless and intrepid character". Kapoor then portrayed dual roles in Atul Sabharwal's crime thriller Aurangzeb (2013), a commercial failure. Critic Rohit Vats of CNN-IBN said that Kapoor was successful in "conveying the cynicism of his role" but criticised his "over-the-top" approach in certain sequences.
In 2014, Kapoor's first two releases were highly successful. He first played opposite Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra in Gunday, an action thriller from director Ali Abbas Zafar. The film tells the fictional story of two coal bandits (played by Kapoor and Singh) who rise up to become the most powerful goons of Calcutta in the 1980s. Writing for India Today, Rohit Khilnani attributed the success of the film to the chemistry between Kapoor and Singh. With a worldwide revenue of over 1 billion (US$16 million), Gunday proved to be a box-office success. After portraying roles in three consecutive crime films, Kapoor featured in the romantic comedy 2 States alongside Alia Bhatt. The film was an adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's novel of the same name, and narrated the story of two IIM Ahmedabad students who encounter trouble in convincing their parents to approve of their relationship. Critic Sarita Tanwar of Daily News and Analysis reviewed that "Arjun, who doubles as a narrator impresses with a role totally unlike anything he has done before". Kusumita Das of the Deccan Chronicle added that he "gets to show his range as an actor as his character is deftly explored as the son, the lover and the prospective son-in-law. The actor leaves an impact as a devoted son to his mother and an estranged one to his father." The film emerged as a major commercial success, earning over 1 billion (US$16 million) in domestic ticket sales.
Kapoor's third film release of 2014 was Homi Adajania's satirical English language film Finding Fanny, alongside Deepika Padukone, Naseeruddin Shah, Dimple Kapadia and Pankaj Kapur. Set in Goa, the film tells the story of five dysfunctional friends who set out on a road trip in search of a woman named Fanny. The film met with critical acclaim; writing for Mid Day, critic Shubha-Shetty Saha cited Kapoor's portrayal as his best performance to date, adding that he "plays his 'boy lost in the woods' character with surprising ease and competence".
As of November 2014, Kapoor has completed work on the action drama Tevar, a remake of the Telugu film Okkadu (2003), opposite Sonakshi Sinha. He has also committed to star in an upcoming film adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's novel Revolution 2020.
As an actor
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2014||2 States||Krish Malhotra|
|2014||Finding Fanny||Savio Da Gama||English language film|
As a crew member
|2003||Kal Ho Naa Ho||Assistant director|
|2005||No Entry||Associate producer|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love||Assistant director|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Ishaqzaade||Bhaskar Bollywood Awards||Fresh Entry of the Year||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Debut Actor (Male/Female)||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Male||Won|
|2013||Bollywood Hungama Surfers' Choice Movie Awards||Best Debutant (Male)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Male)||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Male||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Male Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Won|
|Renault Star Guild Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut – Male||Nominated|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA Awards)||Best Debut – Male||Nominated|
|–||6th GeoSpa asiaSpa India Awards||Wellness Icon of the Year||Won|
|Aurangzeb||Bhaskar Bollywood Awards||Action Hero of the Year||Pending|
- Gupta, Priya (9 April 2014). "Last call my mother made was to Salman bhai: Arjun Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor turns 28". 26 June 2013.
- "In pics: The Boney-Anil-Sanjay Kapoor Family Tree". CNN. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Nooshian, Tinaz (22 April 2012). "Dad's second marriage tough on us as kids: Arjun Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor reveals his fat pictures for the first time ever!". India Today. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Five things you should know about Arjun Kapoor". India Today. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "I am fortunate to work with Habib Faisal for Ishaqzaade: Arjun Kapoor – Entertainment". Daily News and Analysis. 11 May 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Rowdy Rathore Bumper Opening in Single Screens Good at Multiplexes". Box Office India. 26 May 2012. Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Adarh, Taran. "Ishaqzaade". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Vats, Rohit (17 May 2013). "'Aurangzeb' review: The cruel persuasion of money and power". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor: Rising from 'Ishaqzaade' to 'Gunday'". The Times of India. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Khilnani, Rohit (14 February 2014). "Movie review: Gunday is old wine in a new bottle, it tastes awesome!". India Today. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Seshagiri, Sangeetha (23 February 2014). "'Gunday' Box Office Collection: Ranveer-Arjun Starrer Grosses 100 Crore Worldwide". International Business Times. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Tanwar, Sarita. "Film review: Two states starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor is realistic and fresh". DNA. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Das, Kusumita. "Movie review '2 States': For those expecting to see a love story, this is not one". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Kaanchi and Revolver Rani Dull 2 States SUPER HIT With Solid Eighth Day". Box Office India. 26 April 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Mobhhani, Suleman. "Bollywood's 100 Crore club". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Deepika Padukone and Arjun Kapoor team up for an English film". The Times of India. 10 May 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Mehta, Ankita (10 September 2014). "'Finding Fanny' Movie Review: Must Watch Film with Brilliant Performances". International Business Times. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- Saha, Shubha-Shetty (12 September 2014). "Movie Review: Finding Fanny". Mid Day. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Talreja, Vinod (17 October 2014). "Arjun Kapoor designs poster of his film 'Tevar'". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor in adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's Revolution 2020". Bollywood Hungama. 4 August 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Newcomers Nominations: Fresh Entry of the Year". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations".
- "Bollywood Hungama Movie Awards 2012 Nominees". Retrieved 17 May 2013
- "Filmfare Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 / 2013 – Nominations". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Stardust Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Trivedi, Dhiren. "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?".
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations".
- "Hema, Malaika, Dia & Arjun win top honors at the asiaSpa India Awards". 2 May 2013.
- "Dainik Bhaskar Bollywood Web Awards 2013". Retrieved 1 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arjun Kapoor.|