Arkansas Highway 124
|Maintained by AHTD|
|Existed:||1927 – present|
|Length:||72.17 mi (116.15 km)|
|West end:||Hwy. 7 – Russellville|
|East end:||Hwy. 36 – Rose Bud|
|Length:||9.17 mi (14.76 km)|
|West end:||Hwy. 110 – Pangburn|
|East end:||Hwy. 157 – Sunnydale|
Arkansas Highway 124 is a designation for two state highways in Central Arkansas. The western segment of 72.17 miles (116.15 km) runs from Russellville to Rose Bud. An eastern segment of 9.17 miles (14.76 km) runs east in White County from Pangburn to AR 157.
Russellville to Rose Bud
The route begins at AR 7 in Russellville and runs east across Interstate 40. It continues east to intersect AR 164 in Moreland and AR 105 in Caglesville before entering Conway County. AR 124 winds east and then south in Conway County before forming a concurrency with AR 95. The highway runs east to concur with AR 9 in Center Ridge, becoming AR 92/AR 124 until Springfield. AR 124 briefly enters Faulkner County, where AR 124 intersects and concurs with U.S. Route 65 for 2.2 miles (3.5 km). AR 124 enters Cleburne County and has many intersections in Quitman, including AR 25. The highway continues east into White County to AR 36 in Rose Bud, where it terminates. This route is entirely two-lane, and has an officially designated exception of 0.66 miles (1.06 km) over Arkansas Highway 25 in Cleburne County.
Pangburn to Sunnydale
AR 124 begins at AR 110 in Pangubrn and runs east. The highway in intersected by Arkansas Highway 305, and a short concurrency froms. The highway runs further east to intersect AR 157 in Sunnydale, where it terminates. It is entirely two lane undivided.
The route was added to the state highway system in 1927, a year after Arkansas first numbered its highways. The route ran from Russellville to Caglesville and was an unimproved road. The following year, AR 124 was extended to Arkansas Highway 95 in Conway County. At this time, AR 124 from Russellville to Caglesville was graded, but the extension was not. In 1933, the route was shortened, running only from Russellville to Appleton (entirely in Pope County). By 1926, the unimproved segment from Appleton to AR 95 was again added to AR 124. The routing remained unchanged until 1953, when the route was extended along its modern alignment.
Mile markers reset at concurrencies.
|Pope||Russellville||0.0||0.0||Hwy. 7 (Arkansas Ave)||western terminus|
|1.7||2.7||Hwy. 326 south (Weir Rd)||AR 326 northern terminus|
|Gum Log||6.7||10.8||Hwy. 326 west||AR 326 western terminus|
|0.8 miles (1.3 km) AR 105 concurrency north|
|0.0||0.0||Hwy. 105||AR 105 concurrency ends|
|Conway||Macedonia||15.0||24.1||Hwy. 213 south||AR 213 northern terminus|
|6.3 miles (10.1 km) AR 95 concurrency north|
|Mt. Zion||0.0||0.0||Hwy. 95||AR 95 concurrency ends|
|Center Ridge||11.0||17.7||Hwy. 9|
|Birdtown||7.5 miles (12.1 km) AR 9, AR 92 concurrency south|
|Springfield||0.0||0.0||Hwy. 92||AR 92 concurrency ends|
|Faulkner||Martinville||8.0||12.9||Hwy. 285 south||AR 285 northern terminus|
|2.2 miles (3.5 km) US 65 concurrency north|
|Van Buren||0.0||0.0||US 65||US 65 concurrency ends|
|Cleburne||Quitman||9.7||15.6||Hwy. 25 south (Heber Springs Rd)||AR 25 concurrency begins|
|10.1||16.3||Hwy. 356 north (Bee Branch Rd)||AR 356 southern terminus|
|10.3||16.6||Hwy. 25 north (Heber Springs Rd)||AR 25 concurrency ends|
|15.2||24.5||Hwy. 107 north||AR 107 southern terminus|
|White||Rose Bud||18.4||29.6||Hwy. 36 north||eastern terminus|
|AR 124 western segment ends, AR 124 eastern segment begins in Pangburn|
|White||Pangburn||0.0||0.0||Hwy. 110 (Arkansas Ave)||western terminus|
|Dewey||5.1||8.2||Hwy. 305 south|
|Little Red||6.5||10.5||Hwy. 305 north|
|Sunnydale||8.8||14.2||Hwy. 157||eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "[Arkansas] State Highways 2009 (Database)." April 2010. AHTD: Planning and Research Division. Database. Retrieved December 8, 2010.
- Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. General Highway Map - Pope County, Arkansas (Map) (6-6-06 ed.). http://www.arkansashighways.com/maps/Counties/County%20PDFs/PopeCounty.pdf. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. General Highway Map - White County, Arkansas (Map) (1/7/09 ed.). http://www.arkansashighways.com/maps/Counties/County%20PDFs/WhiteCounty.pdf. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. AHTD Conway County map Retrieved on March 27, 2010.
- "Faulkner County, Arkansas." Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. AHTD Faulkner County map Retrieved on December 8, 2010.
- "Van Buren County, Arkansas." Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. AHTD Van Buren County map Retrieved on December 8, 2010.
- "Cleburne County, Arkansas." Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. AHTD Cleburne County map Retrieved on December 8, 2010.
- "State Highway Route and Section Map - Cleburne County." Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Map. Retrieved November 29, 2010.
- [Arkansas] State Highway Department. Map of State of Arkansas showing State Highway System (Map) (1927 ed.). http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/1927.tif. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- [Arkansas] State Highway Department. Map of State of Arkansas showing System of State Highways (Map) (September 1, 1928 ed.). http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/1928.tif. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- [Arkansas] State Highway Commission. Highway Service Map (Map). http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/1933.tif. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Arkansas State Highway Commission. Official Highway Map of Arkansas (Map). http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/1953.tif. Retrieved March 21, 2011.