Arlington Public Schools
|Arlington Public Schools|
|1426 N Quincy St
Arlington, Virginia, 22207
|Type||Public, school division|
|School board||James Lander, Chairman
Emma Violand-Sanchez, Vice Chairman
Nancy Van Doren
|School district||Arlington County|
Arlington Public Schools is a public school division in Arlington County, Virginia. In 2010, there were 19,903 students, up from 18,715 a year earlier. In 2010, the students had come from more than 120 countries. There were 2,166 teachers.
In fiscal year 2009, Arlington transferred $350.1 million to the public school system. Less than 20% of school funding comes from sources outside Arlington.
Hoffman-Boston was started in 1916 as a segregated black school. Schools started to be integrated in 1959. To avoid conflict, this was normally done at the younger grade levels first. Hoffman-Boston was integrated and is still in use today.
- Abingdon Elementary School
- Arlington Science Focus Elementary School
- Arlington Traditional School
- Ashlawn Elementary School
- Barcroft Elementary School
- Barrett Elementary School
- Campbell Elementary School
- Carlin Springs Elementary School
- Claremont Immersion Elementary School
- Drew Model School
- Glebe Elementary School
- Hoffman-Boston Elementary School
- Jamestown Elementary School
- Key Immersion Elementary School
- Long Branch Elementary School
- McKinley Elementary School
- Nottingham Elementary School
- Oakridge Elementary School
- Patrick Henry Elementary School
- Randolph Elementary School
- Taylor Elementary School
- Tuckahoe Elementary School
- Swanson Middle School
- Williamsburg Middle School
- Kenmore Middle School
- Jefferson Middle School
- Gunston Middle School
- H-B Woodlawn
- Langston High School Continuation Program
- New Directions
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
In 2009, the student body was 48% white, 26% Latino, 13% black and 11% Asian.
David M. Brown Planetarium
The David M. Brown Planetarium is operated by Arlington Schools Planetarium for both Arlington school field trips and public multimedia programs. It offers shows for the general public Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays during the school year.
- McCaffrey, Scott (16 September 2010). "Nearly 20,000 back in class, up 6.3% from 2009". Arlington, Virginia: Sun Gazette. p. 1.
- "If you have questions about Arlington, we have answers". Arlington, Virginia: Arlington Sun Gazette. 23 September 2010. p. 25.
- McCaffrey, Scott (16 September 2010). "Despite efforts, white teachers are still majority of new hires". Arlington, Virginia: Arlington Sun Gazette. p. 7.
- "Where to Educate Your Children". Forbes. 12 December 2007. Archived from the original on 29 June 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- Arlington Budget
- McCaffrey, Scott (23 September 2010). "97-year-old former principal takes center stage at reunion". Arlington, Virginia: Arlington Sun Gazette. p. 3.
- Other Contributing Buildings, Fairlington Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
- "David M. Brown Planetarium FAQs". Arlington County Public Schools. 10/12/2012. Retrieved 2 February 2013. Check date values in: