|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Industry||freestyle skis, clothing|
|Headquarters||Costa Mesa, California|
Armada is a manufacturer of skis, poles, technical outerwear and skiing-related softgoods, based in Costa Mesa, California with a European office in Innsbruck, Austria. The company's products are sold in over forty countries worldwide through wholly owned subsidiaries and distributors.
Armada was founded in 2002 by a group of professional skiers and the ski and snowboard photographer Chris O'Connell, with backing from British venture capitalists. Its founding team of owner-riders consisted of Tanner Hall, JP Auclair, JF Cusson, Julien Regnier, and Boyd Easley. They launched with 2 freestyle skis, the AR5 and ARV.
Armada bills itself as skiing's first rider-owned, rider-operated manufacturer. It works closely with ski professionals, who design their own products and are rewarded with equity in the company. Armada is known to the general public largely due to its association with multiple-time Winter X Games champion Tanner Hall, who is a founding team rider. In addition, Armada is credited with helping to shift mainstream perception of skiing in a younger, more dynamic direction through its unusual graphics and savvy marketing. It operates online stores in the US, Canada, France, and Germany. In 2011 it announced a partnership with fabric makers Gore.
Products for the 2013/2014 season include skis, poles, apparel and accessories. The ski includes lineup includes for men the Halo2, THall, AR7, AlphaX, PC, Aldente, El Rey, Triumph, ARVTi, TST, JJ, Norwalk, AK JJ, Magic J, and Bubba. Women's skis include the ARW, Cantika, Tryst, ARVw, TSTw and VJJ. Children's skis include the Bantam, Kirti, Coda, Makai, Tantrum and Triple J. The JJ is claimed as being "the first all-mountain powder ski with rocker".
- "Company", Armada Skis website
- "Business Is Taking Off", Sports Illustrated, December 6, 2004
- "Armada Skis: The Pipe Cleaner brings pro level performance to the masses". Ski Channel website. August 12, 2010.
- "Nouveautés Skis ARMADA 2013". Skieur.com. Feb 7, 2012.
- "School of hard knocks, Skier Tanner Hall has taken a unique path to success". Gazette, The (Colorado Springs, CO). January 25, 2007.
- Higgs, Philip, "The Jolt of Spray Paint on Snow", New York Times, November 10th 2005].
- Knowles, Lori (December 8, 2008). "Armada Skis Opens Online Store for Canada". Ski Press World.
- Lampert, Henrik (November 17, 2011). "Armada teams up with Gore for 2012". Free Skier.
- "Armada Skis". Armada Skis. Jan 15, 2013.
- "Armada JJ: Two Skis in One Quiver". The Ski Channel website. June 1, 2009.
|This article about a corporation or company involved in entertainment, leisure, sports and/or tourism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|