Army general (East Germany)
Army general (German: Armeegeneral) was a senior military rank of East Germany, used until 1990. It was the equivalent of a four-star rank in NATO-nations and ranked below the Marschall der DDR ("marshal of the German Democratic Republic"), although no one was ever promoted to the latter rank.
East German officers who achieved the rank of Armeegeneral were:
- 1959 Willi Stoph (NVA)
- 1961 Heinz Hoffmann (NVA)
- 1980 Erich Mielke (MfS)
- 1984 Friedrich Dickel (MdI)
- 1985 Heinz Keßler (NVA)
Army general in other countries
This four-star rank OF-9 was largely used in other armed forces of the former Warsaw Pact countries. Some examples are described below.
- Bulgaria: Армейски генерал (Armeyski general)
- Czechoslovakia: Armádní generál
- Hungary: Hadseregtábornok
- Poland: Generał armii
- Romania: General de armată
- Soviet Union: Генерал армии (General armii)