|Single by Christina Perri|
|from the album Lovestrong|
|Released||March 15, 2011|
|Genre||Pop, alternative rock, folk|
|Length||4:21 (album version)
4:00 (radio edit)
|Christina Perri singles chronology|
"Arms" is a song by American singer-songwriter Christina Perri. The song was written by Perri herself, and serves as the second single from her debut album Lovestrong (2011). The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 94 but has failed to chart any higher. The song's accompanying music video debuted on April 28, 2011 on VH1.
"Arms" was written by Perri with musical arrangements from J. Barrera. The song was released onto iTunes March 15, 2011 and was additionally released in a karaoke form, the same day as the single release.
Like previous single "Jar of Hearts", "Arms" is built around a piano melody. Although the song "packs a little less venom" than Perri's lead single, it still lyrically contains the "crazy" lovesick emotions typically referred to Perri's style of music. The song begins as a slow love song and transgresses into an up-tempo track as kick-drums enter the song midway through. Lyrically, Perri begins the song in a happy tune, singing "I never thought that you would be the one to hold my heart / You came around and you knocked me off the ground from the start." More into the song, Perri begins to question the relationship, ultimately finding comfort as she ends the song repeating the hook. "Arms" progresses from a folky ballad to a nicely paced melodic love song, incorporating timpani drums.
Perri described the song in depth, stating "'Arms' is about the fight between your heart and your mind. Your heart wants to be loved but your head is always telling you reasons not to be with him or her, or how you are not worth the love. It's about the struggle and finally giving in when you're wrapped in their arms. Then you get it. Then you feel loved and love wins."
"Arms" garnered generally positive reviews by critics, most of which favored the change in pace for Perri, who took a happier pace with the song. On the day of the songs premier, AOL Music compared the song to that of Ingrid Michaelson and Natalie Merchant. While reviewing the album, Kyle Anderson of Entertainment Weekly listed "Arms" as a mandatory download from the album, calling it "chimming". A.D. Amorosi of The Philadelphia Inquirer enjoyed Perri's hushed voice and changing backup spare arrangement on "Arms". Stating that the song is filled with "dusty gallop of guitar and jangling piano", Chad Grischow of IGN stated that the song pushes Perri innocent and melodic vocals which makes for one of the better love songs off Lovestrong.
Perri revealed on her blog that an "epic music video" is coming soon. The music video for the single was shot over a two-day period that Perri described as "a two-day shoot that kicked my ass so hard." Perri had co-written the video treatment herself. Speaking of the concept of the video, Perri stated that she took a physical pummeling as she played a super-hero during the shoot, where she jokingly added "I don’t know why I think I’m an action hero." For the flying scenes, she was involved in weeks of training. The song music video premiered on VH1 on April 28, 2011. The video then appeared all weekend on VH1's "Top 20 Countdown", April 30, May 1 and May 3. The video was added to Perri's official YouTube account the day following the videos official release.
Synopsis and reception
The video begins with Perri lying down in a bed with her boyfriend (played by actor and model, John Andersson) as she sings the words of the song looking directly into the camera. As the camera zooms out, it shows that the bed is located in a mountain meadow. As Perri closes her eyes to sleep, the video then begins to take on a dream-sequence theme. In her dream, Perri is being carried away in her bed sheets over a body of water where she is dropped. Scenes of Perri bothered as she sleeps are interlaced into the video as it continues. As Perri continues to dream, she emerges from the water into a stormy night and is pulled onto a boat by two unknown men who begin to play instruments to the song's beat. As Perri performs on the boat, a cluster of black balloons wrap a black ribbon around Perri's arm, and carry her away into the sky over London and then over an open field. As Perri approaches the open field, she frees herself from the balloons' ribbon and falls safely onto a BMW Mini. Perri then drives the Mini back to the location of her bed and runs into the arms of her boyfriend who is played by actor and model, John Andersson as part of the music video's ending.
VH1 stated that conceptually, the video is a "winner", adding that the most enjoyable parts of the video are the vocal close-ups, which allow Perri to sing her song. However, VH1 dismissed the rain sequence of the video as Perri is rescued onto the boat as "particularly necessary", but later complimented the addition of the band as they communicate the song’s emotions powerfully.
Perri revealed a lyric music video for the single as well, released on March 15, 2011. The video was directed by Elliot Sellers, who additionally made lyric videos for others songs release by Perri. The video took over 3,000 photos to make. The entire video is shot behind an old fashioned projector, were the songs lyrics are projected upon a blank tent-side.
|Israel (Media Forest)||7|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||194|
|US Billboard Hot 100||94|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||29|
|US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard)||13|
- "Arms (Official Karaoke Version) - Single by Christina Perri - Download Arms (Official Karaoke Version) - Single on iTunes". itunes.apple.com. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- "Arms". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- Posted on Mar 29th 2011 5:25PM by Scott Shetler (2011-03-29). "Christina Perri, 'Arms' - New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- by Jayvee. "Music Video: Christina Perri’s "Arms" | The Round Table". Theroundtableonline.com. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- "Christina Perri, 'Arms (Official Lyric Video)' - Exclusive - AOL Music Blog". Blog.music.aol.com. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- Reviewed by Kyle Anderson (2011-05-04). "lovestrong review - Christina Perri | Music | EW.com | Music". EW.com. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- By A.D. Amorosi (2011-04-25). "Heartwarming home opener for Perri | Philadelphia Inquirer | 04/25/2011". Philly.com. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- by Chad Grischow. "Christina Perri: lovestrong. Review - Music Review at IGN". Music.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Christina Perri talks "action hero" Arms video, wants to be Superman : Beatweek Magazine". Beatweek.com. 2011-04-04. Archived from the original on 23 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- ""Arms" Music Video Debuts On VH1! - Blog Detail". ChristinaPerri.com. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- "Watch: Christina Perri - Arms (Official Music Video) - Blog Detail". ChristinaPerri.com. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- Jason Derulo: Posted (2011-04-28). "Video Premiere: Christina Perri, "Arms" | Vh1 Blog". Blog.vh1.com. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- ""Arms" Available Today + Official Lyric Video On AOL! - Blog Detail". ChristinaPerri.com. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- "Christina Perri – Arms Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-09-25" UK Singles Chart.
- "Christina Perri - Arms - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Christina Perri Album & Song Chart History - Billboard". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- "Chart Highlights: Pop, Dance/Club Play Songs & More". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. July 23, 2011. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2011.