Arms Control and Disarmament Act of 1961
|Long title||An Act to establish a United States Arms Control and Disarmament Agency.|
|Nicknames||Arms Control and Disarmament Act|
|Enacted by||the 87th United States Congress|
|Effective||September 26, 1961|
|Statutes at Large||75 Stat. 631|
|Titles amended||22 U.S.C.: Foreign Relations and Intercourse|
|U.S.C. sections created||22 U.S.C. ch. 35 § 2551|
The Arms Control and Disarmament Act of 1961, 22 U.S.C. § 2551, was created to establish a governing body for the control and reduction of apocalyptic armaments with regards to protect a world from the burdens of armaments and the scourge of war. The Act provided an important aspect for the Kennedy Administration's foreign policy which was coherent with the United States national security policy.
Provisions of the Act
The Arms Control and Disarmament Act established the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (ACDA). The U.S. federal organization developed the formulation and implementation of the United States arms control and disarmament policy. The agency provided information and recommendations with regards to U.S. economic, foreign, and national security policies to executive and legislative officials of the United States government.
The Act established several core functions for the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency;
- Conduct, coordinate, and support the research of the formulation for the arms control and disarmament policy.
- Management and preparation of the United States participation in international negotiations for the arms control and disarmament peace process.
- Coordination and dissemination of United States public information concerning arms control and disarmament policy.
- Operation and preparation, as appropriate, for the United States participation in control systems of domestic and international arms control and disarmament activities.
- Atomic Energy Act
- Foreign Military Sales Act of 1968
- Manhattan Project
- Nuclear arms race
- Nuclear disarmament
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act of 1978
- Peters,Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "John F. Kennedy: "Remarks in New York City Upon Signing Bill Establishing the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency.," September 26, 1961". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Trip to New York City: Bill signing - HR 9118 Public Law 87-297, Arms Control and Disarmament Act, 11:30AM". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
- "Arms Control and International Security". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 21 September 2013.