Arnab Goswami at WikiConference India 2011
|Native name||অৰ্নৱ গোস্বামী|
9 October 1973 [|
|Education||Hindu College, University of Delhi
St. Antony’s College, Oxford
|Occupation||News Anchor and Editor in Chief of Times Now|
|Years active||1998 – present|
|Notable credit(s)||The Newshour,
Frankly Speaking with Arnab
|Television||The Newshour, Times Now|
Arnab Goswami is an Indian journalist who is the Editor-in-Chief and News anchor of the Indian news channel Times Now. The Newshour, a live debate anchored by him, is aired at 9 pm (IST) weekdays on Times Now. He also hosts a special television program Frankly Speaking with Arnab, which has featured eminent personalities. He is a recipient of a number of awards for his journalistic abilities and has also written a book named Combating Terrorism: The Legal Challenge.
Early life and education
Goswami was born in Guwahati, Assam on 9 October 1973.[verification needed] He comes from a family of eminent jurists. His paternal grandfather, Rajani Kanta Goswami, was a lawyer, a Congress leader and an independence activist. His maternal grandfather, Gauri Sankar Bhattacharya, was a leader of the opposition in Assam for many years. He was a writer and a recipient of the Asam Sahitya Sabha Award. Arnab Goswami's father is colonel Manoranjan and his mother is Suprabha. Manoranjan has been a BJP member and contested the 1998 Lok Sabha Polls as the BJP candidate for the Guwahati Lok Sabha seat in Assam where he was defeated by Bhubaneshwar Kalita. As an army officer's son, he attended schools in various cities. He passed his 10th Standard board examinations from Mount St. Mary's School in Delhi Cantonment, his 12th Standard board exams from Kendriya Vidyalaya in Jabalpur Cantonment. He graduated in Sociology from Hindu College and completed his Master's degree in Social Anthropology from Oxford University (St. Antony’s College, 1994) where he was a Felix Scholar. In 2000, he was a visiting fellow at the International Studies Department at Cambridge University (Sidney Sussex College) where he was a D C Pavate fellow.
Goswami began his career in TV news broadcast with NDTV 24x7 in 1995, where he anchored daily newscasts, and reporting for News Tonight a programme telecast on DD Metro. Later as the news editor, he was part of NDTV’s core team during the transition from programme producer to the 24-hour mode in 1998. He hosted the Newshour show every weeknight. Newshour was the longest running news analysis shown on any channel (1998-2003). As a Senior Editor with NDTV 24x7, he was responsible for the overall editorial content of the channel. He hosted one of the channel’s top rated news analysis show Newsnight, which won him an award for the Best News Anchor of Asia 2004 in the 2004 Asian Television Awards.
Goswami is the Editor-in-chief and news anchor of the Times Now news channel since 2006. His show The Newshour is aired at 9 pm with live news coverage, which has featured notable personalities like Parvez Musharraf and Rahul Bajaj. His notable accomplishments include stepping up with the 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings, interviewing over 200 politicians and analysts during the Trust Vote in October 2008 within a span of 26 hours of live anchoring and hosting the 26/11 Mumbai Terror attacks for over 65 hours. He also hosts a special programme Frankly Speaking with Arnab, which has featured eminent personalities such as Benazir Bhutto, former UK Prime Minister – Gordon Brown, Afghanistan President – Hamid Karzai, retired head of state of the Tibetan Government in Exile Dalai Lama, US Secretary of State – Hillary Clinton, Sachin Tendulkar, Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Narendra Modi and a host of prominent Indian personalities from politics, sports, films, and the corporate world. He has also written a book named Combating Terrorism: The Legal Challenge.
- 2003 - Asian Television Award for Best Presenter or Anchor (Runner up)
- 2007 - Society Young Achievers Award for excellence in the field of Media
- 2008 - Indian News Broadcasting Awards(INBA Award) for Innovative Editor-in-Chief
- 2010 - Assamese of the Year Award by News Live
- 2010 - Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism (TV) by the Indian Express Group.
- 2012 - ENBA Awards for News Television Editor-in-Chief of the Year
- Arundhati Roy. "Arundhati Roy: Mumbai was not India's 9/11 | World news". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Television news will dominate 50% of the revenues: Arnab Goswami". Exchange4media.com. 2014-01-22. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- TNN Jan 27, 2014, 10.20PM IST (2014-01-27). "Rahul Gandhi's first interview: Full text - Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "The Gandhi-Goswami Smackdown - India Real Time - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Award to Arnab Goswami". The Assam Tribune (Guwahati). January 18, 2010. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- "Arnab Goswami". mediamughals.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "The Soil Beckons". outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Books Released". The Sentinel (Guwahati). February 18, 2014.
- "BJP finally a force to reckon with in Assam". The Indian Express (Guwahati). March 6, 1998.
- "Mr. Arnab Goswami Editor-in-Chief, Times Now". edvancelearning.com. Archived from the original on 10 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "NEW DELHI TELEVISION LIMITED". sebi.gov.in. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Diversity in programming is crucial to NDTV". afaqs.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "DETAILED COVERAGE: TRANSCRIPT". onthemedia.org. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Excl: Musharraf says ISI did not hide Osama - 2". timesnow.tv. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Bearing witness to events affects the course of conflict". rotary.org. Archived from the original on 28 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Arnab Goswami receives Society Young Achievers award". indiantelevision.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "UK stance on Pak elections ‘very clear’: Brown". dailytimes.com.pk. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Mullah Omar is I Pakistan, says Karzai". hvk.org. Retrieved 2011-08-04.[dead link]
- "Thukchuk Lachungpa on Karmapa controversy-II". isikkim.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Townterview Hosted by Arnab Goswami of Frankly Speaking on Times Now at St. Xavier College". state.gov. Archived from the original on 12 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Frankly Speaking with Sachin Tendulkar". The Times of India.
- "Frankly Speaking with Rahul Gandhi". The Times of India. 27 January 2014.
- "Frankly Speaking with Narendra Modi". The Times of India. 8 May 2014.
- "Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism". The Indian Express. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "And the awards go to...". The Indian Express. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "ENBA 2012: NDTV sweeps awards; Times Now is News Channel of the Year". exchange4media.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arnab Goswami.|