Arne Birkenstock was born in Huettental, Germany and was raised in Cologne, Germany. Birkenstock studied economy, political Science, History of Latin America and Romance Languages in Cologne, Germany, Buenos Aires, Argentina and Córdoba, Argentina and received a Master's degree in Latin American Studies.
Birkenstock published several studies and non-fiction books on Latin American music and on arts and media policy for German publishing houses and governmental institutions. He has written, directed and produced several feature length documentary films. In 2011 und 2014 he was awarded with the German Film Academy Award LOLA.
- 12 Tangos - Adios Buenos Aires - Cinema documentary on several dancers who emigrate from Buenos Aires. The film features an All Star Tango Orchestra with some of the most famous argentinian musicians such as Juan José "Pepe" Libertella, Lidia Borda and others. 86 min, 2005. It was shown in German theatres and broadcast in ARTE and other TV channels worldwide.
- Chandani - The daughter of the elephant whisperer - Cinema Documentary about a young girl who wants to become a Mahout in Sri Lanka 90 min, 2010
- Sound of Heimat - Cinema Documentary about Folk music from Germany. 90 min, starts in theatres in September 2012
- Beltracchi - The Art of Forgery – Cinema Documentary about Wolfgang Beltracchi and the biggest Art Forgery scandal in post war Germany, 90 min., in production. The film will be distributed worldwide by Global Screen.
- The Moscow Trials. Cinema Documentary and theatre event by Milo Rau, who assembled the protagonists of the trials about pussy riot and two art exhibits in a staged court house in moscow in March 2013.
- "The Night of the Nights" - Cinema Documentary of Yasemin Şamdereli and Nesrin Şamdereli about four couples in Germany, Turkey, Argentina and the USA who have been married for 60 and more years and had a "real" wedding night.
- 7000 KM from Home – TV documentary series about German foreign exchange students in China, 4 x 30 min., 2008
The theatrical documentary Chandani - The daughter of the elephant whisperer was awarded with the German Film Award as best Children's Feature and as Best Documentary at the Chicago International Children's Film Festival.
The documentary "Beltracchi - The Art of Forgery" was awarded 2014 with the German film academy award "Lola" as "best documentary".
- Birkenstock‘s english profile at Crew United
- Birkenstock among the members
- Homepage of the German Documentary Association (AG DOK)
- German Films on 12 Tangos
- Review and Interview on Tangotales
- 12 Tangos at ARTE TV
- German Films on Chandani
- Emma Hartley‘s Blog on Birkenstock‘s documentary Sound of Heimat
- 45' TV-Interview with Hayden Chisholm at "Insight Germany" (DW TV) about Sound of Heimat
- Die Welt on Arne Birkenstock shooting a film with Beltracchi
- Vanity Fair on the Beltracchi case
- Hollywood Reporter on Global Screen distributing Arne Birkenstock‘s new Documentary
-  The New York Times on Milo Raus documentary play and film "The Moscow Trials"]
-  Fruitmarket produces new Şamdereli-Film
-  7000KM is a finalist at New York Festival
- Die Welt on Arne Birkenstock winning the German Film Award Lola
- Chandani at Chicago International Children's Film Festival
- Hollywood Reporter on German film award nominees
- Screen Daily on the Long List for the German Film Awards 2013