Arne Dagfin Dahl
|Arne Dagfin Dahl|
24 May 1894|
|Died||26 October 1990
|Place of burial||Vestre gravlund, Oslo|
|Years of service||1912–1956|
|Rank||Generalmajor (Major General)|
St. Olav's Medal With Oak Branch
First World War 
During the First World War, Dahl was the Norwegian military attaché to the United Kingdom and Belgium. In connection with this assignment Dahl spent time at the front lines as an observer. According to a report on the Alta Battalion by the Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services, Dahl saw action during his time at the front, fighting in a British unit at the Battle of the Somme in 1916.
Second World War 
Dahl assumed command of the Alta Battalion in 1939 and led it through the 1940 Norwegian Campaign. He has since been considered perhaps the best Norwegian battalion commander during the fighting at Narvik.
Finnmark command 
Dahl was given the task of commanding the Norwegian forces that were transferred to, as well as those raised in, the recently liberated Norwegian county of Finnmark from November 1944. At the time of the German capitulation in Norway on 8 May 1945 Dahl had under his Finnmark command around 3,000 soldiers. Although involved in very little fighting, the force under Dahl's command was heavily involved in helping the civilian population of Finnmark and served as a symbol of Norwegian sovereignty in the area. Dahl on his part was concerned that the Russian forces which had been stationed in Eastern Finnmark since the October 1944 Petsamo-Kirkenes Operation might not leave after war's end. These concerns turned out not to come true as all the Soviet forces left Norwegian territory by August–September 1945.
Post-war service 
- Gjems-Onstad 1996: 201
- Arne Solli (October 31, 1990). "Obituary Arne Dagfin Dahl". Aftenposten, morning edition (Oslo, Norway: Aftenposten). p. 13. More than one of
- Eriksen, Knut Einar (1995). "Dahl, Arne Dagfin". In Dahl, Hans Fredrik. Norsk krigsleksikon 1940-45 (in Norwegian). Oslo: Cappelen. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "Tidsperiode Dahl". Tysklandsbrigaden - Veteranforeining for Voss og Omland (in Norwegian). Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- Mjøen 1990: 51
- "Alta bataljon: 2 Alta bataljons deltagelse i felttoget på Narvikfronten 1940". Ministry of Health and Care Services (Norway) (in Norwegian). 1998. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- Borgersrud, Lars (1995). "Alta Bataljon". In Dahl, Hans Fredrik. Norsk krigsleksikon 1940–45 (in Norwegian). Oslo: Cappelen. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- Karle Henrik Eriksen (26 June 2006). "Kampen om Narvik: Landgangen". Kristiansten Fortress home page (in Norwegian). Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- Eriksen, Knut Einar (1995). "frigjøringen av Finnmark". In Dahl, Hans Fredrik. Norsk krigsleksikon 1940–45 (in Norwegian). Oslo: Cappelen. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "Meny Brigadebok". Tysklandsbrigaden - Veteranforeining for Voss og Omland (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 17 December 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- Gjems-Onstad, Erik (1996). Krigskorset og St. Olavsmedaljen med ekegren (in Norwegian). Grøndahl Dreyer. ISBN 82-504-2190-6.
- Mjøen, Jarle (1990). Minneskrift over Alta bataljons innsats ved krigsutbruddet 1940: 9. april 1940 - 9. april 1990 (in Norwegian). Alta Battalion.