Arnold Keppel, 8th Earl of Albemarle
Arnold Allan Cecil Keppel, 8th Earl of Albemarle GCVO, CB, VD, TD, JP, OWL (1 June 1858 – 12 April 1942), known as Viscount Bury from 1891 to 1894, was a British soldier, courtier and Conservative politician.
Life, military and politics
Albemarle was the eldest son of William Keppel, 7th Earl of Albemarle, and his wife Sophia Mary, daughter of Sir Allan Napier McNab, 1st Baronet, a Canadian politician, and was educated at Eton College. He served with the Scots Guards, achieving the rank of Lieutenant. In 1892 he was returned to Parliament for Birkenhead, a seat he held until 1894 when he succeeded his father in the earldom and took his seat in the House of Lords. Albemarle commanded the Prince of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles with the rank of Colonel from 1892 to 1901 and fought in the Second Boer War as a Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the Infantry Battalion of the City Imperial Volunteers, where he was mentioned in despatches and won a medal with four clasps. Albemarle was also an Honorary Colonel in the 5th Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment and a Brigadier-General from 1901 to 1906 in the Norfolk Volunteer Infantry Brigade and was awarded the Territorial Decoration.
He was an Aide-de-Camp to both Edward VII and George V, and was appointed a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) in July 1901, advanced to a Knight Commander (KCVO) of the same Order in 1909, and promoted to a Grand Cross (GCVO) in the order in 1931. He had been appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in 1900.
Lord Albemarle married Lady Gertrude Lucia (1861–1943), daughter of Wilbraham Egerton, 1st Earl Egerton, in 1881. They had four sons and one daughter :
- Walter Egerton George Lucian (1882–1979), married (1) in 1909 Lady Judith Sydney Myee Wynn-Carington (1889–1928), daughter of the 1st and last Marquess of Lincolnshire, (2) in 1931 Diana Cicely Grove (1909–2013). 2 daughters, 3 sons from the first marriage, 1 daughter from the second.
- Arnold Joost William (1884–1964), married (1) in 1921 (div 1938), Doris Lilian Carter, (2) in 1938 Annie Margaret Blanche Purnell, (3) in 1952 Mildred Rodber, without issue from his three unions.
- Rupert Oswald Derek (1886–1964), married in 1919 (annulled in 1921) Violet Mary de Trafford, without issue.
- Elizabeth Mary Gertrude (1890–?), married to Sir Torquhil Matheson, 5th Baronet
- Albert Edward George Arnold (1898–1917), killed in action in Ypres (Belgium), unmarried.
- The London Gazette: . 23 July 1901.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Albemarle
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Edward Bruce Hamley
|Member of Parliament for Birkenhead
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Albemarle