|This article relies on references to primary sources. (November 2011)|
|Born||February 27, 1945
Mt. Clemens, Michigan
Arnold William Klein (born February 27, 1945) is an American dermatologist and Professor of Medicine/Dermatology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA in Los Angeles, California. In the infancy of the AIDS epidemic, Klein became one of the first doctors in Los Angeles to diagnose a case of Kaposi's sarcoma in young patients.
Klein was born on February 27, 1945, in Mt. Clemens, Michigan, the son of a Jewish Orthodox rabbi. He was raised in Michigan and North Miami, Florida, graduating from North Miami High School in 1963.
In 1967, Klein earned his Bachelors degree in Biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, earning his Doctorate of Medicine in 1971. He completed an internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and his residency in dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). In 1975, he served as Chief Resident in Dermatology at UCLA.
Klein developed techniques for minimally invasive physical enhancements such as the use of filler agents for lost volume and botulinum toxin to decrease wrinkles caused by muscle action. These techniques are used worldwide by dermatologist and plastic surgeons.
In 1984, Klein developed lip augmentation, which is the largest filler procedure used worldwide. He assisted in the development of injection techniques to reduce for wrinkles and scars, using bovine collagen. He also with ensuring FDA approval for the medical procedure, which helped launch the field of minimally invasive aesthetic enhancements.
As a result of his contributions to the field of dermatology and the discovery of the use of bovine collagen in addressing the appearance of aging on the skin, as well as blemishes, Klein began receiving requests for speaking engagements on an international scale. He has supported and/or assisted various global medical and pharmaceutical organizations as advisor, consultant, and/or principal investigator. These organizations include Allergan, Anike, Elan Pharmaceuticals, Ethicon, Genzyme, Johnson & Johnson, Medicis Aesthetics, Ortho-Neutrogena, Skin Medica, and Q-Med.
Klein is a professor of Medicine and Dermatology at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. 
Klein is an outspoken critic of the misuse of prescription drugs, toxins, and certain synthetic dermal fillers, including ArteFill. He was responsible for the FDA giving Allergan's Botox a black box warning. Klein was named a consultant to the FDA.
In August 1985, Klein joined the board of the Los Angeles-based National AIDS Research Foundation (NARF). A month later, the Foundation merged with the New York-based AIDS Medical Association, now known jointly as AmfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research. Accordingly, Klein is numbered among the founding directors of the newly created organization. As of 2012[update], he is Trustee Emeriti with AmfAR.
In 2007, Klein founded The Elizabeth Taylor Endowment for the UCLA CARE Center, a facility that focuses on advancing HIV/AIDS research and treatment. In the November 2008 issue of L'Uomo Vogue, in an article related to AIDS in Africa, it was reported that Klein and the organizations which he founded have raised in excess of $274 million for HIV research and care.
Klein serves as a trustee to various boards of directors. Some of which include the Jennifer Jones-Simon Foundation and The Hereditary Disease Foundation. Klein, alongside his old friend Frank Gehry, help the foundation to raise funds and awareness for inherited diseases.
Klein also co-founded the Rose Tarlow-Arnold W. Klein Breast Cancer Foundation at UCLA which provides breast cancer treatment for individuals who are unable to afford it.
Honors and awards
He has received numerous awards and honors including Who's Who in the World, Best Doctors in America, Men of Achievement, AIDS Services Foundation of Orange County, Award of Merit, Los Angeles Magazine, The Best of L.A., Los Angeles Business Journal, 10 Masters of Medicine in Los Angeles, Haney Scholar, University of Pennsylvania, Inaugural Visiting Professor in Cosmetic Dermatology, Harvard School of Medicine, Inaugural Visiting Professor in Cosmetic Dermatology, University of Vermont, Measey Scholar, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Foundation Fellow, Public Health Service Post – Doctoral Fellow, and Top Doctors of America. In 2004, Klein was given a chair in his name at the UCLA Division of Dermatology.
For this work he received multiple awards including, the first annual Allergan Award for Aesthetic Achievements, Allergan Award for Pioneering Work in Soft Tissue Augmentation and the American Dermatologic Association Honor Society.
Dr Klein has published more than 150 scientific papers. Some of these include:
- Klein AW, Cuskey W, Krassner W; Drug Trip Abroad - American Addicts in Amsterdam and London; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; University of Pennsylvania Press; 1972
- Klein AW, Samitz M. Nickel; Dermatitis: hazards from prosthesis; Journal of the American Medical Association; 1973;223:27
- Klein AW, Sternberg J, Bernstein P; The Skin Book; New York, NY; MacMillan; 1980
- Klein, A.W. Implantation techniques for injectable collagen: Two and one-half years of personal clinical experience; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 1983;9(2):224–228
- Kalter S. (Klein A. - Consultant); Looking Up: The Complete Guide to Looking And Feeling Good For The Recovering Cancer Patient; New York, NY; McGraw-Hill; 1987
- Klein, A.W. Injectable Collagen: in Textbook of Dermatology, 3rd ed; Moeschella S, Hurley H, eds.; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: W.D. Saunders; 1992
- Klein, A.W. Substances for soft-tissue augmentation; In: Burgdorf WHC, Katz SI, eds.; Dermatology Progress and Perspectives: The Proceedings of the 18th World Congress of Dermatology; New York, NY: Parthenon Publishing Group; 1993
- Klein, A.W. Sterility of refrigerated injectable collagen syringe; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 1993;29(3):507
- Klein, A.W. Soft-tissue augmentation in the practice of dermatology; In: Moy R, Lask G, eds.; Surgical Dermatology; New York, NY; McGraw-Hill; 1996
- Klein, A.W. Injectable collagen: a tutorial; In: Dzubow L M.D. ed.; Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery; Lippincott-Raven Publishers; 1998
- Klein, A.W. Tissue Augmentation in Clinical Practice: Procedures and Techniques Textbook; Shalita AR M.D., Norris AD M.D., eds.; New York, NY; Marcel Dekker, Inc.; 1998
- Klein, A.W. Substances for soft tissue augmentation; In: Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 5th ed.; New York, NY; McGraw Hill;1999
- Klein AW, Klein J, Narins R; Tumescent liposuction; In: Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 5th ed.; Vol II; New York, NY; McGraw Hill; 1999
- Klein, A.W. Injectable augmentation (fat, collagen); In: Blitzer A M.D., Binder WJ M.D., Boyd JB M.D., Carruthers A M.D., eds.; Management of facial lines and wrinkles; Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins Publishers; 2000:145-176
- Klein, A.W. Filling substances: collagen; In: Narins R M.D., ed.; Cosmetic Surgery: An Interdisciplinary Approach; Marcel Dekker, Inc. Publishers; 2001:193-220
- Klein, A.W. New filling substances on the horizon; In: Narins R M.D., ed.; Cosmetic Surgery: An Interdisciplinary Approach; Marcel Dekker, Inc. Publishers; 2001:313-331
- Klein, A.W. Treatment of wrinkles with botox (forehead, glabella, crow-feet, mental); In: Kreydon OP, Böni R M.D., Burg G, eds.; Hyperhidrosis and botulinum toxin in dermatology; Current Problems in Dermatology; Basel, Krager Publishers 2002; 30:188-217
- Klein AW, Krauss M,; Soft tissue augmentation; In: Kaminer M, Dover J, Arndt K, eds.; Atlas of Cosmetic Surgery; WB Saunders Company, Publishers; 2002:264-290
- Klein AW, Kreyden OP; Storage and dilution of botulinum toxin; In: Boni R, Burg G, Kreyden OP, eds.; Hyperhidrosis and Botulinum Toxin in Dermatology; S. Karger Publishers; 2002;30:126-130
- Klein, A.W.; Carruthers, J. MD; Carruthers, A. MD; Lowe, NJ, MD; et al. A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin type A in the treatment of glabellar lines; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 2002 :46:840-849
- Klein, A.W. Treatment of migraine: letter to the editor; New England Journal of Medicine; Sept 5th 2002;347(10):764-766
- Klein, A.W. Temporary dermal fillers usa; In: Lowe NJ, ed.; Textbook of Facial Rejuvenation: The Art of Minimally Invasive Combination Therapy; Martin Dunitz Publishers 2003;17:189-202
- Klein, A.W. Substances for soft tissue augmentation; In Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 6th ed. New York, NY; McGraw Hill; 2003
- Klein, A.W. Klein J, Narins, R; Tumescent liposuction; In: Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 6th ed. Volume II; New York, NY; McGraw Hill; 2003
- Klein, A.W. "Temporary fillers", In: Nouri K M.D., Leal-Khouri S M.D., eds. Techniques in Dermatologic Surgery, Edinburgh, London, Mosby, 2003.
- Klein, A.W. "Treatment of dyshidrotic hand dermatitis with intradermal botulinum", Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, January 2004. 4 (1)
- Klein, A.W. "Tissue Augmentation in Clinical Practice" Taylor & Francis, January 2006.
- Klein, A.W.; Alam, M; DesJardin J, et al.; "A quality rating scale for aesthetic surgical procedures", Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2006. 54(2): 272-282
- "Arnold William Klein, MD | Dr. Arnold William Klein". Drarnoldklein.com. 1945-02-27. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- May 14, 2011 (2011-05-14). "Dr. Arnold Klein, The Most Innovative & Famous Cosmetic Dermatologist in the World". Beverlyhillstimesmagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Kalter, Suzy (1981-05-25). "Dr. Arnold Klein's Business Is Shady but Lifesaving—He's Out to Prevent Skin Cancer". People.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "UCLA headlines Sept 8, 2008".
- Rundle, Rhonda L. (2007-08-29). "Things Get Ugly Over a Beauty Injection - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Johannes, Laura (2011-01-04). "Botox Injections to Treat Migraines - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Allergan's Q1 Nightmare: Profit Down; Black Box Warning on Botox Vindicates an Old Nemesis; "It's All Medicis' Fault!"". CBS News. 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Biography | Dr. Arnold William Klein". Drarnoldklein.com. 1945-02-27. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Arnold W. Klein, M.D". Web.archive.org. 2011-07-21. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Board of Trustees". Amfar.org. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "ASF Advisory Board | ASF". Ocasf.org. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Committed to the Eradication of HIV Infection Worldwide". UCLA AIDS Institute. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Committed to the Eradication of HIV Infection Worldwide". UCLA AIDS Institute. 2005-11-04. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Dr. Arnold Klein". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Hereditary Disease Foundation - Board of Directors". Hdfoundation.org. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Academic Positions & Honors | Dr. Arnold William Klein". Drarnoldklein.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Champeau, Rachel (2004-07-23). "UCLA Announces New Endowed Chair: The Arnold Klein, M.D., Chair in Dermatology / UCLA Newsroom". Newsroom.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2012-03-08.