He was elected to the Federal Council of Switzerland on 10 December 1986 as a member of the Christian Democratic People's Party of Switzerland from the canton of Appenzell Inner Rhodes. He handed over office on 30 April 1999.
Arnold Koller was Chairman of the Board of the Forum of Federations from 2006 to 2010. This is an international organization designed to help develop best practices in countries around the world with federal and devolved systems of government.
During his time in office he held the following departments:
- Federal Military Department (1987–1988)
- Federal Department of Justice and Police (1989)
- Federal Military Department (1989)
- Federal Department of Justice and Police (1990–1999)
He was President of the Confederation twice in 1990 and 1997.
- Steiner, Jurg. Conscience in Politics: An Empirical Investigation of Swiss Decision Cases. 1996. 150.
- Kreis, Georg, ed. Switzerland and the Second World War. Portland, OR: Frank Cass, 2000. 90.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arnold Koller.|
- Arnold Koller in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Profile of Arnold Koller with election results on the website of the Swiss Federal Council.
|President of the Swiss National Council
|Member of the Swiss Federal Council
|This article about a Swiss politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|