Arnold Schwarzenegger filmography
Arnold Schwarzenegger is an actor who has also been a professional bodybuilder and politician. Schwarzenegger began his acting career primarily with small roles in film and television. For his first film role, he was credited as "Arnold Strong", but was credited with his birth name thereafter. Schwarzenegger has acted in over thirty films, and has also ventured into directing and producing. He has appeared mainly in science fiction, action, and comedy films. In addition to films and television, he has appeared in music videos for AC/DC, Bon Jovi, and Guns N' Roses.
Schwarzenegger has been the primary character in two film franchises: as Conan in the Conan series and as The Terminator in the Terminator series. Other roles include John Matrix in Commando, Ben Richards in The Running Man, Major Alan "Dutch" Schrieffer in Predator, Douglas Quaid in Total Recall, Jack Slater in Last Action Hero and Harry Tasker in True Lies. Although Schwarzenegger's acting career was put on hold due to his position as Governor of California, he made several cameos in various films, including The Kid & I and The Expendables. On February 11, 2011, Schwarzenegger announced he would return to acting.
Schwarzenegger has received several awards and nominations for his work in films. In Stay Hungry, one of his early roles, he won a Golden Globe Award for Best Acting Debut in a Motion Picture. He has also been nominated for various awards for his work in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Junior, and True Lies. According to Box Office Mojo, a box office revenue tracking website, films in which Schwarzenegger has acted have grossed a total of more than $1.7 billion within the United States, with an average of $67 million per film and total $4.0 billion worldwide. According to The Numbers, another box office revenue tracking website, films in which Schwarzenegger has acted have total grossed around $4.5 billion worldwide.
denotes lead role
At the early stages of his acting career, Schwarzenegger played several small roles in episodes for several television shows. This list includes appearances in various episodes of fictional shows, while excluding appearances as himself on talk shows, interview shows, ceremonies, and the like.
|The Streets of San Francisco||1977||Josef Schmidt||"Dead Lift"|
|The San Pedro Beach Bums||1977||Muscleman||"Lifting Is My Life"|
|The Jayne Mansfield Story||1980||Mickey Hargitay||Movie|
|Tales from the Crypt||1990||X-Con||"The Switch"||Also the director|
|Christmas in Connecticut||1992||Man in Chair in front of Media (uncredited)||Movie; also the director|
|Liberty's Kids||2002/03||Baron von Steuben||2 episode: "Valley Forge" (2002), "James Armistead" (2003)||Voice only|
|Two and a Half Men||2015||Lieutenant Wagner||"Of Course He's Dead"||Guest Star|
|Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff||Himself|
Music video appearances
The Guns N' Roses song "You Could Be Mine" was featured prominently in Terminator 2: Judgment Day; the video for the song depicts Schwarzenegger as the T-800 (in both original footage shot for the video and in clips taken from the film). In the 2000 Bon Jovi single "Say It Isn't So", he appeared as himself. He also appeared in AC/DC's music video for "Big Gun" as the character Jack Slater from Last Action Hero.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger > Filmography". Allmovie. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger Filmography". The New York Times. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger – Rotten Tomatoes Celebrity Profile". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger Filmography". Tiscali. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger > Filmography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Chase, Donald (June 8, 1990). "A Hard Man is Good to Film". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Guv to Shoot Action Film Amid Budget Drama". NBC News. February 19, 2009. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Schwarzenegger says he's returning to acting". MSN. February 11, 2011. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Arnold Schwarzenegger". The Numbers. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Arnold, Thomas K. (August 18, 2003). "At the DVD polls, Arnold is the candidate to watch". USA Today. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Goode, Gretchen-Marie (October 25, 2001). "Dr Dolittle 2". The Hartford Courant. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Neal, Rome (September 30, 2003). "The Rock's Movie Smackdown". CBS News. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael (April 22, 2009). "Digital Governator set for 'Terminator'". Variety. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Shattuck, Kathryn (September 1, 2001). "For Young Viewers". The New York Times. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Corliss, Richard (June 24, 2001). "Box-Office Brawn". Time. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Samat, Hafidah (December 15, 2000). "Multi-talented Jon". New Straits Times. Retrieved August 1, 2010.