7 July 1959 |
Rukungiri District, Uganda
|Education||Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Basic Officers Course
Uganda Military Academy, Jinja, Uganda
Strategic Studies Course
United States Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, USA
Senior Military Command Course
Egyptian Military Academy, Cairo, Egypt.
|Years active||1981 — present|
General Aronda Nyakairima (born 7 July 1959) is a Ugandan Army officer who currently serves in the Ugandan Cabinet, as Minister of Internal Affairs since 2013. Previously he was Chief of Defense Forces, the highest military rank in the Uganda People's Defense Force. He was born in Rukungiri District.
He attended Kitgum High School in Kitgum District. He joined Makerere University in 1978, graduating in 1981, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in political science. He attended the Basic Officers Course in 1989, after the NRA had captured power in Kampala, Uganda's capital city. He later attended a course in Strategic Studies at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, USA. He also has further military qualifications from the Egyptian Military Academy in Cairo.
He joined the National Resistance Army in 1982, soon after leaving Makerere. After the NRA captured power, he worked as an intelligence officer in the Ugandan military. He later was appointed Assistant Director in the Directorate of Military Intelligence in the Uganda People's Defense Force (UPDF). He was then transferred to the Presidential Protection Unit as an Intelligence Officer. From there, he served as the Commanding Officer of the Armored Brigade before his appointment as Commander of the UPDF in 2003. He has represented the UPDF in the Ugandan Parliament since 1996.
In October 2010, General Nyakairima was inducted into the International Hall of Fame at the Lewis and Clark Centre at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States of America, for attaining the highest position in the military of his country. Nyakairima, a 1993 graduate of Fort Leavenworth, was inducted together with General Eui Don Wang of South Korea, a 1986 graduate of the command college, and Major General Richard Rhys Jones of New Zealand, a 1992 graduate. Nyakairmina was appointed to the cabinet as Minister of Internal Affairs on 23 May 2013. General Katumba Wamala was appointed to replace him as Chief of Defence Forces on the same day.
General Aronda Nyakairima is married. He does not drink or smoke. He is fluent in multiple languages including:
- Newvision, Archive (26 October 2005). "Aronda Nyakairima's Star Illuminates UPDF Path". New Vision. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- ., . (2011). "Aronda Nyakairima's Page At Parliament.co.ug". Parliament of Uganda. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Raymond Baguma, And Agencies (6 October 2010). "US College To Honour General Nyakairima". New Vision. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Musoke, Ronald (24 May 2013). "General Aronda Nyakairima New Internal Affairs Minister As Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Kato, Joshua (24 May 2013). "Katumba Wamala New CDF". New Vision. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Profile at Uganda Parliament Website
- Profile at New Vision Newspaper
- Ft. Leavenworth Honors Three Foreign Generals
Succession table in Uganda People's Defense Force
James Kazini R.I.P.
|Chief of Defense Forces of Uganda
2003 - 2013