Arpaïs Du Bois
|Arpaïs Du Bois|
Arpaïs Du Bois in Galerie Geukens and De Vil, Antwerp, Belgium, on December 9, 2010
Her works on paper in diary-like books form a significant portion of her artwork. Utilizing word and image associations are characteristic of Du Bois's work, as is the use of language. Her paintings are digested comments on earlier drawings. Concerning her artwork, Du Bois remarked, "When I find a drawing in which I think others will see something, then I take it along for a painting. I have lived all my paintings, so to speak. Painting is an adventure".
Arpaïs Du Bois has been working on a daily blog since 2008 called "Instant de jour et dessin d'un soir", which is a daily posted photograph combined with a daily drawing.
Concerning Du Bois's artwork, Roger Pierre Turine has stated, "Between dreams, pains, fears and passing euphoria, they are witness drawings and crutches to the artist whenever she doubts." Anne-Marie Poels remarked, "Du Bois sees, thinks, feels, hears and lets the result of this flow onto paper".
- Bundel Lichamen, Toohcsmi, 2001
- Histoire, Imschoot, 2004
- Des illusions virgule, Toohcsmi, 2005
- Where We Met, Lannoo Publishers, 2011, ISBN 978-90-209-5788-4
Selected solo exhibitions:
- "Mon rêve avait une jambe de bois" 2003, Asse
- "Histoire" 2004, Aulnay-sous-Bois, (Paris)
- "Petites graines de tous les jours" 2006, Prague
- "Le sauvetage de la grande béquille" 2008, Antwerp
- "Du corps au monde" 2010-2011, Kapellen
- "Trois cent quatre-vingt-onze, deux mille sept cent quarante huit" 2011, Antwerp.
- 46 sketchbooks with a total of 2748 drawings, that together form the diaries of one year and 26 days. A mirror of herself in two thousand and a few splinters.
- "Face au(x deux) mur(s)", 2012, Hasselt
- "Where They Met", with Yamamoto Masao, 2012, Antwerp.
- "Where They Met - and Further", with Yamamoto Masao, Semina Rerum, 2012, Zürich
Selected group exhibitions:
- "Tekeningen" 2004, Gent
- "Papier" 2007, Antwerp
- "Drawing Actions" 2009, Geel
- "When Will They Finally See the Power of Drawing" 2010-2011, Antwerp.
- "Tchip Tchip", 2012
- alongside Philippe Vandenberg, Masahisa Fukase, Raphaël Buedts, …, Marchin
- "Raak", 2012
- "The Golem-Project", TINA-B, 2012, Prague
- Le Blanc, Nathalie (2008-11-28). "Voor kunstenares Arpaïs Du Bois is haar tekenwerk een kruk om op te steunen" [For artist Arpaïs Du Bois, her drawing work is a crutch to lean on.] (PDF). De Morgen (in Dutch). Archived from the original on December 2008.
- Turine, Roger Pierre (November 2008). "Le sauvetage de la grande béquille" [The rescue of the big crutch] (PDF). AAA Collect (in French). Archived from the original on December 2008.
- Poels, Anne-Marie (November 2008). "Arpaïs Du Bois" (PDF). <h>ART (in Dutch). Archived from the original on December 2008.
- Rinckhout, Eric (2011-01-28). "Elke dag een tekening, een jaar lang" [A drawing every day, for a year] (PDF). De Morgen (in Dutch). p. 38. Archived from the original on February 2011.
- Poels, Anne-Marie (March 2012). "Yamamoto Masao en ARPAÏS du bois" [Yamamoto Masao and ARPAÏS du bois] (PDF). <h>ART (in Dutch). Archived from the original on March 2012.
- "(when will they finally see) THE POWER OF DRAWING". Zone03 (in Dutch).
- Lorent, Claude (2010-12-24,25,26). "Bel hommage au dessin" [A beautiful tribute to drawing] (in French). La Libre Belgique. p. 48. Archived from the original on 2010-12-24.
- Popelier, Bert (2010-12-15). "Revival van de tekenkunst" [Revival of the art of drawing] (in Dutch). De Tijd. p. 30. Archived from the original on 2010-12-15.