British NVC community MG1
It is a very widespread community throughout the British lowlands. There are five subcommunities.
This type of plant community was described in 1919 as Arrhenatheretum elatioris Br.-Bl..
The following constant species are found in this community:
This community is very widespread in lowland areas in England, Wales and southern and eastern Scotland.
- the Festuca rubra subcommunity, subdivided into:
- a Centaurea scabiosa variant
- a Geranium pratense variant
- a Bromus sterilis variant
- a Myrrhis odorata variant
- an Epilobium angustifolium variant
- the Urtica dioica subcommunity, subdivided into:
- a Papaver rhoeas variant
- an Artemisia vulgaris variant
- an Epilobium hirsutum variant
- the Filipendula ulmaria subcommunity
- the Pastinaca sativa subcommunity
- the Centaurea nigra subcommunity
- Rodwell, J. S. (1992) British Plant Communities Volume 3 - Grasslands and montane communities ISBN 0-521-39166-0 (hardback), ISBN 0-521-62719-2 (paperback)