|Traded as||ASX: ARI|
|Industry||Mining, Mining Consumables, Manufacturing, Recycling, and Distribution|
|Founded||Spun off on 23 October 2000 as OneSteel Ltd from BHP Billiton. The company then changed its name on 2 July 2012 to Arrium Limited.|
|Headquarters||Suncorp Place, Sydney, Australia|
|Number of locations||New Zealand, Indonesia, Chile, Mexico, USA, Canada, Peru|
|Key people||Peter Smedley (Chairman, Non Exec. Director)
Andrew Roberts (Executive Director, Managing Director, CEO)
|Products||iron ore, steel products|
|Revenue||A$6.841 billion (Y.E. 30 June 2013)|
|Net income||(A$695) million|
Arrium is an ASX listed international mining and materials company with sales revenue for the 2013 financial year of $6.841 billion, and approximately 10,000 employees.
The company was spun out from BHP Billiton in 2000 as OneSteel when it was almost entirely a domestically focussed steel manufacturer and distributor. The company has subsequently focussed on growing its resource based businesses and now has significant mining and mining consumables businesses, as well as its steel and recycling business. In June 2006, an agreement was announced under which OneSteel would buy out scrap metal company Smorgon Steel for $USD 1.2 billion. However, concerns by the Australian competition regulator, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) resulted in significant delays in this process, as did concerns from Australian construction industry trade unions regarding possible job losses from the merger of the two operations. The merger was completed in August 2007.
On 15 November 2010 OneSteel agreed to acquire two companies, Chile-based forged steel grinding balls producer Moly-Cop, and Canada-based AltaSteel, a producer of ball stock for forged grinding balls, for a total of $932 million.
On 22 December 2011 OneSteel sold its Piping Systems business, and associated property investments, to U.S.-based McJunkin Red Man Holding for a total of $100m.
On 2 July 2012 OneSteel officially became Arrium Limited.
The company has three primary reporting segments:
- Arrium Mining, which currently exports approximately six million tonnes of hematite ore to China per annum from its Middleback Ranges mining operation in South Australia. The business expects to increase its export sales to a rate of approximately 11 million tonnes per annum by mid-2013 through bringing on-line additional sales from its Southern Iron operations in South Australia and the doubling of its port capacity at Whyalla, South Australia to approximately 12 million tonnes per annum.
- Arrium Mining Consumables, which includes Moly-Cop grinding media, the largest supplier of grinding media (grinding balls and grinding rods) in the world, servicing the global mining industry, particularly the copper, gold and iron ore sectors. The business sells grinding media in South America, North America and Australasia supplying around 950 thousand tonnes of product per annum.
- OneSteel Steel & Recycling, a manufacturing, distribution and recycling businesses. The division manufactures long steel products, structural pipe and tube, and wire products in Australia; it distributes structural steel and reinforcing products in Australia with around 200 sites across the country, and supplies scrap metal to foundries, smelters and steel mills in Australia and internationally.
- OneSteel Ltd - Company Profile and Status
- FT.com / In depth - OneSteel buys Smorgon Steel for A$1.6bn
- Union concerned over OneSteel, Smorgon merger. 23 August 2006. ABC News Online
- OneSteel lays of 270 workers, unions howl. 15 February 2008. LiveNews.com.au
- "Australian OneSteel acquires Chile, Canada producers for $932 mil". added acquisition. Platts. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- "OneSteel shares jump on sale of Piping Systems". The Australian. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "OneSteel Limited Completes Acquisition Of WPG Resources Limited’s Subsidiary Companies".
- "OneSteel officially becomes Arrium Ltd".
- Railexpress.com.au "Arrium calls for interstate track upgrade" (2012-11-07) Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Arrium Mining - Company Profile
- Arrium Mining Consumables - Company Profile
- OneSteel Website