Davies playing for Exeter City in 2013
|Full name||Arron Rhys Davies|
|Date of birth||22 June 1984|
|Place of birth||Cardiff, Wales|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|2004||→ Barnsley (loan)||4||(0)|
|2009||→ Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||7||(0)|
|2010||Brighton & Hove Albion||0||(0)|
|2010||→ Yeovil Town (loan)||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:09, 21 February 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Davies was brought up in Llantwit Major, where he attended Llantwit Major Comprehensive School.
He joined Southampton's Centre of Excellence at Bath before moving up to the Academy. He made his first appearance for the reserves in September 2001 and became a regular for the Saints reserves in the 2002–03 season after moving from the wing to a striking role. In March/April 2003 he scored 4 times in 5 reserve games, which brought him to the attention of first team manager Gordon Strachan who named Davies in his initial 20-man squad for the 2003 FA Cup final although he failed to make the bench. He also travelled to Bucharest for Saints' UEFA Cup tie.
Although seemingly on the verge of breaking into the senior team, Davies never made a first team appearance for Southampton. In February 2004 he went on loan to Second Division side Barnsley where he made his debut for the club in a 1–0 lost against Wrexham on 14 February 2004. Davies went on to make four appearances, although never being on the winning side. Following the arrival of Harry Redknapp as Southampton manager in December 2004, Davies was released.
On 16 December 2004, he moved to League Two side Yeovil Town on a free transfer after a trial when he played in the reserves match. On 18 December 2004, Davies scored his debut which was a winning goal in a 3–2 win over Leyton Orient and scored the next game on 26 December 2004 in a 4–1 win over Cheltenham Town. On 29 January 2005 in the FA Cup fourth round, Davies scored the second goal for Yeovil in a 3–2 loss against Charlton Athletic. Davies began scoring four straight matches against Chester City, Scunthorpe United, Grimsby Town and Northampton Town. On 9 April 2005, Davies scored in an early minute in the game with a 5–2 win over Mansfield Town and scored in the next game on 16 April 2005, Davies scored the first goal in the match with 1–1 draw against Kidderminster Harriers.
After a solid first season with the Glovers promoted to League One, Davies blossomed during 2005–06, scoring 8 league goals. On 20 September 2005, Davies scored in a 2–1 loss against Millwall of the second round of the League Cup. On 22 October 2005, Davies scored his first of the season in a 3–0 win over Nottingham Forest. In the FA Cup second round, Davies scored the fourth goal in the match with a 4–0 win over Macclesfield Town on 15 November 2005. On 4 March 2006, he scored a hat-trick at Chesterfield with a 3–0 victory. On 21 March 2006, Davies scored the second goal for Yeovil in a 2–0 win over Walsall. On 1 April 2006, Davies scored in a 2–1 loss against Bristol City. On 8 April 2006, Davies scored the fourth goal for Yeovil in a 3–0 win over Doncaster Rovers. On 22 April 2006, Davies scored the fourth goal for Yeovil in a 4–3 win over Gillingham. At the end of the season, Davies signed a new two-year contract with Yeovil, keeping him until 2008.
After a second season with the Glovers managed successfully safety in the League Two, Davies scored his first of the season in a 3–2 win over Huddersfield Town on 16 September 2006. On 4 November 2006, Davies scored in a 2–1 win over Bristol City. On 26 December 2006, Davies scored in a 3–1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion. On 27 January 2007, Davies scored a brace in a 2–0 win over Bradford City. On 9 April 2007, Davies scored a winning goal in a 2–1 win over Leyton Orient.
In 2006–07 Davies scored 6 league goals. On 18 May 2007, he scored twice in Yeovil's 5–2 Football League One play-off semi-final win against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground helping Yeovil to a 5–4 aggregate win. But Yeovil lost 2–0 against Blackpool on 27 May 2007 in the League One Play Offs Final.
In a combined £1.2m deal with team-mate Chris Cohen, Davies moved to another League One side, Nottingham Forest, on 6 July 2007, signing a 3-year contract. He has missed the start of the 2007–08 campaign due to injury but finally made his debut by coming off the bench in Forest's 0–0 draw against Oldham on 30 October 2007. He scored his first goal for the club in the 2–0 win against Crewe Alexandra, but a couple of injuries saw him move down the pecking order and failed to make any real impact for The Reds, scoring just once in nineteen appearances. He did, however, help Forest gain promotion to the Championship. The 2008–09 season was ruined by injury limiting him to just 12 league appearances all season.
On 1 September 2009, Davies signed a loan deal with League One side Brighton & Hove Albion until 31 December 2009. However, after only 7 appearances, Brighton terminated his loan spell on 2 December 2009 and Davies returned to Nottingham Forest.
Return to Yeovil
A proposed move to join his former club, Yeovil Town, in January 2010 collapsed because FIFA regulations state that a player "may only play for two clubs in any one season where he has been on contract or a standard loan", which prevented him signing for a third club. To avoid these regulations, on 11 February 2010, Davies was signed on non-contract terms for Brighton & Hove Albion and then was immediately loaned out until the end of the season back to Yeovil.
Having been released by Yeovil at the end of the season Davies was signed by former boss Gary Johnson for Peterborough United on a two-year contract. On 7 August 2010, Davies made his debut for the club in a 3–0 win over Bristol Rovers. In a match against Tranmere Rovers with a 1–0 loss on 4 September 2010, Davies sustained the injury after picking up a hamstring injury. Davies was out for three weeks. On 2 October 2010, Davies able to make a return in a 1–0 win over Carlisle United. On 2 November 2010, Davies scored his first goal in over 3 years and setting up a goal for Ryan Bennett in a 3–1 win over against Walsall. Later in the season, Peterbrough was promoted to the Championship after winning the play-offs.
Davies was signed by Gary Johnson for a third time on 30 June 2011 signing for League Two side Northampton Town. On his move, Davies says he was Inspired by Johnson to join the club. On 6 August 2011, Davies made his debut for the club in a 0–0 draw against Accrington Stanley. On 20 August 2011, Davies scored his first goal in a 3–2 loss against Cheltenham Town. On 3 September 2011, Davies scored his second goal in a 2–2 draw against Southend United. On 24 September 2011, Davies scored his third goal in a 2–1 win over Dagenham & Redbridge and scored the next game on 1 October 2011 in a 2–1 win over Barnet. Johnson's time ended in mid-November 2011 after being sacked and was replaced by Aidy Boothroyd. Under Boothroyd, Davies first team opportunities was limited and didn't play for the rest of the season.
On 4 July 2012, Davies had his contract terminated with Northampton Town by mutual consent.
On his release from Northampton Town, Davies signed for Exeter City. After his move, Manager Paul Tisdale believes Davies move to Exeter City is a chance for him to resurrect his career. Arron cemented his space on the left side of Exeter's midfield during the 2012–13 season after their relegation into League Two the season prior. The 2013/14 season saw Davies scoring 2 goals in the first 12 games, one of which was a spectacular dipping long range effort from the sideline against Scunthorpe United F.C. in a 4–0 away win. The goal was voted by Exeter supporters as the club's goal of the season.
Davies has represented his country at all levels including captaining Wales at under-21 level. He earned his first senior international cap for Wales, coming off the bench in a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago shortly before the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
- As of 8 November 2014.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Yeovil Town (loan)||
|Yeovil Town Total||111||22||6||2||3||1||5||2||125||27|
|Nottingham Forest Total||32||1||5||0||3||0||0||0||40||1|
|Brighton & Hove Albion||
|Exeter City Total||81||6||2||0||3||0||1||0||87||6|
- Saints' youth team news update (broken link)
- Duncan Holley & Gary Chalk (2003). In That Number – A post-war chronicle of Southampton FC. Hagiology Publishing. ISBN 0-9534474-3-X.
- "Glovers trial Davies". Sky Sports. 16 December 2004. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Glovers trial Davies". Sky Sports. 15 December 2004. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Addicks get past Glovers". Sky Sports. 29 January 2005. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Chesterfield 0–3 Yeovil". BBC News. 4 March 2006.
- "Davies stays at Yeovil". Sky Sports. 31 May 2006. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Dead-eye Davies sends Yeovil to Wembley
- Forest seal deal for Glovers duo
- One In, One Out, Brighton & Hove Albion F.C., 1 September 2009
- Forest Duo Leave Albion The Argus, 2 December 2009. Retrieved 2 December 2009
- "Forest release quartet". Sky Sports. 19 January 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Yeovil Town are denied the signing of Arron Davies". BBC Sport. 29 January 2010.
- "A Huish Park Return for Arron". Yeovil Town F.C. 11 February 2010. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Arron Davies signs two-year Peterborough deal". BBC Sport. 9 July 2010.
- "Hamstring blow for Davies". Sky Sports. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Peterborough United release listed winger Arron Davies". BBC Sport. 29 June 2011.
- "Davies is latest new addition". Northampton Town F.C. 30 June 2011.
- "Davies admires Cobblers boss". Sky Sports. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Midfielder Davies has Cobblers contract terminated". Northampton Chronicle & Echo. 4 July 2012.
- "Exeter City sign Northampton winger Arron Davies". BBC Sport. 5 July 2012.
- "Scunthorpe 0–4 Exeter". BBC Sport. 19 October 2013.
- "Arron Davies". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2002/2003". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2003/2004". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2004/2005". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2005/2006". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2006/2007". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2009/2010". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2007/2008". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Games played by Arron Davies in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arron Davies.|
- Arron Davies career statistics at Soccerbase
- Photo gallery whilst with Wales under-21 team
- Profile on Yeovil Town fansite