Arsha (community development block)
|Arsha (CD Block)
আড়সা সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|Community development block|
|Assembly constituency||Balarampur, Baghmundi|
|• Total||102 sq mi (264 km2)|
|• Density||1,270/sq mi (489/km2)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5.30)|
Arsha (community development block) is an administrative division in Purulia Sadar West subdivision of Purulia district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Arsha and Purulia Muffasil police stations serve this block. Headquarters of this block is at Sirkabad.
Jaina Bhagavati-Sutra of 5th century AD mentions that Purulia was one of the sixteen mahajanapadas and was a part of the kingdom known as Vajra-bhumi in ancient times. In 1833, Manbhum district was carved out of Jungle Mahals district, with headquarters at Manbazar. In 1838, the headquarters was transferred to Purulia. In 1956, Manbhum district was partitioned between Bihar and West Bengal under the States Reorganization Act and the Bihar and West Bengal (Transfer of Territories) Act 1956.
Arsha is located at.
As per 2001 census, Arsha block had a total population of 129,108, out of which 65,996 were males and 63,112 were females. Arsha block registered a population growth of 15.36 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for Purulia district was 13.96 per cent.Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.
As per 2001 census, Arsha block had a total literacy of 46.02 per cent for the 6+ age group. While male literacy was 67.43 per cent female literacy was 23.60 per cent. Purulia district had a total literacy of 55.57 per cent, male literacy being 73.72 per cent and female literacy being 36.50 per cent.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Purulia district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 4, Purulia District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Historical background". Purulia District. Archived from the original on 2008-01-03. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- Houlton, Sir John, Bihar, the Heart of India, 1949, p. 170, Orient Longmans Ltd.
- "Annexure A to G.O No.121(Sanction)-RD/CCA/BRGF/1C-5/08". Allotment under BRGF Fund 1st Instalment 2010-11 – Purulia District. Government of West Bengal - Department of Panchayats & Rural Development. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "TRU for all Districts (SC & ST and Total)". Census 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 5, Purulia District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-08-08.