Warsi in March 2013
19 April 1968 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Actor, Playback singer, Television Presenter, Movie producer|
|Years active||1996 - present|
|Spouse(s)||Maria Goretti (1999 - present)|
Arshad Warsi (Born 19 April 1968 in Mumbai, Maharashtra) is an Indian film actor. He made his debut in 1996 with Tere Mere Sapne which managed to succeed at the box office. He is best known for his role as "Circuit" in the comedy series Munnabhai M.B.B.S. (2003) and Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006). He is also recognized for his role as Babban in Ishqiya (2010) and it's sequel Dedh Ishqiya (2014), and for his role inJolly LLB (2013) of which all won him acclaim and also with the latter he has been able to score his first solo hit.
Early life and education
Warsi was born into a Parsi family in Mumbai, India, and did his schooling at a boarding school, Barnes School, Deolali in Nashik district, Maharashtra. He was orphaned at the age of 14 and struggled for a living in Mumbai during his early days.
Financial circumstances forced Warsi to start work as a door-to-door cosmetics salesman at age 17. Later he worked in a photo lab. Meanwhile he had a keen interest in dancing and received an offer to join Akbar Sami's Dance group in Mumbai, which started his dancing and choreographing career. He also assisted Mahesh Bhatt in Thikana (1987) and Kaash (1987).
Then in 1991, he won the Indian dance competition, followed by the fourth prize in the Modern Jazz category in 1992 World Dance championship, London, at the age of 21. Soon, he started his own dance studio, 'Awesome' with that money and also formed a dance troupe. It was here, his future wife, Maria Goretti, a St. Andrew's College student joined him, before she became a VJ. He was also associated with English theater group in Mumbai, choreographing shows for Bharat Dabholkar and got an opportunity to choreograph the title track for the film, Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja (1993).
As an actor
He got his first offer to act in Amitabh Bachchan's production company, ABCL's first production Tere Mere Sapne in 1996. After its success, he acted in several other films over the next six years, but most of which failed to do well at the box office. In 2003, he rose to fame when he starred as a pivotal supporting character in the comedy film Munnabhai MBBS opposite Sanjay Dutt, which turned out to be a huge box office success and gained him much critical acclaim and a nomination at the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor. He has since appeared in several successful films as an supporting actor including Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya (2005), Salaam Namaste (2005), Golmaal (2006), Kabul Express (2006) and Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006) which also won him his first Filmfare Award under the category of Best Comedian. From 2007 to 2010, Warsi appeared in non-stop box office successes, including Dhamaal (2007), Golmaal Returns (2008), Ishqiya (2010) and Golmaal 3 (2010). His 2011 releases include the comedies F.A.L.T.U and Double Dhamaal, which were both above average grossers. His first release of 2013 was Zila Ghaziabad in which he played an negative role. His latest film is Jolly LLB, Warsi's first official solo hit. The film released on 15th March 2013, and received critical acclaim, and turned out to be the first Hit in India of the year 2013. He is currently working on the third Munnabhai sequel, Munnabhai Chale Delhi which is expected to go on floors late 2014 hopefully.
As a producer
Warsi has made a mark for himself on the small screen as well. He hosted a popular award show Sabse Favourite Kaun for STAR Gold. He was the host of Bigg Boss, Season 1, the Indian version of the reality television series Big Brother which was aired on Sony. He was also the co-host of a dance show Razzmatazz on Zee TV. He has also done a small cameo in a television show, Ishaan.
Warsi married Maria Goretti on 14 February 1999. They have a son named Zeke Warsi, born on 10 August 2004. Both Maria and Zeke made a special appearance in Salaam Namaste. On 2 May 2007, the couple had a baby girl named Zene Zoe Warsi. During his school days, Warsi was a national level gymnast.
- 2004: Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role - Munnabhai M.B.B.S.
- 2005: GIFA Best Comedian Award - Hulchul
- 2007: Filmfare Best Comedian Award - Lage Raho Munna Bhai
- 2007: IIFA Award for Best Supporting Actor - Lage Raho Munna Bhai
- 2007: Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role - Lage Raho Munna Bhai
- 2007: Star Screen Award for Best Supporting Actor - Lage Raho Munna Bhai
- 2011: Star Screen Award for Best Supporting Actor - Ishqiya
|1996||Tere Mere Sapne||Ballu|
|1998||Mere Do Anmol Ratan||Narinder (Naren)|
|Hero Hindustani||Dev Amalraj|
|1999||Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet||Kishan|
|2001||Mujhe Meri Biwi Se Bachaao||Rocky|
|2002||Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani||Abdul|
|2003||Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part II||Punit Sanyal|
|Munnabhai M.B.B.S.||Circuit||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2005||Kuch Meetha Ho Jaaye||Manager S.R. Khan|
|Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya||Vicky|
|Sehar||SSP Ajay Kumar|
|Salaam Namaste||Rajeev 'Ron' Mathur||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|Vaah! Life Ho To Aisi||Fakira B.P.C.M.||Special Appearance|
|2006||Golmaal Fun Unlimited||Madhav Singh 'Madhu' Ghai|
|Anthony Kaun Hai?||Champ|
|Lage Raho Munnabhai||Circuit||Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role|
|Kabul Express||Jai Kapoor (TV Journalist - Cinematographer)|
|2007||Dhamaal||Aditya 'Adi' Shrivastav|
|Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Shaan Ali Khan|
|Mr. White Mr. Black||Kishen|
|Golmaal Returns||ACP Madhav Singh Ghai|
|2009||Kisse Pyaar Karoon||Siddharth (Sid)|
|Ek Se Bure Do||Toti|
|Shortcut: The Con is on||Raju|
|2010||Ishqiya||Babban||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|Hum Tum Aur Ghost||Armaan Suri|
|2012||Ajab Gazabb Love||Subramanium||Cameo|
|2013||Zilla Ghaziabad||Prakash Fauji|
|Jolly LLB||Jagdish Tyagi (Jolly)|
|Rabba Main Kya Karoon||Shravan|
|2014||Mr Joe B. Carvalho||Joe B. Carvalho|
|The Legend of Michael Mishra||Michael Mishra||Filming|
Under the banner "Shooting Star Films", he has produced the following films.
|2010||Hum Tum Aur Ghost||26 March 2010|
|2013||Hungame pe Hungama||12 June 2013|
- 2006 - Lage Raho Munnabhai - Song: "Samjho Ho Hi Gaya"
- 2003 - Munnabhai M.B.B.S. - Song: "Apun Jaisa Tapori"
- "Arshad Warsi". chakpak.com. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- Holi, Arshad Warsi style
- "Arshad rejects politics but will give Sanjay 'moral' support". Daily News and Analysis. 1 February 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "On a roll: Meet Arshad Warsi - the real life hero of the rags-to-riches story". The Hindu. 18 November 2003. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "I want to make my own films: Arshad". The Times of India. 10 February 2010.
- "Personal agenda: Arshad Warsi". Hindustan Times. February 06, 2010.
- "How To Break The Circuit:Profile". Tehelka. February 13, 2010.
- "Munnabhai Chale Amerika Movie Begins Next Year". Indiaserver.com. 2009-07-03. Archived from the original on 25 March 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Arshad Warsi & Maria Goretti head to splitsville?". 7 October 2008. Archived from the original on 8 April 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Arshad Warsi Biography". Zoomtv.in. Archived from the original on 26 April 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "Meet the gymnast: Arshad Warsi Interview". DnaIndia.com. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arshad Warsi.|