February 2014 cover of ARTnews
|Frequency||Published eleven times a year|
|Founder||James Clarence Hyde|
|First issue||1902as Hydes Weekly Art News|
|Based in||New York City, New York|
It covers art from ancient to contemporary times. It includes news dispatches from correspondents, investigative reports, reviews of exhibitions, and profiles of artists and collectors.
History and operations
The magazine's art critics and correspondents include Arthur Danto, Linda Yablonsky, Barbara Pollock, Hilarie Sheets, Yale School of Art dean Robert Storr, Doug McClemont and Museum of Modern Art director Glenn D. Lowry.
In April 2014, Milton and Judith Esterow, the magazine's owners since 1972, sold the publication to Skate Capital Corp., a private asset-management firm owned by Sergey Skaterschikov. It was later revealed that Skate Capital was acting on behalf of the Polish company Abbey House, which renamed itself ARTNEWS SA.
The magazine has won 45 awards in the last three decades, including the George Polk Award, the National Magazine Award for General Excellence, the National Headliner Award and the National Arts Club Distinguished Citation for Merit.
On occasion, the magazine has been quoted by other media.[clarification needed]
The magazine's offices are at 48 West 38th Street in Manhattan.
- Ng, David (June 27, 2014). "ARTnews Magazine Gets New Leadership, With a Twist". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- "Alliance for Audited Media Snapshot Report – 6/30/2013". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
-  PDF format.
- Staff (undated). "The Most Influential Americans in Art". New York. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- (registration required) "Donors Sweetened Director's Pay at MoMA". February 16, 2007. The New York Times.
- [dead link] Cohen, Patricia (April 8, 2014). "ARTnews Sold to Private Company". The New York Times.
- (registration required) Compiled by Rachel Lee Harris (July 5, 2009). "Report Finds Abundance of Fake Russian Paintings". The New York Times. Russia. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- [dead link]Billions (June 23, 2010). "Billionaire Art Aficionados". Forbes. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- [dead link] Harris, Marlys (July 3, 2007). "How to Marry a Billionaire". CNN. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- Ng, David (June 30, 2010). "L.A. Billionaires Among ARTnews' Top 200 Collectors for 2010". Culture Monster (blog of the Los Angeles Times). Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Gluckman, Nell (June 27, 2008). "ARTnews Names Top 200 Collectors". The New York Sun. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Sandler, Linda (October 30, 2007). "Koons, Hirst Aren't on ARTnews List of Famous Future Artists". Bloomberg News. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Staff (August 16, 2009). "The Nouveau Fakes: Russian Avant-Garde Forgeries". The Independent. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Staff (July 28, 2010). "Kim Chang-il Among World's Top 200 Collectors". The Korea Herald. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- artnews.com, the magazine's official website